Abortion should be illegal because fetuses do what?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Jun 24, 2013.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,252
    There are many animals we kill for reasons other than survival. Elephants for ivory, tortoises for their shells, lions and leopards for sport and their coats, beavers were hunted to near extinction to make hats as were some bird species, peregrine falcons and bald eagles almost went extinct because of chemicals we use, the list is endless.
    I would never equate a chicken's life with a person, but discovering and protecting the beauty that is around us is part of finding our humanity, not losing it.
  2. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,867
    No, my belief makes me know for a fact that GOD exists because I have a personal relationship with him. We could not exist with chaotic randomness of which there would be no laws of nature. Those laws were but there for use to discover.
  3. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +789
    I don't eat Lions and Tigers and Elephants. They should be protected and for the most part they are.

You know what the #1 killer of protected predatory birds in the US is? Think wind.
  4. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,112
    moral relativism doesn't justify everything, it just doesn't state it with absolute authority

no unproven deity to use as authority

i don't murder, i try not to kill other living entities, i try not to hurt others

i do whats ok with me within the confines of the law (which I agree with our laws that generally punish for hurting others), try not to judge others for what they do within those confines...

ultimately, if there is a christian god that the bible speaks of, then judgment will be had regardless
  5. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,112
    my "belief" makes me "know for a fact" :grin:

Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true

A fact is something that has really occurred or is actually the case. The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability, that is whether it can be proven to correspond to experience. Standard reference works are often used to check facts. Scientific facts are verified by repeatable experiments.
  6. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,867
    But how would you know since you never had a relationship with GOD? I'm telling you for a fact he's there and real, in addition he's waiting on you but it is only you that can take the first step in order to acknowledged the realness of his being. What I'm telling you for a fact is you won't come away disappointed.
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,252
    All 3 of those species are facing tough times even with the laws in place (see the recent horn poaching epidemic for elephants and rhinos) and yes wind kills birds. But the point is that man does far more than kill for sustenance, laws or no laws, wind farms included.
  8. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +789
    Which takes us full circle back to abortion. We do kill for no reason. We need to stop. if I have no problem killing my own offspring, Rhino's don't stand a chance.
  9. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +704
    Moral relativism does justify anything!

First, a nation can pass laws that legally permit the murder of a certain type of people. Say past age 65 or of a certain skin tone or ethnic group. Therefore, the act of murder is justifiable because to a relativist (no clear right/wrong) it is legal thus, it is justifiable.

Second, without a moral law giver, then moral law is relative (which you believe). Thus, logically, it is based on time and geography. In this geographic area (say Germany) at this time (say 1942), it is legal for someone to kill Jews. It is morally right per the code of law in that time and place.

Third, moral relativism for you may include not killing others or harming others. But since that is "relative" your morality does not apply to your neighbor. That next door neighbor may find your 14 yr old daughter irresistible, hence worthy of seduction. So you would not mind that, after all that is his "relative" morality. To your neighbor he is educating your daughter (she said ok too!). No complaint from you...right? It is legal in that town in year 2xxx. You would not mind at all...right?

You may love animals. But your dog to your neighbor on the other side finds your dog appitizing. To him, he may enjoy eating that kind of dog meat. He is from another country. Thus, killing your dog and eating your beloved pet is a-ok. He did buy you another dog after the killing and consumption. You are ok with that too? right?

Moral relativism justifies any and all behavior.