About as sick as it gets

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorman_07732, Dec 16, 2013.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +453
    Setting aside the (typical) ugly sentiment of your posts, your post is also wrong in aggregate. To wit, the biggest predictor of gun deaths per capita was actually McCain vote share, while the 2nd biggest predictor of a lack of gun deaths (behind the percentage of college education) was actually Obama vote share.

[​IMG]
  2. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +949
    Where do the largest block of eligible voters fall in this graph? Those who did not vote (as is/was my claim in the first place)?
  3. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +949
    ...while MD runs off to build himself another graph...
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +453
    As wgb said, you are sort of trying to have your cake and eat it to. You are correctly pointing out that most violent criminals don't vote. Then you are trying to at the same time disparage the other political party by linking violent criminals to them and saying that Democrats are clearly better for them. Again, the numbers on aggregate just don't support your belief.
  5. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +683

Taking to crime is a choice......they can choose to use their energy on improving their neighborhoods and lot in life by helping their fellow neighbors rather than victimizing them, embrace education to improve their future and those of their children.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +453
    No need. The first one already destroyed the ugly point you were making (while you made a separate point that was somewhat contradictory yourself).
  7. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +949
    It failed to even address my point...
  8. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +949

Perhaps, but common sense does (hence my 'government dependance' comparison).

Be honest, if people were of the type to commit violent crimes, which way do you think they would vote? The party who is tough on crime? Or the party who has shown their tendency to be lenient on crime?

IF you are honest, you will see that what I have been saying is, indeed, accurate.
  9. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,704
    What I'm saying is I find it hard to believe this guy resisted if he had a gun pointed to his head. That goes against human nature.
  10. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +3,704
    You don't know what your talking about River. You can only get a concealed firearm's permit in NJ if you carry a unusually large sum of cash due to you job. There are very few issued in the state of NJ, so for common folks such as myself there are no concealed firearm permits issued. Absolutely no one else is granted a concealed firearm's permit in NJ. Care to challenge me on this?
  11. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,495
    so you've gone from claiming it's illegal for anyone to carry a gun to claiming that not enough people get concealed weapons permits. hardly the same thing.
  12. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,927
    Not all crime is the same. Don't take what you randomly found on the internets as absolute. His 'paper' is chock full of issues, including the conclusions he draws from the works he cited. Here's but one example:

It might be true in rape as the research does point that way, but not in robbery or assaults. He cites no credible studies on either of those two crimes, only ones regarding rape. Though he does cite a number of really good books (The Seduction of Crime; Armed Robbers in Action). But even these books don't (or can't) make conclusive statements about unarmed resistance or even armed resistance to robbery or assault as there are still many problems with the way it has been studied.
  13. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +949
    Let me break this down for you in the simplest of terms...

What I said:

The original reports said the criminals were "African American" although as it stands, it is difficult to find their race mentioned in any reports.

The car was found in Newark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark,_New_Jersey

In 2012, the area in Newark voted for Obama by a wide margin:

http://www.newarkpulse.com/articles/Election-2012-Results.html

Nationwide, breakdown by race:

Therefore, I say again...

Based on the odds. If this animal did, in fact vote, then the odds are that he voted for Obama.
  14. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +949

I agree. The DOJ is hardly a credible source... :rolleyes:
  15. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +265
    NJ is a May Issue state. That means the people's right to carry is completely controlled by the state. So...is it technically illegal to carry? No. Can the state restrict permits to the point that it's basically the same as if carrying were illegal? Yes, and as far as I know that's what's happened in NJ.
  16. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,495
    And based on the odds, any white criminal most likely voted for Romney. Is that really important to point out with each arrest? I don't think so.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  17. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +5,927
    Actually the BJS-which produces the reports is very credible. I was writing to his use of rape statistics in making claims about robberies and aggravated assaults.
  18. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    of course it's a choice, but when the choice of crime is seen as better then the odds of success on the straight and narrow, something is awry.

you really have to see if for yourself to know what I am talking about. "Impoverished" doesn't do it justice.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +5,927
    If only it were that easy, nana. Our choices are structured in large part by our surroundings, including the people in it and the physical environment, socioeconomics, gender (i.e male teens/youth), 'culture' etc...

Many juveniles engaging in crime are actually both pushed in (say by a family environment/structure/process) or lured in by the excitement and even promises of social bonding (gangs), mistaken beliefs that they will be protected, exploitation by adult criminals (drug dealers, organized crime rackets), drug or alcohol dependency. Fact is, the forces that make the kind of violent street crime much more prevalent in lower-socioeconomic class communities are already upon these kids before they even have a fighting chance, so to speak. So choice, perhaps, but more of a Hobson's choice.
  20. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +3,704
    You haven't a clue what your talking about. Carry Permits are not given to people in NJ unless they can prove they transport a large sum of cash in their job. That's it, so basically Carry permits are not available for the law abiding resident of NJ. I lived here my whole life, I know what I'm talking about. I kn0w the firearm laws here backward, forward, upside down, and sideways.