7 side effects of pot in Colorado

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Aug 20, 2014.

1. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    Ever wonder why? Probably because the "dealer" who sells the pot has or has access to those other things (i.e. they don't sell meth at 7-11 or the Liquor store).
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +973
    Close. The reasons are several. The first of course is if you are smoking, you are smoking with people. Chances are very high that one or more of them are doing other drugs. While you are smoking, all smarts and wisdom is up in smoke. You are likely to try because you are high.

Another reason is pot changes your brain chemistry so that you are more likely to try other drugs and there are studies that show pot makes the other drugs more enjoyable.
  3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579

I'd like to see those studies. Yeah, because I always do the smart thing when drinking. Speaking only to personal experience, alcohol is the enabler. Pot the opposite.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,537
    My father lived in India for awhile and told me a story of how we spoke with a taxi cab driver who was intelligent, lucid and interesting. My father was shocked to learn that he regularly gathered around with friends and smoked opium as he couldn't reconcile the normal behavior with the drug use. He told me the cab driver felt the same way about my father and his willingness to imbibe alcohol.

I think the labels we put on a lot of this stuff affect its attractiveness and problems. Overindulging (even on water) usually leads to bad results.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. RealGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +973
    You can deny pot is ok and it will increase your IQ 2 fold, but go ahead and believe in your delusions. This hit home last week when we got a call at midnight from an ER doctor in Atlanta that our 27 yr old son was in a drug-induced coma because he had a psychotic break from his 1st hit of LSD. His 'friends' were 1st timers too and had been smoking pot for years before they all got the wise idea to try LSD after smoking pot all evening. The doctor said if he hadn't been taken to the hospital by his friends, he would have died. He thought he was invulnerable and wanted to prove it by jumping out of a 6th story window. It took 4 guys to restrain him and he bit one of his other friends clean to the bone. After 12 hours he woke up as they weaned him off the meds and he doesn't remember anything.

Pot makes you do stupid stuff and opens you up to doing stupid stuff like LSD. I saw it happen countless times myself and that is when I said adios to pot forever. That was 27 years ago.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Alcohol makes you do stupid stuff too I'm not sure that's a useful anecdote
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
    number 8

All the unemployed pot heads are flocking to Colorado.
  8. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,540
    How do people get pulled over while driving high? Hell way back when I drove high all the time I was twice as cautious thanks to it. It was like I was 16 taking my driver's test all over again. Not a single mistake.

As for the gateway theory nonsense, look, I smoked a good bit of pot in my day and I was offered plenty of harder drugs and turned them down every single time. Why? I was aware of the dangers and decided it wasn't worth it. And that's how you discourage drug use. Just tell the truth instead of lying profusely like we've done with pot for years. And when you know what drugs do to people and you choose to do it anyway, that's your own damn fault.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,764
    I have done coke while drinking. I have never done coke while smoking pot. but I have smoked pot while drinking.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  10. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,212
    And posting?:);)

Sorry! Softball!
  11. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    That must've been the dirtiest dose of LSD around. sounds more like he was poisoned or got blotter laced with angel dust.
    link
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    I like to see the actual statistics on that. How they designed the questionnaire on that one. If you are addictive personality, it does not matter what you're hooked up on: booze, women, pot, meth, work...I would like to see the addictive personalities taken out of the population for the test. The other thing is just because they tried pot first does not mean that pot use was the gateway drug, as in if they had not tried pot first, they would have never tried the other drugs. I do agree however that pot use leads to increased consumption of junk food :). Doritos, in particular. I also agree that it probably makes you thing that the music you are listening is much better than it actually is. But I could live with those. Also remember that medicinal marijuana is different than pot grown for recreational use. One is rich in cannabinoids, the other "high" in THC.
  13. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +825
    Is it the pot that makes you 9 times for likely or a character trait? Causation or Correlation?
  14. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    Yes. Alcohol, Opiates (heroin, pills, etc.) and even coke will cause physical symptoms in withdraw. With opiates, I hear, it's horrible. Know a guy right now - regular guy mind you who got hooked on pills - who has to go to a methadone clinic every morning just to be functional. Amazing the amount of Mercedes, BMW's and folks there on their way to regular jobs.

Pot has no physical symptoms. Yeah, if you smoke regularly, you might be a little cranky, lose some sleep, etc. for a few days to a week, but nothing major. You may find yourself wanting to smoke, but never needing to smoke.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    Once you've taken the leap, so to speak, into illegal drugs, it certainly opens one up for other illegal things. Especially if you are younger. The whole "rebellious" thing, I guess.
  16. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,934
    Of course?!?! One can't smoke alone? One-ies are made for this!

Um, have you ever really smoked weed, or are you just making these assumptions off of rock-n-roll movies you've seen?

I dunno. I'm pretty sure the world's problems and Millenium Prize Problems have all been solved by stoned people.

They just forgot to write it down.

Now booze, most wisdom and judgement goes flying out the door on the second drink.

link?

I'd like to see that study, too. Weed does not go w/ anything. In fact, w/ some substances - it would be useless. Or so I've heard.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    What a novel idea.
  18. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    Or it could be that risk-taking personalities/rebelliousness etc. are more likely to try illegal drugs and marijuana is the natural starting point due to its ease of access. It's really a meaningless statistic without causal linkage.
  19. RealGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +973
    http://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...w/want-to-know-more-some-faqs-about-marijuana

This site was given to us by the ER doc. One thing he mentioned to all of us including our son was future psychotic breaks. Since he had one, he is greatly susceptible to future breaks including via drinking. He has a list of names the hospital keeps track of for those patients who have had multiple psychotic breaks and most of them were dumb enough to use drugs again including drinking alcohol. It's different with everyone but he did look him in the eyes and warned him not to touch anything for a few weeks and then if he decides to go to a bar, take a friend to keep track of him all night.

Ok, pot is addictive but again relatively minor but annoying like nicotine addiction. The site covers pretty everything I've said except the 9 times higher chance of using other drugs. That came from a UAB medical flyer I read a year ago when I ate lunch downtown.
  20. texigator

texigator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +509
    Alcohol controlled my father, whom I barely knew as a result and destroyed my marriage, too (I found out at AlaNon that the child of an alcoholic tends to marry an alcoholic). My sons have alcoholism on both sides of their family (not me, thankfully) and I told them both when they went off to college that I would MUCH rather that they smoke pot than drink alcohol because, to them, drinking alcohol is like playing Russian Roulette. I don't know if it's the American Indian or the Irish in us, but we have alcoholism in both my and my ex-wife's families.

Once the novelty of legalization wears off, the stats will calm down, IMHO. And even though 25,000 people per year die in car accidents, I don't think cars should be illegal.
    • Winner Winner x 1