A look back at the 2010 recruiting class, contributors and non-contributors, where are they now?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Diesel350z, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,078
    Was just curious to see where our out going class of 2010 ended up and if they ended up being contributors or not. This was the number 2 class in the nation according to Rivals. Feel free to point out anything that's incorrect.

Out of the 27 recruits:
    11 Transferred
    7 are coming back for Sr season
    5 Graduated
    3 Left for the NFL early
    1 was kicked off the team

17 made a contribution
    10 made no contribution

Gideon Ajagbe -LB 3 stars - Contributor- Coming back for Sr season

Neiron Ball- DE 4 stars- Major contributor- Coming back for Sr Season

Mack Brown- RB 4 stars- Major contributor- Coming back for Sr Season

Trey Burton- QB 3 stars- Major contributor- Graduating, possible NFL career

Gerald Christian- TE 4 stars- no contribution-Transferred

Robert Clark- ATH- 3 stars- no contribution-Transferred

Adrian Coxson- WR- 4 stars- No contribution-Transferred

Jonathan Dowling- ATH 4 stars- no contribution-Kicked off team

Quinton Dunbar- WR 4 stars-Major contributor- Back for Sr Season

Chris Dunkley -WR 4 stars-no contribution-Transferred

Dominique Easley- DT 5 stars- Major contributor-Graduated NFL bound

Matt Elam- DB 5 stars- Major Contributor-Left Early for NFL

Sharrif Floyd- DT 5 stars-Major Contributor-Left Early for NFL

Chaz Green- OL 4 stars-Major Contributor-Back for Sr Season

Jordan Haden- DB 4 stars-No Contribution-Transferred

Darrin Kitchens-LB 3 stars-Major Contributor-Graduated NFL bound

Michael McFarland-TE- 3 stars-No Contributions-Transferred

Tyler Murphy-QB- 2 stars- Major contributor-transferred

Leon Orr- DT- 4 stars-Leon Orr-Major -Contributor-Back for Sr Season

Solomon Patton- WR- 4 stars- Major contributor, graduated

Ronald Powell- DE-5 stars- Major contributor-Leaving Early for NFL

Cody Riggs- DB- 4 stars- Major contributor- transferred

Joshua Shaw- DB 4 stars-No contribution-Transferred

Ian Silberman- OL 4 stars- No Contribution-Transferred

Michael Taylor-LB-4 stars-Major contributor-Back for Sr season

Lynden Trail -DE-4 stars-No Contribution-Transferred

Jaylen Watkins-DB 4 stars-Major Contributor-Graduated-NFL Bound
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,722
    It was a top heavy class. Don't think they lived up to billing, that's putting it mildly
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +104
    After the '06 & '07 class, has any 5 star Freshman made a real player maker impact besides VH3 & Fowler? Have any O player hit the ground running?

You can try to say Taylor did last season, and don't get me wrong, he was solid last year, but he didn't have the FR season other recent SEC 5 Star RB have had.
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,057
    That's the killer. Same kind of thing happened to 2011 or 2012.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorman814

gatorman814 Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    hopefully chaz green has a nice year
  6. gatorintx2014

gatorintx2014 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    Honestly, I think it's the 3 and 4 stars over performing that surprised me. I love seeing players that other schools passed on coming in and playing great.
  7. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Just like I give a pass to Muschamp last year due to injuries, I am not ready to make any judgment on Taylor, the OL he was running behind was a train wreck, its began the season 2 starters short, and then continued to lose players almost every week, not sure the same starting 5 ever started 2 weeks in a row.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    that class had some real studs, but way too many strange cases..

A bunch of those players transferred right out of the box, before their freshman year was even over. I think Meyer the snake oil salesman closed the sale on them but then went AWOL in the program during his 18 month prima donna act
  9. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,057
    I feel like KT did the best he could have. Give him a crack and he's a beast. He should look great by mid season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,146
    The 2010 class by itself wasn't so bad. A lot of those guys contributed to the 2012 season, which was almost a historic season for UF. But when you combine it with the 2011 class:

2011 class
    20 players recruited
    10 no longer with team (7 on offense)

and 2012
    23 recruited
    7 no longer with team

and that's 28 players over a course of 3 years that didn't really ever contribute. A whole class essentially. Considering a lot of those transfers were offensive, and you can see why the program is in a bit of disarray.

