1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

A One-Semester Sport

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorPlanet, Apr 22, 2014.

1. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +674
    Just to get us into the offseason, I thought I'd bring this up. There has been some discussion around the country about making college basketball a one-semester sport...like almost all other sports (don't argue that football is a two-semester sport, unless you can point to the bowl game the Gators played in in January).

Hoops has been over 2 semesters longer than I've been watching, but the seasons were shorter back then too. I can see some logic to starting the season the first season of January, and maybe starting March Madness at the end of March, rather than the beginning. Currently you have a spate of games in late November and early December, and then not much happens for a couple of weeks as kids take finals (except at UNC and FSU) and they take some time for the holidays. Kind of a dead period there.

The obvious down side to me is that I can't wait that long for hoops to start.
  2. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,196
    Can't imagine how miserable November and December would have been last year without basketball
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +701
    May gosh I would hate that I love watching a team grow in November and the great out of conference games in December. I figured ESPN started this idea so that football could run another two months yuck!

Jeff
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +689
    I've heard people talk about this also, but I don't like the idea. Right now, college bball absolutely owns mid March through early April. You can't push the season back much further without running into the NBA playoffs. I'm not in favor of shortening the season.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +674
    Yeah, I kind of agree with all of what you say there. If the season were pushed back, it could only be by about 2 weeks, tops.
    Not sure where this idea started or how much support for it there is. I could see the benefit to the student-athlete though.
    I do hope that there is resistance to lengthening the season any more. Football, at 12 regular season games, is already too long. Go back to 11, I say.
  6. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Especially given the proliferation of post-season tournaments, I wouldn't mind seeing a reduction in the number of non-conference games and elimination of some Christmas tournaments, although the dollar-driven guardians of "student-athleticism" would never let that happen. But, I don't see any particular benefit to limiting basketball to one semester.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  7. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +422
    OK, taking emotions and money off the table, lets look at this from the perspective of the only persons who really matter, which is the players.

First of all, due to the extension of seasons in almost all intercollegiate athletic sports, several now span parts of two semesters, but, despite low pressure Spring Practice, no other as heavily as basketball does.

The point of making a season a one-semester burden for athletes is to theoretically allow them to dedicate more time to academics. As we all should know, during the season, athletes who are on the floor may have to spend as much as 40-60 hours per week working on, practicing, traveling too, or actually competing in games. This obviously leaves little time for study, or much of anything else.

That is the primary argument for one-season sports.

Unfortunately, in today's Division I athletics, which is essentially a slightly different form of Slavery (see, the wonderful elucidation of this in South Park's "Crack Babies Athletic Association" - ), the poor athletes pretty much work from sunup to sundown on developing muscles, agility, speed, etc., studying playbooks and watching videos pretty constantly for some 11 months per year. I have been astounded at just how much work all scholarship athletes I have had as students during the past 15 years at USF must work. And that has been a fair number from almost every sport. The same was not true back in the 1980s, but sometime in the 1990s there sounded what was essentially a deathroll for free time for pretty much all athletes.

So, really, although there is greater pressure during the competitive season, there remains only somewhat less work in the non-competitive seasons for Division I athletes.

I do, however, tend to support the idea of competitive basketball being only a one semester sport, because that takes the intercollegiate pressure off the players for one, or perhaps two semesters each year, if they attend in the summer.

You also must realize that in order to be eligible to compete, a student-athlete must attend full time, which translates to 12 hours of credits (usually at least four 3 hour courses). Four courses is not a light load for many non-academically oriented students, of whom there are a ton nowadays. Of course, in many Colleges and Universities, the athletes take a lot of courses about underwater basketweaving, or the political ramifications of East Turkistan's joining with China.
  8. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +674
    Themist, short response...I'm all for cutting way back on the time demands on these athletes. Coaches, of course, think they MUST outwork each other, so they're the culprits in all this.
  9. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    All universities are lead by hypocrites. Any university can individually choose to not play games until after Christmas because those are all non conference games. That they don't shows the true colors of every one. No exceptions.
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +453
    Or just go to the "quarter" system and make basketball a Winter quarter sport where the post season bleeds over into the Spring quarter for those involved.
  11. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +674
    Wow, there sure are a lot of absolutes in that statement.
  12. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    What's not true that I said? There's nothing stopping any individual university from saying they won't play until after Christmas, yet no one ever has. Ever. That tells you something right there.
  13. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +701
    The first part of the year is so important to your team...you work on the kinks and of course unlimited practice during the holidays.

If anything needs to be cut down the seasons of its a different sport.

Jeff
  14. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Important for the athlete and his team, but not for the student, so we should just end the charade. Their academics just aren't important.
  15. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,475
    I bet the kids want to play earlier not later, they are kids playing a game after all...
  16. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +701
    Your right I'm not a die hard for academics as I've stated many times basketball is a business. You may disagree, hate it, but its true.

Jeff
  17. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    They should set up a special schedule for those that do actually want to go to class that runs in the offseason and when they're on breaks, etc. Otherwise, they shouldn't be required to go.
  18. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    What are you talking about exactly? The players go to their classes...they complete their coursework and take their tests...there are rules about that sort of thing. If they don't want to go to school, they don't play college basketball. Pretty simple really.
  19. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    But it's a charade. They take easy classes to stay eligible and then go to the NBA. Or they don't even go to class and have someone else do their work. And during tourney time, they're skipping most classes to play. To believe otherwise is naive. Because we overlap with the end of the fall semester when they don't have to, it shows that no one actually really cares if they succeed academically.
  20. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    And to make such overarching blanket statements about all of college athletics is just pure ignorance. A miniscule percentage of college basketball players ever sniff the NBA...thousands of athletes every year graduate with degrees from institutions with varying academic credentials. Your post is claiming that every one of those degrees is a fraud...which is simply not true and is frankly offensive to our own players who worked hard to earn their degrees, some of them with actual real world application. I also don't understand this weird "playing nonconference games in the fall proves they don't care about academics at all!" argument. It is not logical. The nonconference games exist to bolster resumes for postseason play, and ready the team for conference play. You're saying that spending time on athletics in the fall shows that "they" don't care about academics, yet almost every sport has team activities and training year-round. Just because games aren't being played doesn't mean the team isn't engaging in a ton of activities and game study. If the games in the fall are bad, then so are the games in the spring...and the summer, and all college athletics. Why not just shut the whole thing down? :rolleyes: