A Windfall or a Landfill

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bbreece1, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    If Champ goes 8-4 against this schedule, then he'll be fine. At Bama and at F$U would be losses this year under ANY coach.
  2. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,265
    I got a feeling in my stomach we win at least one of them. Then again, it could be gas.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    For people thinking 9 wins--I still believe he would get votes for Coach of the Year---we have the 3 creampuffs, croissants or Jelly filled donuts(whatever you wish to call them) and Kentucky. That is 4 wins. Now I'll toss in Tennessee and Vandy(both on the road and no sure thing), that brings us to 6. Missouri and USC at home, fairly doable, and with Shaw being gone, trust me, Spurrier has NOBODY comparable. That's 8, but would you agree if you were not a fervent alum of Florida. you might not be racking up the last 4 as wins? Now we have Alabama and FSU on the road and I don't really care who Alabama is breaking in at QB. Last time they "broke in" it was McCarron. LSU appears to have totally reloaded and that leaves Georgia. I quit betting on sporting events but it will be interesting when the over/under comes out for Florida wins. I would make it 7.5(YES!! I hope I'm wrong). What would you HONESTLY make it?? Not emotionally but as if it was your job in Vegas to set the number??
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,281
    You could well be right that is how fans will react. I don't think that is necessarily reasonable in context of this schedule, but Champ didn't really give himself room for reasonable fan reactions with last year's debacle.
  5. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    I'd put it at 7.5. But he still better win at least 10 if he wants to sleep super comfortable knowing he has a job. 9 and he sleeps sort of comfortable. 8 and he risks getting booted and sleep is not easy to come by.
  6. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I've been one of his strongest critics but this was a really good class(IMPRESSIVE under the circumstances), made some good hires and I just can't see how he can be fired going 8-4 against that schedule. You let FSU play that schedule and I WOULD bet they don't make the Playoff next year. I know what we "expect" but some of us expect our kids to become Urologists/Oncologists and they just might not be able to do it. If he goes 8-4, Foley will keep him and just maybe he can put together a SUPER class and we can be on the way back. I'm 66 and I don't have all the time most of you do for a revival but I'm still going to be rational.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +736
    It's sad, that things have gotten so bad here at uf that we're thinking a 4 loss season is fine or acceptable. Many might say we will lose to usce, but haven't we recruited better then them these past 3 years? Then it comes down to coaching, and if we can't beat a usce at home with the talent we have then imo our weak link is the hc. I hope we never grow accustomed to being an 8-4 team or 9-3 team. Frankly, I don't want to be another uga, always close but no cigar. This is wm 4th year and imo 4 losses aren't acceptable. Last year he gets a pass due to the amount of injuries, but with the talent this team has it's time to produce on the field. If he can't do it then imo he's had long enough.
  8. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,631

Much wisdom here.
  9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Here's the schedule: http://www.gatorzone.com/schedule.php?sport=footb

I'd put our %s of winning each game like this:

Idaho at home 100%
    E. Michigan at home 100%
    UK at home 95%
    Bama on the road 25%
    UT on the road 60%
    LSU at home 50%
    Missouri at home 65%
    UGA in Jax 50%
    Vandy on the road 70%
    USC at home 55%
    E. Kentucky at home 100%
    F$U on the road 30%

Add that up and you get 1 + 1 + .95 + .25 + .6 + .5 + .65 + .5 + .7 + .55 + 1 + .3 = 8 wins.
  10. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +339
    Equote="UFreak, post: 7209401, member: 5630"]I gotta say, I don't think 8-4 does it. I'm trying to look at this objectively. This is year four, it's UF not USCe or Ole Miss or Arkansas. The expectation is 10 wins every year at UF. That's just the way it is. Not saying we deserve to get 10 wins every year, but that is the reality and perception of what is expected.
    I think if he wants to sleep comfortably, WM has to get to 9 wins. If he wants to sleep very comfortably, he has to get to 10 wins. Because if he gets to 9 wins and say the losses are to FSU, USCe and UGA and they are blowout losses, then 9 doesn't look that great.
    It's year four. It's year four.[/quote]

It does not matter what year it is! Look at the friggin schedule, its brutal. 2013 Alabama might not win 9 of those games. If we lose f$u, USE, uga and win at Bama, LSU, and the rest, he's SEC COY!
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  11. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    8-4 with a win over UGA, probably safe, 8-4 with ANOTHER loss to UGA, he's got to go
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. cedarkey_gator11321

cedarkey_gator11321 Guest

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Would be nice to see the offense crack the top 100 nationally for the first time in four years.
  13. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    And I'm saying that a 30-20 record in four years is not going to come across as favorable to a very loud and influential group of Gator fans. And it does matter that he is in year four. It is unfortunate for WM that we have such a tough schedule. But we always have a tough schedule and that's what will be stated by those who will want him gone. And they will be right on at least that point that we always have a tough schedule. Because we always do have a tough schedule. And even if this one turns out to be even more tough than usual, I am projecting that I don't think it will matter.