The 2010 class obviously isn't Muschamp's fault and you have to give him a pass for 2011. But 2012 was fully on him and he blew it, and that was a big contributing factor to the 2013 disaster. It'll be interesting to see if 2013 and 2014 combined can save Muschamps job, but I think the misses in 2010-2012 are just too much to overcome on offense.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    The 2013 class is the type of class you win and build championships on. Every single guy is pretty great
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,057
    Yeah, maybe 10 guys left on roster, and not even the best 10 from the class, unfortunately. That class's attrition leaves huge holes.
    Exactly. If nothing else there is some real drama in that subplot. I imagine most Gators don't know why we are losing and appear undermanned. But that's about it right there. We still have to see if staff can keep the 2013 class on campus. Among other things, I have to believe Muschamp has some deeeeep regrets about letting so many players from 2010/2011 transfer out.
  13. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +1,146
    And in addition to all the attrition in the 2011 and 2012 classes, let's count how many actual contributors UF has remaining from those classes for the 2014 season:

2011 contributors:
    Jeff Driskel - starting QB (probably)
    Kyle Christy - AA punter in 2012, had a bad season in 2013
    Clay Burton - recruited as DE, converted to TE. Starter, not an offensive threat
    Hunter Joyer - starting FB. Good blocker. Not an offensive threat.
    Trip Thurman - back up on OL
    Tevin Westbrook - recruited as DE. converted to TE. Not an offensive threat, decent blocker.
    Valdez Showers - back up/change of pace RB. Recruited as safety.
    Jabari Gorman - strong 2013 season, expected starter at safety

2012 contributors:
    DJ Humphries - Started 2 years at tackle. Expected 2014 starter.
    Jonathan Bullard - plays all over the DL. Expected 2014 starter. Started 8 times 2013.
    Dante Fowler Jr. - Starter at buck. Expected 2014 starter. Started all 2013.
    Brian Poole - Starter at nickel in 2013. Expected starter 2014.
    Marcus Maye - played a lot 2013. Major contributor expected for 2014.
    Colin Thompson - Injury issues. Will he ever play?
    Matt jones - expected to be major player in RB rotation. Injuries derailed 2013.
    Latroy Pittman - back up WR, very little contribution
    Antonio Morrison - Starter at LB. Played a lot since 2012.
    Alex McCalister - back up at Buck
    Austin Hardin - had a rough season, but expected to start at kicker.
    Skyler Mornhinweg - back up QB
    Raph Andrades - back up WR, very little contribution

So, you can see that there are definitely some serious defensive contributors from these classes, but on offense, it's a huge swing and a miss. When you combine that with the issues with the 2010 class, you can see that UF will have to seriously rely on the 2013 and 2014 classes for their offensive fire power. If those classes don't bring it on that side of the ball, Muschamp will be applying for unemployment compensation next winter.

What's even scarier about all this, is that so far, the only players that have emerged from the 2013 class, as of today, are:

Ahmad Fulwood
    Kelvin Taylor
    VH3
    Darious Cummings (to an extent)
    Trenton Brown.

We know we can expect something from these guys, but 3 of those WR in that class redshirted, so we don't know what they'll bring to the table this year, and the offensive gem of the class at WR, supposedly Demarcus Robinson, imploded in his first season on campus. And since the 2014 class doesn't have any instant impact players on offense, at least at first glance, the offensive situation looks pretty damn bleak.
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,461
    Some good points there.

Although we need to recognize that Muschamp was trying to fill holes on the OL in 2012 and when he couldn't get the recruits he wanted he added Garcia and Moore as transfers - both of whom are starters.

Also, based on contributions to date, the concerns on offense in particular are understandable.

