7 days till Toledo at Florida

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Jstewie15, Jul 13, 2013.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,609
    If a big storm system moves through a few days before the game, it will make little to no difference. This is not Boca, with the ocean breeze. Gainesville is NASTY hot for five months out of the year. Storm or not.
  2. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    I think we'll win because we are the vastly more talented team.

I do, however, think Toledo is the real deal. Owens scares me enough that I think if our offense can't get going, they could put up enough points to beat us. If I had to predict a score, I'd probably say something like 31-13, but it will probably feel a lot closer than that.
  3. ih8danoles

ih8danoles Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Toledo will be very fortunate to score 14 points against us. On the other hand, I think their defense (only 4 returning starters that, not that it really matters) will have a hard time holding us under 30.
  4. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,354
    I've no doubt Toledo will be a tough challenge and may well put up decent yards through the air--maybe even get a few points in the process.

But if they've struggled to stop Northern Illinois' rushing attack the last few years, then I don't see much reason why Matt Jones, Driskel, Brown, and Taylor won't be able to gash them significantly--especially with as much as Toledo's lost on defense. With a tough running game that controls the clock, Toldeo will be forced to pass--and that plays right into our hands, given the strength of our defense is in our secondary and our pass rush.

They are a quality team though and will compete in the MAC conference (underrated as a mid-major IMO) again. Toledo and NIU could easily finish in the top half of the Big 10 these last 5-7 years.
  5. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,346
    Well said.
  6. bocarocket

bocarocket New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Has nothing to do with ocean breezes, but a quadrant of a hurricane sucking up moisture/humidity like a sponge incorporating it into the system as it moves across a land mass. Just because you haven't experienced that doesn't mean it's not so.
  7. bocarocket

bocarocket New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    The Rockets lost 3 of their top 4 DL to injuries early. Defensively the Rockets will bw better off than last season. A number of, RS, transfers,JUCO's players coming off injuries,etc that will impacxt the defense. At the same time Toledo will need to move the FB and not turn it over to keep it close.
  8. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +157
    Toledo is a god team but when we play at home with some mojo we should win easily although we won't pull away until late third early 4th qtr.
    Our defense has been good wearing out opponents just as our offense was last year.
  9. DuPontGator

DuPontGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    Uh oh you're sticking around.... Enjoy.
  10. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,354
    It's always a tricky proposition to predict how new players or players coming off injury will do. And regardless, Toledo has struggled against a power run team like NIU. Against a team with a better OL and better RBs playing at home, just don't see that your defense will be ready in the first game of the season.
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,609
    Thanks for the explanation. I still contend that if a big storm passes through a few days earlier, it will remain hot in G'ville. and after living in FL for 30 yrs, I have experienced several hurricanes. This September, no hurricane will save the Rockets.
  12. c_gator24

c_gator24 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Hopefully they've learned to not take any team lightly. Florida wins 34-13

John 14:6
  13. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    if uf has trouble with toledo, it will be a long season
  14. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036
    Well, I think last year should have taught us otherwise.
  15. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Until Boom shows he can build a team with an even below average quality offense any halfway decent team will have a punchers chance of beating us. I'd bet on us 98-99 times out of a hundred, but when the scores are in the 10s and 20s there's always a chance of one or two fluke plays going the other way- say we muffed that punt against ULL instead of blocking it. Playing close to the vest is awesome when you're the underdog, but when you're a huge favorite it keeps games unnecessarily close.
  16. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,346
    Yeah, we won 11 games. It definitely didn't feel like it though.
  17. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036
    It was a tough 11-win season, as odd as that sounds.
  18. bocarocket

bocarocket New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    The Defense will be definitely better than last season, they been focused in on UF since the end of last season. And for the Florida Rocket players, this is the game of a lifetime. There is more talent than the typical MAC team.
  19. gatorev12

Ratings Received:
    +1,354
    I realize that...Toledo is one of the top MAC teams over the last 5-7 years, as I've previously said. I've no doubt they would have finished in the top half of the Big 10 and the Big East in those years as well. They consistently put together strong teams and have played bigger conferences tough. It's safe to say, almost everyone here was rooting for you guys to pull off the upset against Ohio State in 2011 (and nearly did).

Still, I just don't see it happening. Your team has consistently given up tons of rushing yards over the last few years--and especially to strong rushing teams like NIU and Arizona (who's had your number in recent seasons). Florida may not have had the strongest offense last year, but the one thing we were good at (and will be good at again this year) was running the ball. We have a talented mobile QB who's a big rushing threat; have a stable of excellent RBs who are looking to break out this coming year; a beefed-up OL with several returning starters and transfers who were starters at other BCS conference schools; and skill players like Patton and Burton--who've proven they can get lots of yards too.

Toledo has a proven offense, that much we can give them the benefit of the doubt on, as they've scored points and moved the ball on many solid teams--including BCS conference teams. They have not, however, proven themselves to be a formidable defensive team and especially not against the run, which is our strength on offense.

And this is all assuming that Florida's offense has not made any improvements in the passing game, which could open up the running game even more.
  20. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +283
    Seven weeks --ohh how I hope you fly bye.

Man I'm ready for some football.