About the "hoodie"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Jul 17, 2013.

1. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +735
    A lot has been made of GZ profiling TM who was wearing a hoodie as if only black people wear hoodies. Let's deal with facts vs speculation. First, many would love to believe GZ is a racist and only sought out TM because he was a black guy wearing a hoodie. 1. There is zero evidence that GZ is a racist, the FBI has done already a pretty extensive evaluation of this and has found nothing (Fact not speculation). 2. It has been revealed that GZ brought a black date to a prom, mentored black kids, and stood up for a black male who he thought was being discriminated by the Sanford police. I doubt a racist would do this. 3. One of the jurors on CNN believed GZ was a conscientious person who wanted to help protect the area. She said she truly believed the person wondering around in the rain simply looked suspicious and the fact he was wearing a hoodie or a person of color meant nothing to GZ. She believed if that person was white or brown or yellow it would not have mattered. I know this goes against the tired narrative that GZ hates blacks wearing hoodies. Now, this was her opinion and not fact and I'll state as such. The point is, there is zero evidence ZERO that GZ followed TM because he was black and wearing a hoodie.

What so many want to point out is that GZ should not have followed as if by doing so he broke the law. I suspect in a similar situation most of us would have done what GZ did and investigated further. Not because the person was black but because that area had had breakins before, he was there to help prevent such an occurance.

Both of these two could have done some things differently but the crime was TM struck first ( I say that because GZ had injuries, TM did not other than a bullet). This was a fair trial and 6 jurors found GZ not guilty. The hoodie simply caught the eye but no more than the person acted suspicious to GZ and seemed worthy of keeping an eye on.
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    What has been missing from any discussion is the length of time TM had been in the neighborhood and whether he was still a "stranger" in the neighborhood.

TM wasn't a black kid in a hoodie. TM was a stranger in a neighborhood with a rash of burglaries........ but that reality doesn't stir the pot like the hoodie race spin does.
  3. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,070
    Both, actually: He was a black stranger in a hoodie in a neighborhood with a rash of burglaries.
  4. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +402

also a neighborhood that just recently had a shooting crime.

but of course that doesn't help as it gives logical reasoning for GZ carrying his firearm....which of course was legal regardless.

but really, to show you how ridiculous this has all become. The pro-TM is also using this to go after "stand your ground" laws.

WHEN STAND YOUR GROUND WAS NOT EVEN UTILIZED BY THE DEFENSE IN THIS TRIAL!!!!
  5. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,482
  6. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,796
    lol....he was good and quite colorful with his delivery.
    If I see a guy with a hoodie whether he is black, brown, yellow or white of keeping one eye on him.
  7. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +654
    The video was good bill....some of the bleeding hearts in here need to watch, and mostly--pay attention. He makes good points.
  8. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +275
    He makes some obvious and really good points. Mainly, that when black Americans stop thinking of themselves as black, and start thinking of themselves as simply Americans, the "race" problem might just go away.
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,713
    "Us and them" is not relegated to any race, creed, gender or political persuasion. It's endemic to humanity itself.

I'd wager very few people saw this case in a rational, reasonable way free from bias.
  10. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,627

. . . . idling strangely in the rain . . . and peering . . . into apartments . . . in the rain . . .
  11. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +402
    I don't know....at first I saw GZ guilty as sin but as more was revealed all of that changed...
  12. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +614
    Race baiters will always try to keep the race problem alive.
  13. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +340
    The manager and pharmacist at walgreens called the police on me because I was wearing a hoodie and a hat. I was taking my time to pick the right medicine for my sinuses and even asked the pharmacist questions. I made my purchase and left.

The cops then pulled up, told me why they were there and frisked me. After proving I was not doing anything wrong the manager who had no balls and couldn't even look me in the eyes had me tress passed.I had the tresspass lifted. He didn't think I would have 15 people come in and take down corporate names and numbers so he eventually backed down.

If I were black, how easy would it be for me to chalk it up to racial profiling? Racial profiling does exist and maybe it happened in my case since mostly white males were robbing pharmacies locallybut certainly my hoodie had something to do with it.

I just don't like how the mob mentality has made this a race issue instead of putting all the factors in context
  14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    If I see an unknown person in the neighborhood I keep an eye on them. That was my point, his dress, race, age etc would not play into my decision, only the fact that he was a stranger in the neighborhood.
  15. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,796
    I sorry but if you choose to conduct yourself like a gangsta expect to be treated as such. You can't just look the role and then cry wolf, it doesn't work. I'm not so sure what is hard to understand and concealing yourself gives the appearance that you're hiding yourself.
  16. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +1,627

We have torn-down looking white guys coming to our door from time to time, allegedly soliciting sundry things, like tree and lawn service, etc., even though the community has a "no solicitation" warning at the front entrance.

I certainly keep an eye on them, and keep the garage closed when they are about. Yes, I profile torn-down looking white guy strangers in the hood. Everyday, all day.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,713
  18. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +1,627

Ignurnce ?
  19. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +750
    Who then decided for whatever reason to physically attack the neighborhood watch guy.
  20. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +750
    A common occurance in Hollywood. They knock on your door, if your home they want to do an odd job, if you aren't they are over the fence into your backyard.

So says the popo.