A One-Semester Sport

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorPlanet, Apr 22, 2014.

1. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +302
    Thank goodness my son was not caught by any of the Slave Catchers when he played basketball in high school. Instead, he was lucky enough to get the chance to earn good grades and work summers to pay his way through college.

If you agree to come to my house and build a barn and I give you food, lodging and something of value, is it really my fault if you chose to not take or use the thing of value?

The worst victim in NCAA Athletics had a chance at a college degree and blew it. Cry me a river.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +783
    How much class time do basketball players miss? 20% or more? That's enough for an automatic fail, but they're "excused." But if you're missing that much class time, are you really learning?
  3. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    You are speculating regarding "20%". Pure unadulterated speculation. You really think they just get a free pass across the board? Again, you are making gross generalizations that are unfair and not based on anything concrete.
  4. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    80% attendance for any college kid in any class is pretty high. So many classes today are taught with lectures uploaded online, plus tons of study material available online.
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    I teach at UF in the College of Engineering and have had students that were on the basketball team in my courses during the season. (It wasn't that many.) They didn't miss that many classes and if they were away during quizzes or exams there were proctors so that the student could take them when on travel.

Just like any other sport. Like women's volleyball, softball, gymnastics, etc. where I have had to do the same thing with such students in my classes.

And the athletes were held to exactly the same standard as the non-athletes in my classes.

Missing class is not the biggest issue, though. Finding time to study and practice is. The student athletes that I have known at UF have made huge sacrifices to excel both in the classroom and on the field of play. All of that "fun time" that many of us had in college is missing for them. But they made that up with "fun time" at the Final Four or the equivalent for their sport. I greatly admire that.
  6. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +302
    I had a friend that played golf at Auburn. He could not keep up his grades, so he quit the team and wound up making good enough grades to get in to Vet School at UF. He was not pro caliber and he knew it, so he made the best choice for himself.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    1. "All universities are led by hypocrites." That's an absolute statement but is pure conjecture and opinion. That doesn't equal truth.
    2. "Any university can individually choose to not play games until after Christmas because those are all non conference games." I'm pretty sure the SEC requires each school to participate in pre-conference games before Christmas. And even if they didn't, the schools are participating in the system that's been created...a two-semester sport.
    3. "That they don't shows the true colors of every one." You make it sound like participating in the full season is a crime.
    4. " No exceptions." Another over-the-top absolute. I originally brought this topic up because there is some discussion going about that a 1-semester sport might be a good thing. Why do you make the illogical jump to the conclusion that all academic types are in favor of this, and therefore are hypocrites by playing in the fall? I imagine that the support for 1 semester is from a VERY small minority at present.
  8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +176
    Sorta on topic - I used to love it when College Basketball kicked off at Thanksgiving, I haven't liked it getting pushed back earlier and earlier.
  9. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +37