A BIG Problem...

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by BengermanV, Dec 31, 2013.

1. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,056
    We already have some good RBs. Do we have a good qb? Will Driskel improve under Roper? That's what I'm looking at. IMO, you can miss on a RB here and there. You CANNOT miss on QBs. They are the heart and soul, typically, of the offense. Look no further than Winston at FSU. Last year, they had a first round qb and we beat them in their house. Insert a RS freshman QB.....you'd think they would be having a down year. They're playing for a national freaking title. Roper/Driskel/Grier is what I'm focusing on. Jmo

If Driskel was more polished during that 11-2 season, we'd be playing for it all.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +596

U are confusing recruiting rankings with the real deal. Texas is not that talented and you cannot have a checked out coach, they are not irrelevant after all
  3. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +260
    Actually that is not true...Florida does not have a practice of having someone intentionally commit to FSU or another school knowing all along they are solid to UF in order to sabotage that school. We do try to flip players like Fowler that are commited to other schools which is a common practice. I can't actually think of one of our recruits that came out and said they trolled FSU or punked them on purpose even though they knew they were going to UF.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. jcorb3233

jcorb3233 Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    It's fine to think that Grier will make or break this class. I have no problem with that, even if I may not agree with it (he's a huge part of this class, no question, but we need help at other places, too). The problem I have is when people are saying Grier "is all that matters" (i.e. is the one recruit that "will make or break this class"), while simultaneously using "one recruit will not make or break this class" as a reason why Cook flipping isn't a big deal.
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +893
    Funny- good post.
  6. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +490
    We won the state last year.

The players that want to stay in state and play against the best in the Sec will still be coming.
    With so much talent here, we will be fine.
  7. GatorChoice

GatorChoice Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    I think it is much more indicative of the true state of "athletes" nowadays.
  8. gatorfan62

gatorfan62 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +137
    point taken
  9. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,991
    I believe most can read between the lines and understand exactly what that comment means. We have RB's; we need a good QB. That's all I get from that statement.
  10. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +893
    I know and you could easily make the case we need two. Roper probably has his eye on a couple QBs(underclassmen) that he'll try to bring to Florida, unless there's a hands-off expectation between he and Cutcliffe.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    So, you think it's a campaign against UF?

:rolleyes:
  12. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    The make or break is going to be the play, or lack thereof, of the offensive line.
  13. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,991
    I agree. I think we all believe Grier will be a stud but our recent success at recruiting capable QB's seem to agree we need another quality one.
  14. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Duke was destroyed by FSU.
  15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    We have far better players than Duke. Next year we'll prove it on the field... JMO.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Although Cook is an EE, really, the top 20 recruits are frequently over rated, and it is a pretty arbitrary place to set a cut off anyway.

The 21 currently committed kids (admittedly, if Jackson and Lane decommit - that is only 19) look quite good and as was noted, there are a lot of very likely prospects available now due to the several major coaching changes, plus the uncommitted.

You can only judge a recruiting class 3-4 years after the fact, and you don't even know who you will get, except for EEs, until Feb 2nd, so why all the concern? Misplaced concern is the downfall of humans.
  17. jcorb3233

jcorb3233 Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    Part of the concern is that these aren't just guys in the Top 20, they're also UF targets that are choosing to go to rivals instead. Guys don't pan out, that's just part of recruiting, but there is a significant correlation between recruiting stars and college performance. Looking at the Top 20 doesn't mean all 20 of those guys will end up being the 20 best players from the state of Florida 4 years from now, but there's a good chance that, say, 15 of them will be. And the flagship school in the state of Florida should be landing a good portion of the top in-state talent (it's what makes the UF job so attractive to coaches, as it provides a significant recruiting advantage), but there's a very real possibility that UF will land 0 of them.

Of course there's a chance that everything will work out, and that the recruits we land will all pan out, and be better than the guys we missed out on, but playing the odds...it doesn't look good right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +490
    In the UA game we saw the top ranked players then in the army game other names were the top ranked.

Fact is there is a ton of talent out there and we will get our share.
  19. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +893
    I have slight concerns about the overall quality of the class right now although I'm admittedly trusting the recruiting services' opinions. More than half our commits are 3 star prospects whereas the bulk of teams we play each year ranked ahead of us are heavier in 4 & 5 star prospects.

half or more commits to bama, tenn, fsu, TAM, LSU, Auburn, georgia are 4 & 5 star players.

Sure would be nice to finish with four or five top players. Hope staff can pull that off.