7 days till Toledo at Florida

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Jstewie15, Jul 13, 2013.

1. ToledoRockets

ToledoRockets New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Part of the reason our D gives up so many yards is because of the style of D they play. Our defensive scheme is ok with giving up yards, because our coaches thought is that if you give the offense enough chances, they will make a mistake (ie- turnovers, penalties, etc.) - our HC said that in an article last year. While that does happen a lot, it is frustrating when our CBs play 10 yds off the ball and are ok with giving up 5-10 yds every play. This D does work at times, because they do force a good # of TOs, but it is beyond frustrating to watch our D be content with giving up yards on every play.
  2. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,279
    That style of game management only works when your offense is pretty much guaranteed to put up points. Allowing Florida to run the ball at will and control the clock forces your offense to score almost every time they touch the ball.

Considering your offensive strength is in the passing game--and our defensive strength should be in the secondary (where we return several starters and break in a 5-star talent who's one of the more heralded DBs in recent years); throwing it downfield against Florida will be a dangerous proposition.
  3. cudigator

cudigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I understand that but that cannot be their game plan going into this game IMO. Florida will gladly take a 6 minute drive to score 7. Heck even 3 lol. Florida is a team that can absolutely exploit that kinda d. And welcome btw. Toledo is a good team for the Mac and probably a stronger team than some here will give credit to.
  4. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    I think this is a bad defensive philosophy.
  5. bocarocket

bocarocket New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2

Toledo ran for about 2500 yds and passed fo 3300 yds. RB Fluellen was leading the country in rushing before he was injured. Missed few games still ended up about 1,500yds(5.8 ypc). Have much more depth at RB this season. Steele's ranked the Rocket RB unit#42.
  6. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    Should be a good game. I hope it's not though. Not trying to make anyone mad at me, especially the Toledo fans but I would like to see our team do very well, especially our "anemic" offense.
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,524
    I'm laughing at "we LET other teams get a bunch of yards" as a defensive philosophy.
  8. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,263
    Ask South Carolina and LSU how they handled this "big boy" in its stadium last year.

C'Mon...every season we spend the summer listening to some cupcake tell us how they almost beat some "big team" once upon a time...and how that somehow matters this year.

Every single time they disappear after a big loss.

We get it...we've heard it every season.

Our team was one fumble away from a possible SEC title game...and/or...BCS title game.

We are not Arizona.

None of it matters come seven weeks from now.

Seriously though, what type of response did you think you would get on arguably the biggest and beatvGator board in Gator Nation?

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  9. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +247
    That and the "we let the other offense have a lot of plays because then they'll make a mistake".

Good lord.
  10. cudigator

cudigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    This has nothing to do with Toledo but a lot of us made fun of "Johnny football"

Shit happens its college football. 7 weeks away!
  11. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +277
    And then we beat "Johnny Football"....
  12. ryanhoward812

ryanhoward812 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    That is a really stupid philosophy and down right laughable...if the offense doesnt turn the ball over then you get blown out....nice double edged sword there toledo
  13. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,279
    Toledo won't win the game trying to get into a low-scoring running game...but you're most certainly welcome to try...
  14. cudigator

cudigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    No doubt! But I wasn't talking about us necessarily just how well he played and the media storm that followed.
  15. bocarocket

bocarocket New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Last Season #18 Defense in passes intercepted(17), tied for #2 for interception(4) returned for TD's, and #2 in interception return yardage(394 yds). I don't think you'll see the Rockets play off receivers as much as the past couple years.
  16. ToledoRockets

ToledoRockets New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Trust me, I do to. I HATE it. Last year against NIU, they ran the same exact play, play after play (it was like a WR screen), and our D did not change at all, even though they were getting 8-10 yds per play. Drove right down the field. Luckily they fumbled inside the 10, so I guess it worked. :laugh:
  17. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,279
    But, again, our offensive strength is in the rushing game. If push comes to shove, Muschamp will pound the rock with our mobile QB and our talented RBs behind a strong OL and I don't think you'll be able to stop it. Toledo has not been a solid rush defense in the last several years and have struggled against good rushing teams.
  18. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,279
    That has been an entertaining game in the last several years...with last season no different.

Lynch is a special QB though, but yea, that must have been frustrating. I remember watching it and scratching my head at the lack of adjustments.
  19. ToledoRockets

ToledoRockets New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Don't wanna talk about those. Especially the one in 2011 when NIU had the ball inside the 10, with a couple minutes left, down 60-56, and UT had all 3 timeouts left. Does our coach use all 3 TOs so that UT still has time to get score when they get the ball back? Nope! NIU runs the clock down and scores a TD with :19 left. Our (former) head coach (now at Illinois) said that he had confidence that the D could stop NIU...inside the 10...after giving up 56 points..so he didn't want to call a TO. Everyone knew NIU was going to score and that UT needed to call a TO, except for our HC. :no:
  20. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,263
    OK, Our guests seem to be accusing us of not knowing facts and just assuming we will win.... so here are some facts:

Toledo lost 3 of their final 4 games last year...to powerhouses Ball State, Northern Illinois, and Utah State. Northern Illinois got blown out by FSU....who the Gators killed on the road. Ball state lost to Kent State and got routed by UCF.

A TERRIBLE defense lost 8 starters, so they may be even worse. The losses include their stud linebacker.

Those 17 int's were really a result of teams throwing so much against a TERRIBLE secondary. They gave up nearly 300 yards a game passing.

9 of the teams 24 sacks were against doormats Akron and Coastal Carolina.

Their defense was the WORST in the MAC. ...in...the...MAC.

They will field a team that consists of recruiting classes ranked: 109, 75, 80, 56 and 69 (for reference Florida's classes ranked: 11, 2, 12, 3, and 4)

So now that A Gator has stated some facts, I have to agree....

Blowout. :wave: