700 pound man asks for diet help on youtube

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by chrisleakfan4life, Mar 5, 2012.

1. chrisleakfan4life

chrisleakfan4life Gator Highlights

Ratings Received:
    +17
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Yeah, that's the ticket. Go with a personal trainer who has morbidly obese people pushing cars.
  3. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,716
    I'll probably get bashed for this, but why wait to you weigh 700 lbs to seek help? I mean, once you top 400 and continue to put on weight..get help!
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +844
    You're a weightist!
  5. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,716
    LOL Maybe it's a character flaw on my part. I just have a hard time Sympathizing with people who let it get to that point.

And his enablers are equally at fault. Somebody has to bring all that junk food into the home.
  6. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Society at large is weightist. Its a fact people that do not meet the chosen ideal of physical fitness at the time are viewed negatively.
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    And as far as letting yourself get to 700 pounds well I guess we all just have a different threshold for what we are willing to accept.

The point where you decide enough is enough is different for everyone.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +844
    If there is a stigma against obesity ... it's becoming less and less of necessity. That is to say that with roughly two-thirds of Americans overweight, one-third obese, and 100% of Americans projected to be obese by 2040 ... there are fewer and fewer Americans who can afford to look down on chubby people!

But whereas humility and compassion may be called for, at the same time, it is not a good thing (for fat people) that fat is fast becoming the 'new normal.'

I just completed my CPR certification and there are now special instructions for resuscitating obese people! For the Heimlich, for instance, if indeed you can get behind them to support them, you pretty much have peform the compressions at the heart level. And God help you if the person passes out with you holding him/her!
  9. chrisleakfan4life

Ratings Received:
    +17
    His stuff has worked, same as the people on the biggest loser.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Yes, it works ... if you have thousands and thousands of dollars and can afford to take weeks and months off from job/school and don't mind running the risk of serious injuries by undertaking inane and unnecessary forms of exercise.

There is a poster, who frequents this forum, from time to time, who has taken off (I'm guessing: more than 200 lbs. now, having done that in an altogether more sensible manner. In other words, he knows better those moronic publicity whore trainers we see (far too often) on TV.
  11. chrisleakfan4life

Ratings Received:
    +17
    True, but how many here have a friend who is overweight and you guys try to intervene?

Whats done is done, the man put out a cry for help and it has to take some stones to do that especially when you're that big.

12. chrisleakfan4life

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Valid points, but shows like the biggest loser really are not that extreme.

most of the time they're doing weight training, cardio and eating a solid amount of calories.

Chris Powell's show, the actual shows is over a time frame of a year and he tries to teach people to do it while dealing with everyday life.

13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Now you're about to get me started on The Biggest Loser. :whoa:
  14. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Don't you maybe think you are asking that question to the wrong group of people?

Ultimately it still comes down to personal responsibility and taking the necessary steps for yourself. This guy finally is doing that and that isn't always easy. Hope he can make some progress.
  15. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +819
    wait now I'm confused. Isn't this exactly what you've been preaching on here, eat less move more cars?
  16. drramer

drramer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    You're an anti-weighttite!
  17. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +331
    Just out of curiosity, did they tell you the freakishly low success rates for CPR when you were getting your certification?
  18. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +844
    :laugh:
  19. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Indeed, the first thing they told us, the FIRST thing was to consider the person dead for two reasons: (1) even if resuscitated, the person would have a 17% chance of ever walking out of the hospital and (2) if you do the compressions right you're going to break cartilage and even bone.
  20. chrisleakfan4life

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Have you guys ever actually watched Extreme Makeover Weight loss edition?

Each episode spans a year

Chris meets the contestant, takes them out to a facility in California to get medically examined and weighed in.

He heads to the contestants house and spends 90 days with them, training them how to exercise and how to eat right.

After that he leaves, and the contestant goes back to their normal every day lives and they have to take what they learn and lose weight.

It's a tv show, of course its not realistic to take 3 months off to lose weight. However the contestants do learn a great deal about exercise and nutrition/diet.

The whole "pushing a car" thing was a challenge, nothing else. He doesn't have these people out there pushing cars every day, they're usually doing regular exercise like every day people. These challenges also usually come after they've lost a decent amount of weight. The whole point of the challenge is to show these people that they can do some extraordinary things and their weight isn't an excuse. One girl pushes a car around a track, another guy climbs all the stairs in the sears tower.

As far as the biggest loser goes, there are plenty of examples where contestants who don't make it onto the ranch come back and join the group who was there.

One season a group of contestants didn't make it, and they came back later on and they had lost more weight than the people on the show.

I haven't seen anybody die from going on these shows, and they rarely get injured.

The show may not be "realistic" because these people get so much time off from work, but from an exercise and dieting standpoint its not extreme like you're making it out to be.