Abu commits to N.C. State basketball

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Sep 7, 2013.

1. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,728
    In case some may have missed the announcement

2. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +631
    Have fun playing in the NBA... Developmental League. Because you sure won't get developed in Raleigh.
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +627
    It's not a big deal and I wish him well. There are no "must have" players for the Gators. We succeed without landing every guy on our list.
  4. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    I have to agree if "he liked the way the Wolfpack used athletic power forward C.J. Leslie." Leslie was harmed by going to NC State.
  5. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I agree that this kid does not project as a must-have recruit and that the Gators are in excellent shape for next year. I won't even use the adjective "worrisome." But, there is something bothersome about UF's inability to close with many highly rated high school big men, given the program's consistent success and national prominence. I have no idea what the factors in play are, but logically to me they have to extend beyond Billy's system and standards and the existing competition for playing time. This is a program with inherent appeal and advantages that shouldn't stop with signing Chris Walker and a couple of transfers.
  6. BLING

BLING Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    There is no one "must have" recruit, and Donovan has always had a nice roster. Our guard recruiting is also as stellar as ever.

However at some point, it's a "must" that you actually land a big man. If we don't land a big man in 2014 class, and unless Chris Walker qualifies, that could be FOUR STRAIGHT recruiting classes where we will not have signed a power forward that shows up on campus. Not a top 25 PF, or top 100 PF, but literally any inside post player at all. If we lose anyone early (such as the transfers that give us huge depth in 2013) we will be forced to run with a 4 guard lineup in 2014. Even if everybody comes back, we might still be running a 4 guard lineup in 2014 due to lack of depth inside.

I guess at some point we will get a 2014 PF, just because eventually somebody will see the opportunity for playing time at a major basketball program. But it's amazing to me that none of the top guys are coming.
  7. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,728
    I think this one hurt a bit.
  8. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,640
    In a year he will want to transfer to a school that has a coach that puts bigs in the NBA like crazy.
  9. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,072
    All around great weekend
  10. 33hoop

33hoop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Now what? Another swing and a miss on getting a big man. My guess is we will offer some stiff like Larson or Pitchford that will be of no use to us other than keeping a seat on the bench warm. Our big man recruiting is in serious need of improvement. Why are our coaches struggling to land top bigs when playing time is gonna be available after Young and company graduate? Walker had better qualify and stay for a second year or we are gonna see the consequences of our lack of success in getting bigs.
  11. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    I guess Abu's recruitment came down to two competing messages.

NC State message: We've been to two straight NCAA tournaments, which represents the most success we've had since firing Herb Sendek nearly a decade ago. I got fired by the world's biggest football school because of my mediocrity. Our most distinguished alum currently playing in the NBA is JJ Hickson. We haven't won a conference championship since 1989.

Florida message: We've played in three straight Elite Eights. We've won two conference titles in the last three years. We have a ton of players thriving in the NBA, including a bevvy of big men. We're routinely on national television and we compete on the highest level consistently. And we'll likely have plenty of playing time available by the time you enroll. Certainly by your sophomore year.

If a player prefers the first message, finds it more attractive...I mean, OK. Human beings are unique entities. We're all appealed to in different ways. But I'm not really sure what Donovan can say when someone prefers message A.
  12. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    I really don't understand why these big men don't want to come play for Florida. Look at Billy's recent track record of putting productive players in the league:

Udonis Haslem
    David Lee
    Al Horford
    Joakim Noah
    Chandler Parsons
    Matt Bonner
    Marreese Speights

All solid productive NBA players. Compared to a guy like Bill Self, who puts bust after bust into the NBA.
  13. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    I'd say I wish you well, but I'm getting tired of losing out on big men.

Have fun playing for nothing but a draft spot kid
  14. 33hoop

33hoop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +32

I agree, that is one reason it is so frustrating and hard to understand. We have done an outstanding job in getting guards but for some reason, we just keep striking out with bigs. I thought Burno was gonna pay dividends with his connections in the east but he hasn't done any better than Richard Pitino that I am aware of.
  15. 33hoop

33hoop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    We've been a hat on the table for a number of top bigs but can't seal the deal. Time to rethink our strategy on recruiting bigs because whatever we are doing apparently isn't working. Donovan has been a great recruiter in the past and has thought of a lot of creative ways to get a leg up on the competition while staying within the guidelines of the rules. He needs to go back to that way of thinking and come up with some things that will make a lasting impact upon the bigs that we recruit. Heck, maybe he is doing that and it still isn't working. Just frustrated at this situation.
  16. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    I don't think that Billy's recruiting strategy has changed one bit. We just hear a lot more about the misses. We missed on a bunch of recruits in 2004 before settling for Brewer, Horford, Noah and Green.
  17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    I see Gator fans crying about how we can't get "bigs" and yet I see a kid that is thinking one and done not coming here ...

... and probably because he might not start next year.
  18. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +146
    Well that's bad news about Abu.
    What are the other PF/C options out there for UF?
    Trey Lyles? Kevin Looney? These high profile recruits at least have UF on their lists!
    Payton Daystrup?

For the 2014-15 season, I am assuming Florida will still have DFS, Harris and possible Walker.
  19. hoopstar

hoopstar Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Abu wants to start, be the go to guy next season & NCS told him what he wanted to hear - he'd be the man - the go to guy!! At UF, with DFS, Harris & Walker, that was a very unlikely to happen & he could clearly see that.
    The thought process is not where it should be. He would have trained with future NBA picks & receive the best S & C, training out there, giving him the best shot at getting to the next level. AAU coach must not have had a high basketball IQ either!! Most don't - looking only for immediate PT.
    I thought it was cute when Abu said he was the missing piece on NCS getting to the National Title game!! He won't get past Duke, Carolina, Syracuse, & Pitt - not to mention Louisville when they join! NCS in the Final Four??!! Kid has an ego that wouldn't fit in Gainesville guys.
    We're OK - don't stand too close to the ledge - you're starting to worry me!!
  20. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,940
    Sounds like wishful thinking from Abu.

I think the situation, as hoopstar indicates, is more along the lines that some players prefer scoring points to hoisting trophies.

I think we're actually better off to "miss out" on players who think that way.