9/11 thread---memorial thread

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oldgator, Sep 9, 2013.

1. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +147 / 0 / -0
    starting a couple of days early so we can fill it up.

Hopefully we can keep this a thread that is free of political bickering out of respect for those who died that day. Those who died included Dems, GOP's, libertarians, as well as people of most every religion.

For a year after 9/11 I was deeply saddened over all the victims who died that horrible day. But it wasn't really deeply personal because I did not know personally, any of those who died. A year after 9/11 on the anniversary I had the day off from work and was watching TV. Within an hour or two all the 9/11 shows that flooded all the TV stations/channels started to be just too much. I found a channel(TechTV) in which there was actually regular program on with just a little bit of 9/11 talk so I keep it on that channel to get some relief from the emotional heaviness of the all the 9/11 anniversary coverage flooding TV that day. Well on the first commercial break on TechTV that I saw that day was no regular commercials. Instead, the channel did a slow scroll on a black screen with one name at a time of each person who died on 9/11 either in the plane in Pa, the Pentagon, or WTC. One of the first names I saw in that commercial break was
    -John Ballantine Niven-
    It was accompanied by his age, hometown, company he worked for and his position in the company,his wife's name, etc.
    Seeing his name hit like a ton of bricks. John was a classmate of mine for years in private school(East Woods in Oyster Bay) and we attended the same church since we were young children(St John's in Cold Spring Harbor). He earned the nickname 'Nibbles' because he would nibble high sugar veges when resting on sidelines during sports-soccer, hockey, baseball. I immediately set to contacting other classmates, located his wife's phone number and called and gave a brief, late, message of condolence and my memories of her husband. He died on 9/11 working at AON(a company an ancestor of his founded. that same ancestor was the father of modern accounting)
    Her's a pic of John (Nibbles) Ballantine Niven
    [​IMG]

I'll post again in this thread, sharing where I was and what I was doing on 9/11(working as nurse in hospital in S Fla. The day was one of the most memorable work days of my life)

[​IMG]
  2. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +147 / 0 / -0
    on 9/11 I was at work, we had gotten done receiving report from night shift. And were doing morning rounds, morning meds, helping patients with breakfast, doing rounds with doctors, etc.

All of a sudden it seemed the call light outside every patient room lit up and there were screams from most of the rooms. We each rushed to the nearest patient room. The room I went into had two elderly female patients who were both pointing at their tv's asking 'what happened? is it an accident?etc). The TV was showing re-run of the first jet hitting the WTC, all of sudden the re-run of the jet hitting the WTC was interrupted to show the second jet hitting the WTC. At that moment we all knew, it wasn't an accident, it was terrorism.

I was working a 12 hour shirt that day that stretched into an 18 hour shift(with 6 hours at the end of the shift til I was due to clock in again)

The hospital is in PB County with large number of elderly patients with a large number of them with close ties to the NYC area. They were frantic all day long due to difficulties getting calls thru to the NYC area. Absent were the usual sounds you hear around a nursing station. The only way to describe it is that the day seemed to be in slow motion with everybody in emotional shock.

A scene on our nursing station I'll never forget were some of the Jewish doctors comforting some Muslim doctors. They literally were holding each other and sobbing in each others arms. These were Jewish and Muslim doctors who had family in the Middle East and they themselves were either from there or visited there frequently.

What many Americans are unaware of is that the vast majority of Jews and Muslims in the Middle East get along well with each other. And both see both as victims of thousands of years of insanity brought on by extremists on all sides.

--------

I myself grew up on Long Island. Both my father and sister had worked at the WTC in their careers. I myself had visited the WTC many times over the years
    ---still remember a restaurant bar in the basement subway area called the Loading Zone...and me putting quarters in the jukebox to play some songs til my dad got off work
    ---still remember my fathers retirement party in the restaurant at the top of the WTC---ate my fill of lobster and Kobe beef
    ---remember the bank my father worked at and many f the people there. Thankfully the bank branch moved from WTC several years before 9/11
    ---The company my sister had worked at was a Japanese import/export company and they were pretty much all wiped on 9/11 as they were on a floor just above where a jet hit
    ---A friend here in PB County is an elderly guy who's a recovering alcoholic and he showed me an AA big book that was given to him by Father Mychal. Father Mychal was the NYFD Chaplain who died on 9/11.

--------------------------

thankfully the orchestrator of the attacks on 9/11 is dead