8-4 Would Really Be Good

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by bbreece1, Dec 26, 2013.

1. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,601
    I disagree. Florida going 5-7 or 6-6 next year will almost certainly cause Foley to fire Muschamp. As soon as the losses start racking up next year, the negativity in the program will be absolutely toxic and Foley will have to act.

You're right: Florida as an athletic program has a lot of cash and resources to recruit top-level coaching talent to build and sustain a winning football program. Why? Because of the revenue generated from the football program. When the football program starts losing, the money into the athletic department slips (fans are already pretty pissed from last year's abysmal product and production--a repeat next year will see fans continue to stay away in droves)...and that will cause Foley to act, even if he likes Muschamp and wants him to succeed.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,463

I suspect there will be lots of support for coach next year...
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  3. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,031
    I'd hope you're right. But that was before this season. Losing to anyone -- including Vandy -- could be explained away by injuries or bad luck. Losing to an FCS school in the first game of the year could almost be justified -- they've had the whole summer to prepare, UF wasn't really paying attention, whatever. But losing in the 11th game of the season, after losing five in a row and desperately needing a win, to me, that shows there was something flat out wrong with the program. The fact that he retained his job after that leads me to believe that JF is working with different criteria when it comes to Muschamp. I don't know what they are, but the idea that any Florida coach could survive an eight-loss third season makes me think the on-the-field record has become a lot less important than we're used to.

I also don't know what the money looks like. It could be the SEC TV money is enough to keep everything flush. But I could be wrong.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  4. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,138
    I completely agree about Foley. Something else is up IMO. I have a feeling he will be retiring soon and will let the new AD handpick the new HC. Still doesn't make it right, though.
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,903
    Maybe they don't want to pay the buyout. I wouldn't. I imagine that's $7 mill they could put to some facility upgrades.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,681
    Not sure I agree. Had henry not missed his FG against LSU, we still would have lost by one. And while Henry missed two FGs against Miss State, their kicker also missed one. USCe also thumped us pretty good, and they lost a game to kentucky due to poor SOS clock management late in the 4th quarter. They beat us head-to-head and would have still gone to Atlanta to be Auburn's sacrificial lamb, rather than us.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +784
    If a UF head ball coach goes 8 and 4 in his 4th season, he ought to be coaching at some other school in his 5th. How far have we sunk to think 8 and 4 is a good year?
    • Agree Agree x 7
  8. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,601
    To be honest, I'm not defending the decision to keep Muschamp after the loss to an FCS school. I think Foley should have canned Muschamp for-cause the second the clock hit 0:00--and he would have had complete support from the fans in doing it for the reasons you mentioned.

This could easily prove to be the worst mistake Foley has made in his tenure here (and to be fair, he hasn't made many)...but that remains to be seen. At the end of the day though, Foley's responsibility is to the program that he runs, not any one particular person. A sub-par football program will affect every other sports program at the University for the reasons I mentioned earlier. That can't continue happening indefinitely. At some point, the fans and boosters will stop paying--and Foley will can Muschamp or be fired himself.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,463

Or it could be his best move ever, which I happen to believe. And he will not be fired for 8-4 although I think we go 9-3.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  10. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,601
    I support the University and the players who represent the University 100%.

I support coaches to the extent that they represent the University well and do their jobs capably. They are there to do a job--and that job is to win. Support from the fans greatly aids them in doing their jobs--but the fans are there to support the University and the program, not the coach specifically. Failing to win means that the coach isn't doing his job properly and no, I don't blindly support someone who isn't doing the job they're getting paid to do.

I'll support Muschamp at the start of next season, as I do with every Gator coach every season. But that isn't unconditional support. He needs to do what he's paid to do, otherwise I won't support his continued tenure as our football coach.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,601
    It could be...and if it is, I will happily admit I was wrong to doubt Foley. If we go 9-3, it'll mean we won a few of the tougher games on our schedule and that'll settle at least some of the doubts about Muschamp (not all, but some). 8-4 would mean that we lost all or most of the tough games against the top-tier opposition and, sorry, I don't think the University of Florida should ever accept mediocrity.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,463
    We do not accept mediocrity, we do not however have the option of not accepting reality. Next year is basecamp, judging by our schedule I think 9-3 would be quite good. In the years to follow I would think 10 wins will be the norm, our program was a total mess, it's one good class away from being Florida level.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,601
    Reality is that Florida got pasted at home by Vandy (with essentially a bowl berth on the line) and followed that up by losing to a FCS team at home--an FCS team with more injuries and less depth than us.

Yes, the reality is that Meyer left Muschamp with a mess and a broken program. No one questions that. But in year 3, that fact starts to look and sound like an excuse.

By year 4, it's unacceptable for our coach not to have us looking and performing like a top-25 caliber program. You're right that next year is a basecamp--and if 8-4 is the result, then we know that's really all Muschamp is capable of. I would hope his termination papers would be submitted after that.
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,838
    Agree with most of ths.

But want to reemphasize that against next year's schedule we'll have to be a legit top 25 team to go 8-4. If we do better than 8-4, we'll likely be a legit top 10 team, with more wins against ranked teams than probably anyone else in the top 10.
  15. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    Jacobs? At least get the name right.
    Wasn't arguing who was better, it was your "way better" comment that I was referencing.
  16. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,690

Amazing. I make a post like this and almost every low post count lurker on GC complains that I never say anything positive here. lol ;):cool:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,601
    lol, fortunately, I haven't gotten that reputation (yet), but I hear what you're saying.

Unfortunately, there's nothing untruthful from what I said (and what you--and others--have said). Last season was an epic fail and it really is hard defending the coaching staff from what happened.

Ultimately, I do hope Muschamp gets it figured out. I want him to succeed here--as I want all Gator coaches to succeed. But the ball's in his court here...he has to produce.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    8 and 4... out the door
    • Like Like x 1
  19. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,563
    I know were 25 pages in but 8-4 is not good enough for my Gators damnit. :)
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Gators15

Gators15 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    I agree with the most posts so far. I don't know what the op was thinking. However, 8-4 for the next season from 4-8 this time out is considerably improved for some, probably. But what it considers me is that if it becomes a norm for the Gators being 8-4 afterwards (after next season). Just look at Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and some sub SEC West teams. We don't want to be like them.... would you accept it?

8-4 Would Really Be Good MEDICORE!
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1