A Look Back at the 82 Gators Season

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by ACCecil, Jun 18, 2014.

1. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    We answered that bell at the Sugar Bowl several years later. Monte Grow's hit on Studstill was awesome.
  2. swamp1

swamp1 Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    Gray Gator! I damn sure do remember that crazy dog who made it onto the field... H went end zone to end zone - TOUCHDOWN!!!!

None of the players could catch that dog which makes sense. Rarely in the 1980's could UF hand with theDogs!!!

How bout the B-25 bomber who buzzed Florids Field even with the old press box. HOLY #%&*!!! Was that nuts!!!Anyone got video??
  3. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    I was a ballboy from 81-84 for the team and that was just a fun group to be around. Had my own pass so when I was on campus I could eat with the fellas. I remember the ass kicking up in Jacksonville and during the year the offensive players always commenting on how the defense was so bad by the end of the year. Shanahan was a real prick by the way
  4. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575

LOL It was hilarious, but I remember the stadium staff chasing the dog, not the players. :D The dog came onto the field through the Southwest endzone gate when it used to just be a tunnel that led outside and was closed off by a fenced gate. The gate was left open and here came the puppy onto the field! LMAO!

I believe it was during a time out in the game and he ran out into the south endzone and no one really noticed until he bolted out onto the field right towards the football players, then here came the stadium staff chasing after him. The dog ran into the Gators' and Buffalos' huddles I and distinctly remember the players petting the dog but let him run.

He ran from sideline to sideline while being chased by th stadium staff and the crowd started cheering for the dog every time he escaped being caught. LOL He ran into the north endzone and then bolted all the way down the Gator sideline back out the south gate and the crowd went wild because they never caught him!

I also remember the radio show after the game saying the dog had 200 rushing yards and 3 TD's.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. dkgator

dkgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    "Trojans can't handle Gators' Peace" LMAO
  6. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +237
    I was in Nashville at that game against the Commies. Dr. Gary Rolle dropped a perfectly thrown bomb from WP early in that game. Vandy QB was Whit Taylor.

The BB Bowl wasn't broadcast live on TV & as we watched our Gators cruising we made the mistake of going to the car to listen & found out we had lost in heartbreaking fashion. Talk about taking the air out of a party! That did it, but was the norm until SOS gave us Next Year!
  7. stpgator

stpgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Does anyone remember the sign that hung from the hot air balloon at the USCw game?
  8. 1955Gator

1955Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Trojans break under pressure.
  9. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361

I was there for that game; that was probably one of my most memorable trips ever to UF for a game. When they announced that Jimmy Buffet would sing the national anthem, a guy wearing a visor in the directly in front of me jumped up and ran onto the field.-Buffet. He came back and hung around for a part of the first half. Wilbur single handedly destroyed the Trojans, and Pell ran a lap around the field after the game carrying a little rubber alligator. We were euphoric. Then I headed to the Old Pizza Palace on 13th St. to party. Such great times.

I also had the misfortune to be in Nashville for the Vandy game that year. Ugh.
  10. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575

And I remember he took FOREVER to sing the anthem too. They could have played half the game by the time if took him to sing it. ;-)
  11. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,976
    I remember this one in the stadium:
    Gators don't need Trojans....we're on the Pell.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. fortmyersgator

fortmyersgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    That AU game that year is a lost classic. Gators kicked 2 fg's in the last 5 minutes and then had to sweat out an AU fg attempt on the last play..which was barely short. One of the many close games between the 2 teams through the years.

Overall 82 was a transition year as the talent level was rising sharpley but just had not caught up with the Bulldogs. I talked with Charley Pell ( he was very approachable and genuinely took an interest in kids) at the Gator Gathering here in 83 and that loss to UGA really hurt him. He just said that the Dawgs OL was the best he had ever seen up to that time. Of course Herschel was just awesome too.
  13. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +491