A Windfall or a Landfill

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bbreece1, Feb 5, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,846
    The depth problem on OL was primarily a Meyer problem. We should have had 2009, 2010 and 2011 players dominating the OL and those were Meyer classes.

Out of those classes, we had Harrison and an injured Halapio starting, and Koehne in the two deep. Silberman and Thurman didn't contribute until injuries mounted. Champ was left with a major cluster function at OL. Even then, we'd have been okay if not for the mountain of injuries.

Things look much better this year. Thankfully.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +662
    I believe we have sufficient talent to not be an 8-4 team. If we go 8-4 yes it's an improvement over an awful year but it still imo isn't good enough. 8-4 record says were behind uga, usce and fighting with Missouri or UT for third. It would mean 4 years with no east division title, it means a 30-20 record which is not up to par with what uf should be. If wm can't win with this talented group he recruited than another couple years won't make a difference imo.

I hope he knows time is running out and that this is year is make or break. Then again, who knows what JF will do if we get to 8 wins.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,846
    8-4 probably means we go 5-1 in the East, but lose to LSU, Bama and UFS.

Are we competing for the East if we do that?

How about if we sweep the East but lose to LSU and Bama, then some East team with an easy West division slate gets by us to win the East?

Need to consider strength of schedule here. IMO.
  4. gator34654

Ratings Received:
    +662
    Oak, good points. But this is the sec, there are no easy outs, I agree uga for some odd reason has gotten a pass these two years without playing bama, but hey, we have lost to uga 3 years straight. And usce, the team we out recruit year in year out, we hung with them last year with this putrid O, we should beat them. I suppose every year we could find some reason, some excuse for not getting it done, but this is Florida, we are not UT, we belong at the top and if wm can't get us there with the talent he has assembled then it's time to give someone else a turn. I think we can run the table in the east, and outside of bama, I think its 50/50 vs lsu and ufs. I think our D will be tuff and my goodness, our O has to be better and I really think that it will.
  5. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    Just saying "This is Florida" as a shallow excuse to pin every difficulty on a 3rd year HC is lame.

You say the OL should have had more depth. But how can you blame that on a HC whose only two full recruiting classes he pulled in were true freshmen or 2nd year players last year?

Especially at OL, where you need upperclass contributors.

Even in 2014, classes 1-3 will be Muschamp's, while the 5th years are Meyer's recruits and the 4th years are from the class Muschamp inherited and added to when hired late in the recruiting cycle.

Muschamp now only has 2 upperclass OL that were recruited as freshmen, Chaz Green and Trip THurman.

All the other JR/SR OL, Garcia, Moore, T Brown and now Sarvary are JUCOs or transfers that Muschamp signed to fill the obvious hole in recruiting.

Now Muschamp is partly responsible for this b/c in his first full class he only signed 2 OL, Dunker and Humphrey and Dunker flamed out.

But he inherited a big hole at OL that you should have seen coming 2 years ago, and he's been trying to dig out the last 2 years by adding JUCOs and transfers.

And then in 2013 4 of UF's best 5 OL get injured.

When the coach has recruited the entire roster himself then the excuses end, but I can't hold Muschamp responsible for the lack of upperclass depth that was exposed when UF got decimated by injuries in 2013. He didn't recruit those classes.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,846
    I don't disagree with any of this. I'd just look at our performance and try to be objective about whether we're being coached in a fashion that can win get us to Atlanta regularly, even if we don't do it this year due to the difficult of schedule.
  7. gator34654

Ratings Received:
    +662
    I am no where close to being an expert regarding college football. I'm just a passionate fan when it comes to uf football. I have followed uf football from my youth and I'm now in my 50s. Here's what I do know, the best football coaches that uf has had in football made huge strides quickly. SOS did as did UM. I would agree that wm is finding his way being a hc, this will be his 4th year, for me either he has it or he doesn't. He has recruited well, the majority of recruits are his and he is the head guy. The buck stop with him.
    SOS and UM also had to contend with their predecessors recruiting and there will always be areas where there is lack of depth, or someone transfers, or injuries. Good coaches don't let that stand in their way. Florida should never be sniffing the tails of uga and usce like it has been. I believe we will do better than 8-4 this year.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,068
    Oak and Hotlanta best me to it.
  9. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,068
    To be honest Meyer inherited a much better player/ locker room situation then Muschamp did. I don't believe Meyer does any better on that level because it helped create the one Muschamp walked into.
  10. gator34654

Ratings Received:
    +662
    You may be right Tebowism, but as I recall, zook was a players coach, they were not at all happy that he was fired in mid season. UM didn't have a cake walk his first year, but his second year was lights out. Then again, UM wasn't learning on the job either.
  11. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +782
    This class was filler. It compliments last year's great class nicely, but will have little to do with next year's record. Our defense will get a little better, with some immediate help from freshmen, but was already in good shape. The offense was going to rebound because of injured players coming back and hopefully a healthy and deep OL. Don't expect much help from freshmen on the OL. Don't expect much help at the skill positions except possibly WR. Don't laugh. We didn't sign a single four star WR, unless Jackson plays there, but I think Joker knows what he's looking for and this was his first chance to pick out his own guys.

The biggest upgrade for this team will be in the development of next year's sophomores and redshirt freshmen. Whatever the incoming freshmen give us is gravy. This is an eight to ten win team depending on the coaches, how well the offensive players adapt to the new system and the offensive play calling.

Our defenses will be stifling. I suspect our offense will be explosive, but inconsistent. I think Driskel will come back improved and make some big plays, but I believe he is a work in progress. Ultimately, the development of our running backs and our run blocking will decide the outcome of the season. If we can become a dominant running team, Driskel will have his way. The kid has a gun and he's never had a chance to show what he can do when he the defense is keying on the RB and the OL is able to give him an extra .2 seconds. There's also the read option. Nobody runs it better than him. 10 wins is by no means the ceiling.

Last season was an aberration.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    You know, I can't remember one HC coaching transition that went "smoothly" in the last 25 years…

Heck Spurrier drove Emmitt Smith off, at least that's the way Emmitt saw it…

WHen Spurrier left and Zook got hired, Grossman would just ignore the play call and scheme sometimes and just try to chuck it deep to Caldwell and Jacobs, and Ian Scott and a bunch of non-1st round juniors left as soon as they could…

When Meyer took over from Zook, he ran a bunch of players off, and a bunch of Zook's players got into trouble…

When Muschamp took over from Meyer, he ran off multiple of Meyer's players, and many players and recruits transferred…

Based on what I've seen at UF, you should almost expect 10% attrition upon a coaching transition, unless the school promotes an assistant to the head job.

The big difference b/w Meyer and CWM was at QB. Meyer inherited a 3 year starter in Leak, who managed to stay healthy so Meyer got the 3rd and 4th years of a guy who started 50 straight games for UF.

Muschamp was what 4 games into his tenure when his choice was two true freshmen (although now in hindsight you have to ask about Tyler Murphy)…

When UF has been able to play its best QB, Muschamp has done pretty well.

Muschamp has compounded his QB issues with bad OC hires, Weiss was a disaster, an obvious short timer, and now he is onto his 3rd OC. Unless he gets stability there NOW, his tenure here will not be long.

Of course, there is sort of a chicken and egg issue here, was UF's offense bad b/c of Pease, or was Pease bad b/c his plays were being executed by Skyler Mornhinweg and Kelvin Taylor , instead of Jeff Driskel and Matt Jones?
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +896
    Muschamp was hired December 2010, I believe. The 2011 class is not his, but 2012 is. Both those classes had excessive attrition imo. The 2013 class has to really step up.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Welshgator

Welshgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +198
    Well, it probably didn't help that Pease and the OL coach were at odds and apparently not on the same page when the plays were called in. I'm hoping with the new staff that our o-line is vastly improved both in technique and discipline.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +896
    Big mistake on Muschamp's part and part of the reason our roster has been so thin.
  16. gator34654

Ratings Received:
    +662
    What we have is a coach learning on the job. JF took a chance on BD a young coach with no hc experience and in a way BD was learning on the job too. JF saw something in BD and it turned out great. I am hoping the same result will occur with wm but time is running out.
  17. cedarkey_gator11321

cedarkey_gator11321 Guest

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I think time ran when we lost to Georgia Southern at home. Muschamp is no Billy Donovan.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    I don't think that is really that much of a put down though honestly. BD is a HOF coach. He is top 5 in his profession, at worst. Saying WM is Ray Goff is a put down. I hope he is not. Time will tell. At the time of WM hire, there were no Top 5 coaches very likely to be willing to come to UF. Even the mighty UK in basketball took a while to get back to the elite with a highly successful coach.
  19. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +178
    You either win the game or you lose it. We would have been 100% to beat Ga Southern and we got 0% of a winning result. We were probably 80-90% to beat vandy and likewise.

Every percentage you reference is based on having a healthy and competent QB (Driskel). Muschamp has played 2 of his 3 seasons with a train wreck of a QB situation, with predictable results.

It is ALL about Driskel. If Grier has to play, it's like last year, you're doing good to be bowl-eligible (I will take his talent over Murphy, will take Murphy's intangibles over any frosh). Mornhinweg or Harris not in this mix in any way.

Yes, with a healthy Driskel I EXPECT to beat USCe, I EXPECT to beat the follies, I EXPECT to beat Vandy on the road, I EXPECT to beat misery at home. With Danny or Tim in their prime we would be hard pressed to beat gump on the road or univ. of fs anywhere.

8 wins had best not be our FLOOR, because it might well be our ceiling.

And as an added complication, the whole entire world knows that 1 of the 8 will be REQUIRED to be the puppies. Our season is in the hands of Hutson Mason as much as it is in Driskel's.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  20. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +896
    You're being lenient imo. It was clear when he took over he needed OL. Two OL in any class is insufficient, especially when you NEED OL. If we had not let so many players from 2010/2011 leave and 2012 has sufficient numbers at positions of need we wouldn't have such depth problems at positions that take time to develop. I guess in one sense it's water under the bridge now. But with the results we've seen in development, retention, and class makeup from 2010/2011/2012 you have to wonder if we have our roster under control or if theses patterns of attrition and non development will continue. Because optimistic or not, we really don't know.