A few small items

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Drewsagator, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    A couple of things that keep coming to mind for me about this team, the season ahead and some coaching. Before anyone bashes me for this, let it be known I am a huge fan of ALL the players and coaches in general but there are some things I need help understanding.

In game situations our staff seems to miss some details that aren't the end of the world but could hurt us down the road. Example of one is the muffed punt where Kitchens bats the ball backward out of bounds and gets called for batting it forward and a 10 yard penalty. It was a contestable call and even though it was only 10 yards it could be the 10 yards we need to get into field goal range on the ensuing drive ?? Isn't somebody on the staff responsible for monitoring these things ??

Hurry up offense. We aren't very good at it and haven't been in years now. Yesterday we would line up on the ball very quickly and then barely beat the play clock getting the ball off....What's the point? I guess it could keep the defense from substituting but it kinda takes the element of surprise out of the whole thing and allows the defense to readjust to any mismatches that it creates.

Using the same players in certain situations. Example would be Trey Burton running a 3rd down short out route.....for 2 years now we have repeatedly tried this and I don't ever remember him getting a 1st down from it. It has been scouted so hard last it has led to interceptions in the last 2 games. Trey is doing ok as a receiver this year but does not run this play well.....maybe try someone else if your going to insist on running the same play.

Repping the younger players......we've are coming into the time when hard decisions are going to be made about redshirting players. For anyone who saw one of the best defensive backfields in the country almost vanish before our eyes in a matter of minutes yesterday should make us reconsider other positions as well. Say Easly and Bullard go down or Cummins and Fowler ??? We need to be giving some reps to guys like Brantley and Bostwick....RB's is another area, Matt Jones has put the ball on the ground a couple of times and really hasn't warranted as many carries as he's gotten in the last 2 games.....I do think some of this is due to missing all of camp, but would it have hurt to throw Herndon or Taylor 4 or 5 carries yesterday ?? If Matt doesn't get it going next week against Kentucky the depth chart should be reevaluated IMO.
    Another week has gone by without Robinson or Fullwood getting anything thrown their way, why not redshirt them !!! Seriously could it be that hard to draw up a play to get them a short pass or any pass for that matter....
    The offensive line does not seem to be getting a good push on running plays either, maybe a little more rotation there would keep the big boys fresher and get some guys ready for later in the year when more injuries are likely to pile up.
  2. isaidso

isaidso New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Something else I noticed during the post game radio interview with Brady, Muschamp made a comment about Taylor getting some carries. He was talking about going with the hot hand. I only saw one carry for Kelvin.

I remember another situation, cant remember exactly when, where coach was surprised that a player wasn't getting on the field and made a comment about fixing that.

Seems we may have a slight breakdown with in-game personnel management as well.

Go Gators!
  3. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +32

I agree in theory with a good part of your observations but would like to debate or offer my opinion on a few.. While I agree that our staff does seem to miss some details during the game, the issue with the batted ball was said to be something that was not reviewable. Now that doesn't mean that the coaches could have had further debates with the refs to see if they were misinterpreting the rule, or actually thought the ball was batted forward. A couple of examples of us not doing the little things were at the end of the game we were in Victory formation trying to run out the clock but we were snapping the ball way to early.. Someone has to be reminding everyone, to snap it at 1 or 2 seconds left. Then on 4th down, they rushed 11 men with no return guy and Christy kicks it out of bounds, stopping the clock immediately. Just catch it and kick right down the middle and let it roll around and kill some clock.

I don't like the hurry up offense unless you are either doing it all of the time, or it is scripted and known exactly when it will be done.

Interesting take on the Burton play but it has some truth behind it as it has caused two interceptions the last two games. I trust the coaches that they probably feel that the play works best with Burton but it wouldnt hurt to try it with another player for a couple of reps in practice

I agree that it is good to get some reps in with the younger players and the best time to do that is when you are ahead and they can play entire series at a time, but I also believe that the players have to earn that right, not just get reps because there is no body else behind them. I would have like to have seen Taylor get a couple of more carries yesterday because Jones seems to still be struggling from missing time, and Brown runs hard but just is not a make you miss, break tackles kind of back. I think the fact we gave up some yardage yesterday made people panic but it was Riggs who blew the coverage on the touchdown and he is one of our most experienced players. I think the coaches want to redshirt Bostwick and Brantley so they were hoping they could get by without playing them.

