727lbs Alligator Smashes State Record

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gator996, Sep 3, 2013.

1. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    I'm bringing him to Sunlife Stadium Saturday!

727-Pound Alligator Smashes State Records
    .By ABC News | ABC News Blogs – 12 hours ago

[​IMG]

ABC News’ Samantha Riley reports:
    Alligators heavier than 700 pounds sound straight out of a nightmare for most, but they became record-breaking reality for hunters in Mississippi over the weekend. Two groups of hunters smashed the record for largest gator in the state, not once but twice during opening weekend of alligator season.
    Beth Trammell of Madison, and her team of five broke the previous record of 697.5 pounds early Saturday morning by reeling in a 723.5 pound mammoth. "When we first saw him," she recalls, "I yelled 'oh my gosh we caught the Loch Ness Monster!'" It took five hours and the help of two additional hunters, but eventually they hoisted the animal into their boat. "It was totally unbelievable," Trammell remembers.

Her record, however, was defeated two hours later by Dustin Bockman, another amateur who managed to wrangle in a 727-pound male, his very first catch. He and two partners struggled with the record-breaker for over four hours in the early morning before pulling him to a sandbar to wait for help. "My goal was to get a 10-footer," he explained. "I couldn't believe it when it was that big."

These massive creatures come as no surprise to Ricky Flint, Mississippi Alligator Program coordinator. This is the first year there has been a state-wide alligator season, opening up massive new hunting territory to those picked via lottery. "We expect the records to get broken and these will be broken, as well. Maybe before the end of this season," he said.
  2. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +329
    Looks like it took multiple shots. I'm positive Florida has some biguns of our own. I've seen a few 10 footers out on the banks near Alachua Sink
  3. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    Our record in Florida is over 1,000 pounds.
  4. Ceal8ter

Ceal8ter VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    World's longest/largest alligator - 1890 - caught in Marsh Island, Louisiana - 19'-2" * (weight officially unknown, but estimations range between 2,000 lbs. to 2,300 lbs

Florida's records are as follows... longest gator is 14' 3 1/2" but only weighed 654lbs.
    Heaviest Gator in Florida was caught in 1989 and weighed 1043 lbs.
  5. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    These 2 broke their record for weight, but not length. The length record is 13' 6.5". These 2 were a couple of inches shy.
  6. Ceal8ter

Ceal8ter VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
  7. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    I can't say that I like seeing these monsters be taken out.