Abdul Malik Abu final 4

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GATORAZ, Aug 7, 2013.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Abdul Malik Abu down to UConn, Florida, NC State and Providence per AAU coach

Dave Telep ‏@DaveTelep 40m
    If you have ties to Cincinnati, Oklahoma St, Providence or Rhode Island: hope lives. You just made Jared Terrell's final4

Abdul-Malik Abu and Jared Terrell -- plus some others -- are visiting Providence unofficially this weekend, per AMB.
  2. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Providence............... is a problem
  3. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Apparently visiting UF next week:

4. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Yes Insti, I think he will visit all of the schools on his list, including UConn.

'Abu will visit UConn Wednesday and Florida and N.C. State the following weekend, Boswell confirmed.

Providence coach Ed Cooley and his staff have watched Abu and Terrell non-stop for two years — and will host them both this weekend.'

I guess the question will become whether or not Donovan can persuade Abu to leave his good friend. Cooley certainly has the package deal working in his favor.
  5. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Also, the news of Abu and Terrell announcing together isn't the greatest thing. Playing time certainly favors Abu coming to Florida. Hopefully Donovan can convince him of that.
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +450
    Especially in March ...

... on CBS.
  7. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +414
    Well, if those are accurate statements regarding final teams, then Providence is the only one that both share.

Malik from a personal development perspective and playing time (as Lurker said "In March") would be simply nuts to choose Providence.
  8. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Dave Telep ‏@DaveTelep 2m
    Things must be moving fast with Abdul Malik Abu. He's on nc states campus today. Providence yesterday. Working thru his list
  9. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +691
    He's been to Providence a bunch, and there are a lot of rumors that he's going to go there as part of a package deal. On the other hand, he's been there a bunch and still not pulled the trigger. Let's see if he takes an official visit to UF. If so, we will definitely be in the mix. If not, we might just be a hat on the table.

I will add that it makes all the sense in the world for him to come to UF. We have plenty of playing time to offer, and we have a staff that has been the absolute best at getting big men ready for the NBA. Nobody can match Billy's record on this. Nobody.
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +380
    So Abu visited Providence with 6 or more other recruits this past weekend, he has been at N.C. State since sometime on Sunday, and he visits UConn on Wednesday. His visit to UF should be his last visit with an announcement of his commitment soon to follow. That to me is not bad news.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  11. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    What if you throw in the fact that he is announcing with his high school teammate, Terrell, and the only school they each list is Providence. Abu could certainly pick the Gators, and in my opinion that would be smart, but the fact that they are announcing together certainly sheds some doubt on a decision for the good guys.

A lot of people keep saying that if Abu comes here he could play in march. He could likely do the same at Providence. They have been recruiting very well. Last year they had a good class, and this year they already have Jalen Lindsey. If they get Abu and Terrell to go along with him, watch out. That positive momentum might also carry them into Kaleb Joseph who is down to Providence, Syracuse and WV.
  12. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +520
    The fact that they are announcing together to me just signifies that they are great friends and want to announce together. I dont know much about Terrell but I think they will go to different schools and this is thier last act together....share the experience.
  13. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    Anyone remember seeing recruits announce together - but for different schools? Terrance Ross and poverty-stomper Terrance Jones announced together and ended up at different schools - but initially picked the same one.

Surely its happened, I'm just having trouble thinking of an example.
  14. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
  15. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    I think Percy Harvin and his teammate/friend did. One went to UF, the other FSU.
  16. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +863
    No. Both popped for UF during the televised announcement. McDaniel switched to FSU sometime before signing day.
  17. dalwood13

dalwood13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    They were there for an Elite Camp. Its not like they got all of those guys to visit together for a campus tour.
  18. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +414
    Correct me if I am wrong, but unless Walker qualifies and decides to return for his second year as a Gator (apparently an unlikely likelihood), then, from the players returning (assuming that DFS doesn't jump to the NBA with an incredible year), there will be precisely two over 6'5" tall: Harris and DFS.

How come the Gators can't lock up any big players for this class given that most likely scenario?
  19. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    It will be interesting. Still a long way to go. Black and Abu are big 'ifs' at this point. Looney and Alexander appear to be pipe dreams. There is a chance with Lyles, but speculation is Louisville or UK for him. If we strike out, we'll probably be taking some projects and have to work the transfer market.
  20. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    Good question. There aren't lots of playing time-ready big men out there and luck doesn't seem to be working in Florida's favor so far. I don't think Lyles is going to happen, but who knows about Abu. I know (mostly at least) that UK was about to offer Abu until they started feeling better about Lyles. I really thought Abu looked interesting, but kinda stopped following his recruitment after that. He'd obviously be a great get.

Best case, is Walker qualifies and returns. Still wouldn't be tons of depth there, but I'd expect him to be quite a force by next year.