Aaron Murray: "one of the all-time greats???"

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by clt_gator, Apr 25, 2014.

1. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,794
    I predict he will make people forget all about Kyle Orton in the NFL. Stats and nothing much else.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +883
    Primarily those numbers in the W column.
  3. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    You can't argue with his numbers, and you cant argue with the fact he never won the SEC. So, I'll split the difference and say he was mediocre.
  4. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,295
    I always liked Murray thought he was pretty darn good QB. One of Urban's misses. UF teams looks a little different if we got Murray instead of Jordan Reed.
  5. UFish

UFish Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    Prior to last season, he didn't play well against the better teams on Georgia's schedule. In fact he frequently played horribly against the better competition on their schedule. As others have pointed out, Alabama was never on their regular season slate during Murray's time there, LSU only once (last season), and A&M neither of the last two seasons. Granted they did have to deal with one of Petrino's Arkansas teams, but Arkansas beat them. Florida had two of our worst teams in the last 30 years during Murray's four years and Tennessee has been a joke for an uncomfortably long time. Granted South Carolina was strong during this stretch, but South Carolina also beat them three out of four times.

His record for passing touchdowns has as much to do with beasting on lesser competition and his longevity, as it does with how good he was. As for his longevity, he deserves a ton of credit for that. He took a lot of SEC hits from SEC players (Nick Fairley's dirty rotten facemask included) in his four years and I don't remember him ever missing a game prior to the ACL tear toward the end of last year. So it's likely he was playing injured pretty often.

I wouldn't include him on a list of the SEC's "All-Time Greats" and don't expect to see him on many of them when you consider Georgia's best victories in his tenure came against 9-4 LSU and 11-2 South Carolina in 2013 (both at home), and 11-2 Florida in 2012 (which Georgia won despite Murray, not because of him). Honorable mention on the "SEC's All-Time Toughest" perhaps.
  6. aggie96

aggie96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +97
  7. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,248
    I always liked the guy too. He was a good QB at Tampa Plant HS so that may be why he didn't come to UF. That Plant Coach just seems to have players going somewhere else all the time. Not UF. So I don't think I would say he was an Urban miss. Maybe, but don't think so. And Aaron in his senior year at UGA was a good QB there. Now, I'm not sure even Bulldog fans though would consider him among their best ever, maybe they would. And that would be OK.
  8. RepubliGator84

RepubliGator84 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +133
    Nope. Too many other great QBs to come through this league who had the stats, SEC and/or championships, and even a Heisman to justify being great.

All time great UGAg QB? That can be up for debate among the leghumper crowd
  9. gatorwilk1

gatorwilk1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    If our game in 2012 is any indication, his play was less than stellar. Not in same class w/ Tebow, Wuerffel, IMO. Cutler at Vandy carried his team and almost beat us at home. He was v good but not in top 10.