But if I'm looking at this roster thru Roper's eyes for use in his offense, I think this is what I'd be seeing:

QBs
    - Driskel - big, fast, strong armed QB with SEC experience. Has the legs and arm to stretch the defense either way. Want mostly quick reads and throws to limit exposure to hits in the pocket where he has been hurt the last few seasons. Quick reads fit what Roper wants to do.
    - Grier - very athletic, talented thrower and runner. Might want to try to redshirt him if possible, so he can develop physically and get used to speed of the game. Would give some separation as well. If we need to use him as a frosh, showed good poise and adapted to speed of game well for the UA game.
    - Harris - fastest and most elusive of the QBs (which is saying something in this group), also have a very strong accurate arm. Legit big play threat with both his legs and arm. Could be perfect in Duke style system utilizing a second QB in certain situations, to add more of a run threat. Also helps get a second QB game ready in case Driskel gets hurt.

RBs / H-Back
    - KT - very instinctive cut back runner with very good lateral agility and good power. Should hit seams well in zone block scheme we'll run.
    - Lane - real deal as a running back and will challenge KT for carries IMO. Should fit this offense great, and be a real complement in running style to KT. More of a one cut and go runner, but reads blocks well and is very powerful, and fast. Most likely of the backs to turn a 3 yard dive play into a 60 yd TD.
    - Jones, Ajagbe, Joyer - can all run, block and catch the ball; I think we'll see them used very effectively as H-backs. I think Goolsby could be used in this role too.
    - Powell - will probably be our most elusive running back, and be used situationally, or possibly in the slot. Showers also adds speed and could be used similar to Powell.
    - Herndon - has similar combination of lateral agility, quickness and power as KT... could fill his role if KT gets hurt, I think. I really like him and don't think he gets enough consideration because he was brought in as a walk on.
    - Brown - reliable SR back to tote the rock when needed.

WRs/Slot
    - Dunbar - reliable possession receiver and blocker.
    - Fulwood - you already mentioned. Picked up the offense quickly and did a nice job. Was primarily possession, but has enough speed to be more, I think.
    - Debose... his last shot at winning an NFL payday. We know he can run go routes and reverses. As well as return kicks. We need vertical field stretchers like him.
    - Bailey - very quick, elusive player with the ball in his hands. How much has he learned as a receiver? IDK, but if he's ready, he will be a legit big play threat. Possible slot receiver if he's comfortable playing and catching passes in traffic.
    - Robinson - big fast physical athlete. No doubt in my mind he'll be a play maker once we get him integrated into the offense. I'd like to see him win one starting wide out spot.
    - Stephens, Hawkins - big athletic guys who high point the ball and use their bodies well. Not as fast as Robinson, but if we want a big receiver out there and Robinson doesn't step up, either of them could. Perhaps Pittman also.
    - Sousa and/or Worton. At the HS level, they both look like legit slot receiver prospects. Both comfortable playing in traffic. Both catch the ball well, and both make plays with the ball in their hands.

IMO, all our QBs, KT, Lane, Jones, Powell, Debose, Bailey, Robinson and Jackson all have big play potential, and we'll find the right guys among the rest to help ensure we move the chains reliably.

Personally, I see a ton of potential, and I suspect Roper does too. How long it takes to get them evaluated, coached up and executing crisply is the big question. Crisp execution including reliably making smart plays with the ball and not turning it over. With new guys in a new offense that is always a concern.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +1,146
    Good point about Moore and Garcia, I should have mentioned them. I actually think the OL has underachieved relative to the ability of the players Muschamp has found to start for Florida. Hopefully that changes with a new OL coach.

I mostly agree with everything else you wrote, and I bet Roper is somewhat excited about the talent on paper.

And I think the talent at RB is way better than what Duke had last year, but I don't think UF has anyone nearly as dynamic as Jamison Crowder was for that offense last year.
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,461
    You could be right on Crowder, but I wouldn't sleep on Bailey, or JC if we use him on that side of the ball.

No doubt our OL has under performed. Fingers crossed that Summer and Roper figure it out.
  17. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,396
    You forgot Jarrad davis. Dude was a beast on the field.
  18. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,057
    I believe that's exactly what we are waiting to see. We can win a lot of games leaning on defense and great STs and a decent offense. We just cannot afford an inept offense with turnovers and miscues. I don't believe it's unrealistic to expect the staff to put together a regime saving season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,396
    And it's not unrealistic to actually believe we will have one either. ;)
    • Like Like x 1