A pretty underwhelming list, IMO....

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jul 3, 2014.

1. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Brad Stevens would be as scary a hire as I can think of. He's a brilliant guy who'd have even more appeal with recruits after time in the NBA. He'd also probably, at that point, realize he's a college coach (as another poster mentioned) and wouldn't be looking to leave anytime soon. He wouldn't need much time to start assembling an impressive roster if one was needed. If his time with the Celtics didn't go well, he may also be looking for a spot with less intensive media pressure which would make Gainesville attractive relative to other options he'd certainly have.

Why not Fred Hoiberg or Tony Bennett though? I really like both of them, especially Hoiberg.
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    I love Hoiberg, but he has NBA written all over him.
  3. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,470
    Not really interested in Bennett even though he's a great coach. We have enough trouble filling the ODome...don't need them put to sleep by the game once they get there.
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    Excellent point. When he hired Donovan, Foley was specifically looking for a guy that would bring a fast pace to the game and put asses in the seats. Lon Kruger was an excellent game day coach, but his style of play was often excruciating to watch.
  5. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +702
    I guess, based on what I just posted, Enberg would make sense as a hire. Plus, his wife is super-hot.
  6. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +702
    Mrs. Enberg...

marcum_wallpapercoin_blogspot_com_.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Pelphrey, Grant, McCall is the order I would choose from that list.

Few and Stevens would be my picks outside of the list.
  8. Noahtogo24

Noahtogo24 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +115
    I wouldn't want McDermott because of his run at Iowa State.
  9. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Andy EnFIELD was an assistant at FSU and is a hothead...I do not like him, and mentioning the hotness factor of his wife before any of his alleged coaching acumen speaks volumes
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +874
    Well, assuming we're talking about Enfield and not Enberg (;)) he's built a pretty good resume in his brief stops climbing the coaching tree. He started off as a shooting coach for a couple NBA teams, and during his 5 years at FSU they went to the tourney almost all of them IIRC - something they did not do very often under Hamilton before or after that span. He also turned around a terrible FGCU team in two years, taking them to the Sweet Sixteen with a fun offensive style of play (with good defense too). They knocked off highly seeded Georgetown in that tourney before giving us a decent fight for a while. His first year at USC was not good, but we'll see if he's able to turn them around with a full year and an off season.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Yes that is who I meant, haha oops. I just don't like the guy, his public spat with Tim Floyd last year was bizarre and childish and definitely unbecoming of a head coach at a major university. And he spent too many years at FSU to ever wash away that stink
  12. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +416
    The players, including the 04's, spout a lot of love for McCall on Twitter I hope he gets some experience as a head guy somewhere before Billy D leaves
  13. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +416

Teddy's dad is an orthopedic surgeon, I am sure Teddy is a smart, articulate guy
  14. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +702
    I think that some of you thought I was evaluating Teddy when I said I wanted a coach with brains. I was not. It was a general observation on a flaw I've noticed in some of Jeremy's hires, which were "gut feeling" hires. Nothing to do with Teddy, who I agree is smart and articulate.

I had not heard about a public feud Enfield had with Floyd. What was that all about?
  15. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +874
    Based on my conversation with him yesterday, it seems your prediction may end up being pretty accurate
  16. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Tampering with a recruit, spouting off at each other in public, then Enfield takes a shot at Floyd by saying "Tim Floyd wakes up every day in El Paso, Texas, wishing he had my job" or something along those lines. Lots of articles are available on the google machine if you want to know more. Just not a very professional guy.
  17. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    I agree regarding Enfield. i recall his team spouting off during the lead up to our game.... with little interference from its coach.
  18. hoopstar

hoopstar Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    IMO, I do not think BD will leave FL. after 19 yrs. of service there. I do think very soon we'll see BD jr emerge as a coach of the future somewhere, similar to Rick P Sr's son now at MN. I think deep down, this is a priority for him, to help prepare his son get into coaching similar to what Rick Sr. did for his son. Both are chips off the old blocks.
    As much as I like TD & really enjoyed following him throughout his very successful HS & College career, I do not hear the same vibes some on here are alluding to as a possibility for a coaching position at UF. I do think TD will eventually coach at the college level somewhere soon & be very successful despite all the BS you hear about his past - which I get tired of hearing about. None of us can change our past - and none of us are perfect or ever will be.
    As for all the training talk & rumors about who trains with who, Billy has a super staff in place, both Ass't Coaches & Skills Trainers who are available anytime a player wants to put in OT to improve their game. To imply otherwise is misleading. Fla. Basketball is a top 10 program with all the resources necessary to help players reach their full potential as a player.
    And for those that continue to dwell on Teddy's past transgressions & since it's Sunday, I'll close with this: John 8:7 says ''Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at him/her.''
  19. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    Too much to ask, but I will. Where?
  20. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,357
    Matt Mccall is the best name on that list, coaching experience or not....dude is the real deal....can coach, motivate, recruit, connects with players, and is very good with X&O's......