A Windfall or a Landfill

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bbreece1, Feb 5, 2014.

1. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I was thinking about all the good work that will be spent building and nourishing relationships with elite high school talent in the next 7 months. For it to matter the architect of the building must still be in place next February. It really won't matter how many people declare early if the guy they liked is no longer around. We must go 8-4 and PLEASE none of that 9-3 stuff with Alabama and FSU on the road along with LSU, Missouri South Carolina at home , Georgia in JAX and an improved Tennessee and Vandy on the road. Does that look like 9 wins? I'm listening. I probably name him National Coach of the Year if he does 9-3. 8-4 enables another Top 10 in recruiting and schedule will look a little more doable in 2015 but(BIG BUT) 7-5 finishes him and all those relationships will be left withering as we start that search for a new coach at the worst possible time. This is one scary time approaching. Sugarcoat it all you want. I go back to 61 and I can't remember another year this crucial. Spurrier blindsided us, Zook was actually seen as on the rise, Urban suckered us and now it all comes down to 12 games to stop or at least stem the bleeding. We are all aware of what will happen this time if there is no turnaround, with those other guys it wasn't being given much of a thought in February(well, a little with Zook).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Your point about the schedule is valid, 9 wins will require some big wins, but that's the expectation at UF.

I've cut CWM plenty of slack b/c he inherited an incomplete team and he's lost his starting QB 2 of 3 years, under CWM when UF's starter at QB going into the season finishes the game, UF is like 17-3.

But this is his 4th year, his first true recruiting class (not the prospects he signed from Meyer's list in 2011), will now be juniors or redshirt sophomores, and his margin for error is pretty slim.

I would wait until he at least gets to coach a team completely made up of his recruits, which would be in 2015, before I would close the book on him, but I know most Gator fans aren't that patient.

On the bright side for the 2014 schedule, I think LSU, Bama, UGA, Mizzou and USCe are all breaking in new QBs, so if Driskel can get and stay healthy UF should have an advantage, especially early in the season v Bama and LSU...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,778
    You are correct and no he will not be fired for 8-4, the crybabies were wrong this year and they will be wrong next year too.
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    WM will likely be gone by the end of October, after losses to Bama, LSU and Mizzou. Joker or Roper will be the interim coach until a successor can be found.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,043
    The defense will be solid, the offense will be improved and the schedule is what it is.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,072
    The record has everything to do with whether champ stays or goes..and after last season, 8-4 is completely unacceptable. If we're not in the sec championship race he needs to be gone..he's been afforded too much levity as it is.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +544
    While 4 losses is not desirable, they will not be a surprise considering we are rebuilding. There is such a fine line between 8-4 and a trip to Atlanta, anyone that demands the trip or be fired is (I can't say what I want for fear of a ban). There has been no levity for Will, perhaps a dictionary is in order.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,104
    And if he wins 2 out of 3 games will you leave? It's only fair. ;)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  9. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,300
    It's year four at the University of Florida. There is nothing wrong at all with having expectations of a 9-win season. I'm not convinced 8-4 will keep his job. If he loses the wrong games in the wrong fashion, 9 may not keep his job (though I totally think he would remain in place if he had 9 wins).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,104
    Sorry bro, disagree. He's been given a little extra latitude because of what he's experienced. Last year would've been tough for any coach. Could a more experienced one possibly done more? Probably, but we knew there would be some growing pains. Hell look at Fischer at Crayons University. I think 8-4/9-3 would be very acceptable although I'd enjoy more.
  11. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,300
    I gotta say, I don't think 8-4 does it. I'm trying to look at this objectively. This is year four, it's UF not USCe or Ole Miss or Arkansas. The expectation is 10 wins every year at UF. That's just the way it is. Not saying we deserve to get 10 wins every year, but that is the reality and perception of what is expected.
    I think if he wants to sleep comfortably, WM has to get to 9 wins. If he wants to sleep very comfortably, he has to get to 10 wins. Because if he gets to 9 wins and say the losses are to FSU, USCe and UGA and they are blowout losses, then 9 doesn't look that great.
    It's year four. It's year four.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,505
    I think the real issue should be how we perform.

We have four to five top ten teams, and six likely top 25 teams on our schedule in 2014. We could lose 4 games and still be a very good team, but I think it needs to show that way on the field. If we're in knock down / drag outs with UFS, Bama, LSU and say USCe (or whomever tops the East), and we play well but lose close, it will hurt, but it will show real progress. Especially if this is a case where JD gets hurt again (not unlikely), and we're having to play true frosh QBs, who almost certainly will turn the ball over against elite defenses.

If we show up under prepared, not ready to start games, can't execute in the red zone or otherwise look look like we can't compete for the SEC championship, then it's time to pull the plug.
    • Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,104
    Oak answered it well.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    This is a huge year for wm and for uf. I think an 8-4 season he keeps his job provided the team plays well, and that we are competitive in those loses. WM has to win the games we are favored in and one or two games we are underdogs. I think anything less than an 8 win season and GN will have lost all faith in wm.
    This is Florida. There is no good reason not to compete for championships. This year is no exception. I think most agree last year was an exception due to the severity and quantity of injuries that depleted this team. I'm convinced we have enough talent on this team that if we do not show stark improvement in every facet of the game, major changes have to be made. Training wheels off, its time...
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +978
    As a realist, last season was one of our worst ever and support for losing isn't big here.
    On the other hand we hit on recruiting and the needs we filled will combine with last years skill to give us an O again.

The secondary, Dline, QB and Oline class is very good with some big recievers, tight end types to boot.

Looking forward to scoring again, winning will follow as soon as we do.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  16. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,459
    True, he's probably on a ten year plan. Don't know why anyone would have a problem with that.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,300
    I think your points are valid, I just don't necessarily agree. If we lose 4 close games, the mantra will be that WM just can't get it done. If we lose in 4 blowout games, the mantra will be that we just aren't really that good.
    I don't know that WM will get a free pass from fans if JD gets hurt because you will have a large contingent of fans that will say he could have done more to make sure that Tyler Murphy felt like he would have had a real shot at starting this year for us instead of transferring.

Just saying, in year four it is your program. Many would argue that year three it is your program.
    If he goes 8-4 this fall, that would make his four-year record 30-20. Twenty losses in four years. That's A LOT. I'm just not convinced 8-4 does it for WM, who I like. Not sure 9-3 does it but it probably does. 10 does it for sure.
  18. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,104
    Haven't missed you!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    I'm thinking Dreamliner was joking, said in jest. That's how I took it.
  20. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,104
    He's always trying to be funny.....still didn't miss him:)