A question for the exercise guys

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Gator515151, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    I mentioned in a thread last week that I have lost over 50 lbs in the last few months and still have about 50 lbs to go. Well, last night I noticed I am beginning to get that saggy skin that comes with massive weight loss. So I did some reading up on the problem. Two of the tips that everybody seemed to give were to cut back the weight loss to 1 or 2 pounds a week and do some strength training to tighten up muscle tone.

Up until now I have been doing mostly walking, aerobics and a little yoga for gaining flexability. Last night after reading I should be doing some strength training I decided to start out slow with a few situps & pushups then slowly get into some light weight training. I figured that being over 60 I have no business working with heavy weights but I never figured a few pushups would hurt anything. Wrong. I got on the floor and with the first pushup (probably the first pushup I have done in 30 years) I tore something.

I lowered myself to the floor and found I had to strain a lot more than I expected to push back up. After just a couple of inches off the floor I got a very sharp pain in my pectoral muscle. I almost immediatly got a chill and started shivering which is something that for some reason always happens when I hurt myself. Well, all night I had sharp pains up the side of my neck and in the back of my shoulder just above my shoulder blade and just a little soreness around my pectoral muscle.

This morning I got up early and called in sick since I do a lot of driving in my job and there is no way I can drive like this. I laid back down for about 20 minutes and to my suprise when I got back up the pain is 100% better, still very sore but no more sharp pains.

I'm wondering if this might have been a dislocation that popped back into place on it's own? About 10 years I had rotator cuff surgery for a tear and this felt nothing like a tendon tear, more like in the muscle or joint.
  2. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,813
    at our age 51- things rarely pop back into place:p
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +490
    With weights, you start out slow with light weights so you don't get injured or so sore you can't do it again for some time to follow.

After you heal, go to a gym and use the machines and don't let the guys there push you into more than you can do. Start light and do ten, and in other visits continue with that same weight until you can do fifty. Then move up a few pounds and start at ten again.

If you can't do ten, you are too heavy so back down until you can. If you can do ten but it is a strain or you are sore beyond normal, back down also.

Slow but effective without the injury or soreness that makes many quit. I lost thirty pounds pretty easy this way and walking, swimming and other less stressful exercises.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +630
    or just go with plastic surgery and get it over with
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. ThePlayer

ThePlayer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,698
    51....bless you my friend and keep up the good fight.
    The best thing you can do for your health is to lose weight.
    Could you afford a personal trainer for a session or two right now?
    If not, work your way back slowly with light weights and isometric training.
    Walking is absolutely the right exercise you can do if you're presently overweight.
    But as you also noted, strength training is also what you need to do to tone up your body.
    Everything in moderation though...for the sake of your golden years and the quality of your life.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,656
    Well the first advice that I have is to start out slow. When I say slow, start out with 5-10 lbs. I would either get a personal trainer, or buy some of those videos for home workout. Slowly get yourself back into shape. Also, you are losing weight, it is from diet or exercise. If it is from diet, you may not be getting the proper amount of nutrition. If you are planning on working out, I would start out with lots of protein. If it is more cardio, then lots of carbs, but not so much you put back on weight.

I am not sure what your injury it. I would suspect a pinched nerve, but never heard of one around your pecks.

Go slow. Get proper nutrition is my best advice.

If it hurts, then stop. Pain is not good while working out. Sore muscles are great afterwards, but you shouldn't have pain working out. The only time pain is acceptable while working out, is if you have sore muscles from a prior workout, and you simply are working out the pain and soreness. It should go away during the workout. If it gets worse, then stop!!!