Fullwood played some yesterday but I Robinson was suspended.
  4. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +241
    This just continues the trend of baffling calls by the zebras against UF.

Not breaking out the tin foil, but can anyone make sense out of that penalty?
  5. g8rboy

g8rboy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +145
    They are hurrying to the line to keep the defense from subbing. Whether they run plays quicker or not doesn't seem to be important.

The batted ball thing also wasn't really blatant. He almost made it look like he was trying to grab it with one hand. Anyway, not a penalty, I thought.
  6. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Yes what a stupid penalty that is. The refs have to judge the player's intent now? What if he was trying to pick it up with one hand and just bobbled it?
  7. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +987
    Yes, the refs f'ed up!
  8. GatorStang

GatorStang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +484
    I agree with your sentients, but I'd like to comment on the Burton out routes... The problem with the play isn't the receiver, it's when the ball is being thrown. The ball needs to be thrown before Burton makes his cut out. Both INT's, Driskel waited for Burton to cut and turn his head while staring him down during the route. Staring down obviously clued the defender where the ball is going, and if you wait too long to get rid of the ball, said defender who was 2-3 steps behind Burton at the break, is now right back with him and covering him like a blanket. I'd like to see if Murphy can throw that pass on time.
  9. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    Actually, I think that was Meyer talking about Gillesley.
  10. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    The pass to Burton, was thrown behind him, if you watch the replay.. Maybe because JD was being tackled. In any case, the ball was telegraphed, and probably shouldn't have been thrown, or thrown earlier to the sideline.

Robinson was suspended, and as far as Fullwood is concerened, I believe he played.
  11. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I agree with your mechanical breakdown of the route but disagree about it's effectiveness.....even when Trey has caught some of these and he has caught quite a few last year and this year, we come up short of the 1st down 90% of the time.....the play has been scouted to death....even if coverage is bad we don't get the 1st down because he breaks too short of the sticks and the defenders have time to recover and tackle him short of the 1st down.......this wasn't brought up to slight Trey or whoever is QBing for us it is an adjustment in play calling or route design that gets called time and time again yet yields no positive results. I have seen this happen what seem like 30 or more times on 3rd last year and this year. It just seems to me that somebody on the coaching staff should keep stats on this and make corrections..
  12. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JlHY4KDAAE

Trey would have had a first down. It looked like it was a pick play, and once Trey got free the ball needed to be thrown. JD had a little hitch, and when he decided to throw it he was already in the grasp of the D lineman. JD stared it down the whole way, and threw it late. By the time JD let go of the ball, the ball needed to be thrown to the sideline.
  13. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    The defender would have gotten a good break on the ball anyway because they knew what route Trey was going to run on 3rd down............the same one he has run for about the last 2 and half seasons !!!!!
  14. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    The idea with the pass to Burton is to lead him. The defender would not have a chance as he was trailing Burton. If the ball is thrown late and behind Burton, then it's an easy pick six. Notice how Burton tried to stop and come back.
  15. jcorb3233

jcorb3233 Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    Just a guess on the INT, but the throw was probably affected by the fact his lower leg was broken at the exact same time as he was throwing it. Can we address the fact that our o-line was completely manhandled by a four-man rush (not just on this play, but throughout the first half), and that Matt Jones looks like he's going to help Humphries before going out on his route, then decides not to?

As much heat as Driskel takes, he doesn't get much help from the players around him. Murphy had nobody to throw to either because receivers just aren't getting open, or the o-line just isn't giving him enough time.
  16. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    I can't count how many times I watched this play. After reading your comments, I noticed that not only did Matt Jones not help Humphries, Jones impeded Humphries which allowed the DE to get around Humprhies and get the straight line angle to JD.