A quick update on our mobile app situation... (Tapatalk added, Forum Runner removed)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Solari, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Solari

Solari GC Janitor Staff Member GC Staff

Ratings Received:
    +2,636
    UPDATE: Forum Runner has been disabled and removed from our forums as well as the App stores because it no longer functions properly and the developers have ignored our pleas for help.

Please use Tapatalk for now, we have a custom version of it coming soon but you can download the general TapaTalk app and use it on our forums:

Apple iTunes store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapatalk-connecting-communities/id307880732?mt=8

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkpro.activity

Remember, as noted in this thread, you DO NOT need a TapaTalk account to use our forums, just search for our forum (Swamp Gas or GatorCountry.com) and sign in there using your username and password here.

---

Folks,

I just wanted to post a quick update on what's going on with our mobile app problems.

Long story short:

1) Forum Runner (company owned by Internet Brands, Inc.) has never responded to our calls or emails for help with our app issues (they custom built it for us).

2) Last month, they sent their annual bill last month to keep using the app. They asked for our updated credit card information.

3) I replied to their bill asking why we had received no support, why no one bothered to respond and especially why they were so quick to send us a bill despite not hearing a peep out of them. I was polite yet pissed.

4) Still no reply.

5) A few days ago they sent another bill, saying the app is due to expire and it will be cut off if it is not paid.

6) I'm not going to pay it. It's been a complete fiasco with them.​

So there is a good chance if you've been able to use our mobile app at all it will stop working.

I have mentioned before that we were looking into moving over to TapaTalk. It's a bit more complicated than I thought it would be to set up a custom app due to our need to have a developer account with Apple and submit the app ourselves, but we're going to do it. It's just going to take a little longer than expected. It will be done and the app should work fine with our forums once it's deployed. I can't give you a timetable because of this Apple developer stuff (and how long they take to clear new apps for approval) but I do hope we will have it up in two weeks to a month.

In the meantime, you can still use the stand alone Forum Runner and TapaTalk apps themselves to browse our forums. They cost a few bucks (which is why our custom app is free but I find it sneaky Forum Runner's own paid app works fine with our forums while our branded custom one they did for us no longer works...) so if you end up buying the app, contact us at customer service and we will give you credit for it by extending your subscription.

To find those apps, go to your phone's app store and search for either Forum Runner or TapaTalk. Once you download them, you can search for our forum inside the app (try searching for Gator Country or Swamp Gas.) and login & bookmark it from there.

The standalone TapaTalk support will be implemented early this week, likely tomorrow (Monday) so you will be able to use it on here soon enough. I would do it tonight but I'm about to keel over. I'll give a shout when it's in place.

Hopefully these two things will help tide you over until we get our new custom app deployed again. A nice bonus - it will also have a tab for our latest stories if it works out as intended. : )

I'm sorry for all the app drama, it's affected me too because I primarily used the app to access the forums. Sigh.

Thanks again for your patience.
    Ray

P.S. We are working on other things as well, not just the app. Now that the off-season is here we can do some serious behind the scenes work to make GC work better for you. As we move forward, I will be posting more to keep you up to date on what's going on and what we're doing. I'm thinking of setting up a GC company blog as a way of doing this and keeping yawl posted. Let me know whatcha think?

P.P.S. If any of you have real world experience submitting apps to Google and Apple stores and can help us along, gimmie a shout. I'd be real happy to hear from you.
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  2. gatordon

gatordon GatorDon VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,283
    Thanks, understood
  3. FloridaGator80

FloridaGator80 of the Gator Nation VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,985
    Thanks for the update. It's important to keep everyone informed. Looking forward to the new app.
  4. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +857
    Ditto, thanks!
  5. RattlerGator

RattlerGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,338
    I am supremely ignorant with the particulars here but . . . why stick with any platform that ties you in with Apple, which is notoriously less flexible than Android platforms? Your problems with ForumRunner / Internet Brands, it seems to me, speak to this lack of flexibility which is IMHO a feature of Apple's approach (yeah, yeah, I know -- it has its benefits).

Just curious.
  6. gatorbill

gatorbill VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,958
    Love your posts Rattler, but have to disagree with you about Apple. :)
  7. RattlerGator

RattlerGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,338
    Many friends who are huge Apple fans, just had a Google Hangout session with a group that included a guy working for Apple. I appreciate their products and their leading edge approach.

Flexibility? That ain't Apple. That's all I'm saying. And this bizarre situation demonstrates the stereotype.
  8. GatorInAtl

GatorInAtl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +635
    Solari

I'd be glad to help out if you need. My company does all kinds of IT development and we've done some work with XenForo and TapaTalk before. I assume you must already have some developer working on it, but let me know if you need some help.
  9. vbmatt

vbmatt VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,129
    Great update, it is much appreciated!
  10. Solari

Ratings Received:
    +2,636
    Rattler, our app is platform agnostic - it work(ed!) on both the Apple and Android platforms. Our problems stem with the company not fixing the app issues and abandoning us.

Even so, we want to support Apple iOS because it makes sense and it's very popular.

Thank you! I just may take you up on this. We don't have a developer, we are going the third party app route like we did with Forum Runner, but with a different company - TapaTalk.com. Their BYO app.

Ray
  11. busigator96

busigator96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,352
    What a PITA! I guess people don't want to earn money anymore.
  12. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,890
    It is very odd that Forum Runner works fine (use it all the time), but the personalized GC one doesn't

Forum Runner clearly doesn't seem too worried about losing your business..

That being said, from a business perspective, why not let go of the idea of a personal app, and just credit paying customers who buy Forum Runner or Tapatalk going forward.....seems like there would much less expense that way, and I highly doubt anyone on GC would care...

Don't waste your money for the sake of a App that says GC, but doesn't have any tangible difference then the apps already out there...

Maybe those companies can give some type of corporate discount for all the business sent their way
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  13. Solari

Ratings Received:
    +2,636
    Guys, TapaTalk support has been enabled for our forums. This means you can download the free TapaTalk app in your mobile app store and use it to access our forums. Please note that you don't need to obtain a Tapatalk ID/login when it prompts you. Just search for our forums (swamp gas) and login there with your username and password you have here.

I've tested it out and it works fine. You'll also be able to see our latest stories, too!

Enjoy,
    Ray
  14. wolfjs70

wolfjs70 Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    Thanks for this. I use Windows Phone, and have been looking for Gator Country in Tapatalk for a long time, and it never showed up. Just searched for Swamp Gas, and there it was. I logged in and am trying it out. I'll let you know what I think in a few days.
  15. biomedgator

biomedgator Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +800
    Just downloaded works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. pcolagator

pcolagator VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,302
    how do you find the forums? thanks in advance...
  17. pcolagator

pcolagator VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,302
    nm...figured it out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  18. Gat0r

Gat0r 10S-NE1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,499
    Have an iPhone 5s. When I first downloaded tapatalk it would not let me log into GC, kept crashing.

Then did a hard reset & now it works great. So try that if you have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. WOCUSA

WOCUSA Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    I don't use apps, but am wondering why that the browser takes so long to load with each story? Is it my computer and is there so many ads to load that it just takes forever? Just wondering.
  20. Solari

Ratings Received:
    +2,636
    Glad Tapatalk is working for some of you! It supposedly works with Blackberries too, so hopefully some of you can let me know how that works out. This the platform we're going to try and use for our custom app.

@WOCUSA I'm not sure, it could be a variety of things. If it's the ads, try and ad blocker. On a side note, we will be revamping our membership packages and setting it up so that paid members don't see ads. We're just fixing things first but it will be nice to have that soon!

Ray