It's a bottom-line business and if he ends up going 8-4 this year, the bottom line is that at the end of four years we are 30-20, we probably did not qualify for a trip to Atlanta. And that will be four years in a row where we didn't make it to Atlanta.

Again, I am not anti Will Muschamp. I am merely stating how I think it would play out if he went 8-4. I think it would be a very close call on him keeping his job at 8-4 and I think he would probably lose his job. Nine, he probably keeps it. Ten, he definitely keeps it.
  14. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +515
    2014 will be probably the first year that the team on the field will be made up of mostly Muschamp's recruits.

A lot of them will still be young ( Hargreaves, Taylor, Fullwood, Maye, etc…).

At some positions we look to have a pretty damn good roster, look at DL, Fowler, Bullard, Orr and Cummings, I think that is a damn good DL, and we have a lot of depth there…

AT LB Morrison, Taylor and Ball, none of whom may be ALL SEC but all of whom are battle tested, and they are backed up by a great looking group…

AT TB, Taylor, Lane, Jones (if healthy), Brown and now Powell, plus Trey Burton and Shea Showers, again, maybe no difference maker in the group but a lot of good players…

Probably no school in the country has as much POTENTIAL at the S position as UF, Marcus Maye, Keanu Neal and Marcell Harris are all prototype NFL safeties, and they will all be entering their second year.

SO there are a lot of bodies and a lot of depth at most positions, but 2014 and I think Muschamp's career at UF comes down to the QB and the OL.

I hope Driskel can get and stay 100% healthy through the season, but he needs to take a step up mentally or Muschamp is in trouble.

I think there is some probability that in 2020 we will look back at Muschamp's tenure and realize that Jeff Driskel was a mirage, a hard working guy with an NFL QB body and some pure athleticism but who couldn't run an offense at this level. I hope I'm wrong.

And the OL has to be healthy enough and good enough to do at least a decent job blocking for Driskel and the TBs. OL is a position where young guys often can't come in and help a bunch, but Muschamp has tried to recruit JUCOS and transfers to fill the gaps, that's why he got Garcia, Moore, and T Brown, and Savary this year.

I really don't care whether UF is 8-4, 9-3 or even 7-5, I am almost sure we will see a pretty stout defense on the field in 2014, but we have to see an offense that is growing and using the pieces it has, even if there is no Trent Richardson or Sammy Watkins on campus. and that comes down to Driskel, the OL and the coaches who coach them.
  15. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +957
    I was with you until you said this part. Dude, 7-5. Come on. No. I'm sorry. No.

Trey Burton is gone. Valdez should be OK. But I did not see a wow factor out of him last year.
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,281
    You getting some flashbacks there, Hotlanta. :D

Trey has exhausted eligibility and Shea Showers is long gone... Valdez carries on, though. And don't forget Herndon. He looks like a very good back to me, walk on or not.

Overall, I agree with you that we have a lot of potential on this roster. Above all, we need the OL to gel and do its job, so the rest of the guys have a chance to execute, and we need JD to confidently take command at QB and reliably execute. If the OL and QB come together, we can make a nice run, even against this brutal schedule.
  17. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    If WM was asked if 7-5 or 8-4 were acceptable at UF what do you think his answer would be? (Please don't say "Get A Grip!") :D
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,631
    This is not the ACC, where a team like . . . the Girl's school . . . can bulk up and run the table.

Who do you people think we are, F$U ?
  19. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,672
    Don't forget discipline and penalties.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,672
    I have no problem with agreeing to disagree. Yes there was some attrition during the season..but two things:
    1. How many stupid penalties like personal fouls, unnecessary roughness calls were there when the game was on the line.
    2. This is Florida. The offensive line should've had more depth and that's on champ for not recruiting them for the depth we needed to get the job done. The mantra "soldier down, soldier up" doesn't work when there's no soldiers to get up.