(8) Kentucky vs (2) Michigan, 5:05 PM, CBS

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Mar 30, 2014.

1. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +662
    Soon to be 3....also have a step son. Love the story and have DVRd more UK this year then ever before! It puts the game of basketball into perspective. I used to be like some of those posters...but you grow out of it and realize the big picture eventually!

Jeff
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,920
    Saturday, April 5th Final 4 on TBS

6:00 P.M. ET
    GATORS
    UCONN (the media just adores them!)

8:30 P.M. ET
    Wisconsin
    Kentucky

Go Gators! :)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    Lots of dads of little girls in this thread. I've got a 18 month old. Never thought having a daughter would be so much fun - sounds mean to say though.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    This is death against Florida D imo. they'll pick him apart
  5. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +662
    If we are lucky enough to play Florida...Lee probably won't play much. He will be good in time though just not yet.
  6. born2beagator

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Which I why I want the Cats. If stein is out they really don't have a replacement for him that is going to come close to what he can bring. imo his absence would really open things up for Florida's offense. I think Randle would be in foul trouble early....even with the inexplicable ref penchant to let him play tackle football on the court while traveling.
  7. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +662
    it would be an interesting game...I think we would play zone against you and shade Frazier or box and one him....he's that good!
  8. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,258
    Why do they know us any better than we know them? Besides what do they know other than we own them even at full strength?
  9. born2beagator

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    I don't get why so many are acting like this "knowing the other team" is a one way street. I'd take being on the 3-0 side of the equation over being on the 0-3 side and "being due" (which is a nice way of saying that someone has owned your butt). Both of those are intangibles. Which our team has the best of any in the country. Now, look at the results and play on the court, and I think it is decidedly in our favor.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +777
    Well, you have to consider the teams involved. Florida as late as the last Vandy game was #1 and was claiming the SEC title. Talk of a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney was abound. Kentucky was headed for a freefall and going into the SECT was #2 because the SEC sucked. Yet, Kentucky made it to the SECCG and took us to the brink. Some say if there was one more minute Kentucky would have won the game. Then comes the NCAA tourney. Most here thought Kansas St was going to send them home early. That didn't happen. But then you all wanted them to beat Wichita State, a team made of few, if any, NBA players most of which played all 4 years. Ironic, isn't it? We cheered the school of freshmen and one-and-dones over the team full of upstart players that will never see the NBA. Kentucky beats them and moves on. Then they win again to get to the Elite 8 and you all still thought Michigan would beat them.

Now we get to Wisconsin. I seriously doubt they beat Kentucky. I think Calipari is the real Darth Vader, because he is proving that one-and-dones do win championships; at least get to the Final 4. That's why they celebrated. They weren't expected to get this far and they have fully bought into Calipari's "Team In a Bottle" system. They are a team whether we disagree or not. They routinely have 4 players in double figures, they assist, rebound, steal, create turnovers, and they are playing as a team. Each game they get better and worse, are gaining confidence that the game is knotted up and they can win. 15 points down with 5 minutes to go? No problem. Someone steps up at the end.

As far as One-and-done goes, it's bad for college basketball. If we ever go pay-for-play, the school that can afford $1 Billion will be the school that recruits the Top 10 best ball players in high school. Jeff, I know you are proud of your team, but as a fan, I hate it because of what it does to the sport. If Kentucky wins it all, Calipari will prove you don't even need the conference schedule or the SEC tourney to win the NCAA title. He will prove you don't even need experience. I hope to God that Kentucky doesn't win the title or college basketball is dead.
  11. TheSchmidt

TheSchmidt Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    Is Kentucky really improved and playing like everybody thought they could, or is it just a small sample of games?

In the Michigan and Wichita games, they hit 51% of their threes combined in the two games. They hit 32% in SEC play, a much larger sample of their ability in that department. Some could argue it's because they are getting better looks by passing the ball better and playing more as a team. Are they? In all but one game in the NCAAT, they've had more turnovers than assists, and the one they didn't, they broke even.

Not taking anything away from the run they've had, because they've beaten some really good teams, and have had players like Poythress and Lee really step up for them like good teams do. But, they didn't click some switch and turn into some dominant team like some of the talking heads are saying.
  12. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    You're right about the conference looking better but I really don't care about the SEC - only the gators. Anyone that still goes around disparaging us because of our conference is an idiot that isn't worth considering. My SEC allegiance ends where the benefits to UF end.

Now I want the two teams that blemished our record to further secure this teams place in history. Don't give a crap about the SEC.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +2,258
    Agreed! But can't say it removes all of my fears if I'm being honest.
  14. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +2,258
    A little dramatic. There is room for both schools. We shall see when maybe we play them for the championship. Either way, WE are the team that has beaten them THEEE times in a row. WE are the team with THIRTY straight wins!

People say if there was one minute left Kentucky would have beat us? Who says that? Guess what, there was not one minute left and WE won. WE WON EVERYTHING. We will win everything.

Go Gators!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +918
    My take on this hypothetical matchup
    From what I have seen, and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think Wichita, Louisville and Michigan did a great job trapping Randle and keeping him from kicking it out to their shooters. Michigan's defense today was abysmal, to put it nicely. I don't want to take away from UK, they most certainly have improved since the last game of the regular season. However, they are not the 2012 juggarnaut.
  16. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,449
    Are their big guys bigger and more dominant now? Sounds like they are shooting better but maybe their wins weren't against teams that could defend on our level. I don't know. Both Louisville and Wichita St have excellent scoring defenses and Louisville a great offense. I hope we're in their head if we happen to play again.
  17. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +2,258
    That would be us.
  18. born2beagator

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    recipe for disaster against Florida's defense
  19. orlandogator

orlandogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Well if Michigan had played defense at all they would have won. Even just 2 more plays worth. They wait till the ball is inside then try, with their smaller players to grab a rebound.

But, IMO, knowing the other team is a two way street but it's easier to see what didn't work and think up another approach to counter (UK) than it is to guess what they might try next differently. If your formula works (UF), you likely will not change it until it stops working anymore.

The only good thing is that Stein was effective for them and he is gone. So they have to come up with something else without him in there.
  20. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    I think there's no question they've really improved. Sure, this is only a stretch of 4-7 games, but show me another stretch like it at any point during the season. UK has had three wins in a row that were better than any one of their regular season victories.

That being said, they could have a horrible showing at any point from here on out and be done - just like any team could.