55 million babies KILLED since Roe V Wade in 1973

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Jan 22, 2014.

1. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Wait, so out of the millions upon millions of abortions that have been done legally in our country, you're saying that if it were illegal and not nearly as available and accepted of an option as it is, that there's no reason to believe the number would go down?

Also, within your first paragraph, what kind of reasoning is, "It's going to happen anyway?" Many things are going to happen anyway, doesn't mean we should try our best to prevent it.
  2. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Well I don't think saying things like teens or young women should just learn to not spread their legs is very helpful in educating teens since it comes off as demeaning and reductionist. Even if you don't or didn't need help--which is a good thing as I believe you are probably a great father--many parents do. Adolescent children especially late teens will be heavily influence by peers and pop culture etc...and while it's good that some will make the right decisions every time, teens often don't, not because they aren't good kids but that is the nature of being a teen and the kind of pressure they experience.So it does often take more than just parents to get through to teens (and I know you have great experience and respect what you have done).
  3. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,413
    I believe you have to get down to the teens level to make them understand otherwise it comes off as a lecture- I made sure my girls all understood how a boys mind thinks when it comes to dating and petting and of course going all the way-
    I did my level best to prepare them for the pressure boys would put on them-I told them if they found themselves in a bad spot to just call me and I would come get them and I would not look down upon them for where ever I found them-don't get me wrong, I was a tough disciplinarian but I made sure they knew I would not judge them if they found themselves in a bad situation- and that life is about choices and bad choices are usually accompanied by bad consequences- when bad things happened to kids they knew we talked about it and I always tried to get them to say what the other person should have done differently-in the end I told them that their Mother and I could not be there to make the decision for them, and that they would have to be strong enough to stand up for themselves and not be pressured into something they knew was the wrong thing to do

I told my kids they needed to be the leaders and be the ones their friends looked to and not the other way around
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173

It sounds like you took the time to actually talk to your kids. Discussion, even with teens, is key to so much I think. So many parents nowadays skip the actual discussion that can be had with a young person.

But hey, when nearly half of the children in our society are being raised by kids themselves, or by mothers who have 3-4 other children to take care of without a father around, who's going to teach these kids and have discussions with them? We're in a vicious circle now because this is happening at even more alarming rate, as you mentioned Bill, it's particularly bad in the black communities.
  5. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,413
    my parents talked to me about any and all subjects-I was the youngest of 4 and after the 8th grade the only kid at home-we still sat down to dinner every night and we still talked about the days current events- I knew I could ask my parents anything and they would give me an honest answer- my kids told me at times they did not always like that I didn't sugar coat anything but as they got out in the real world they also told me that it served them well
  6. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    I believe you to be exactly that and I am sure you did a wonderful job. If I may, I think a key point in this is your statement about "not judging them" if they found themselves in a bad spot. Human psychology is whacked and really people--teens maybe even more--respond to what they believe you might be thinking or saying not necessarily what you are thinking or saying. It seems to me that your making it clear that you wouldn't judge is to me probably a key component that would go over well and likely make that more disciplinarian side of you show you to be a fair man and parent. And I am not just saying this to be nice, I am saying it because your words resonate with what I believe to be effective socialization.
  7. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,413
    thanks jdr
    • Like Like x 1
  8. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Gladly, I am happy you shared the info.
  9. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,413
  10. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +780
    The birth of a panda cub at the National Zoo got more media attention than the huge rally in DC ... big surprise.

Even if I was pro-abortion, knowing what I know about the March for Life, I would go in a heartbeat if I lived close to DC. I went to one of the DC marches years ago and watched it on C-SPAN the following year. It's such a peaceful, beautiful rally that's so built on true grass roots and not corporate astroturf. Seeing these people brave frigid temps year after year is amazing. Another highlight was watching a lot of people looking out of the windows at USSC related offices. They notice.

A very rare positive day for me in American politics. If everyone was as peaceful in getting their point across as this group, the world would be a MUCH better place.
  11. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +735
    Where there is demand, you will find supply. And the number of abortions in places where is it is severely restricted or outright illegal is higher per capita then in places where abortion is allowed. You can also extrapolate what happened when other things were legal and then outlawed, like alcohol and prohibition. There was an initial drop in alcohol consumption at first, but that was very short lived, and in the end, consumption actually went up over previous.

Now we don't know what would happen to the numbers of Roe were overturned tomorrow. But there is plenty of evidence that suggests, long term, it wouldn't have a significant impact on the number of abortions in the US.

Prevention in this case should be done on the demand end, not the supply. End unintended pregnancies and you end the demand for abortion. Of course, we'll never get to the point where all pregnancies are intended, but that's a great goal to strive for. And again, all evidence points to a fact that limiting supply of abortion does little to curb the activity. So you have to ask yourself, what's better? Safe, legal, and rare. Or unsafe, illegal, and no significant reduction in abortions?
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,834
    I thank GOD that Tebow's mom said "NO" to the doctors that suggested aborting Tim Tebow when he was in her womb.
  13. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,319
    You think a seeing a zygote would change their mind?

[​IMG]
  14. JerseyGator01

Ratings Received:
    +780
    One last time: The Dems are the party of science and the fetus is just a blob of tissue.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,144
    You've broken the code Bill. The underlying problem is the breakdown of the family.

White unwed mothers +- 22% (one parent households)
    Hispanic +- 52%
    Black +-72%
  16. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,144
    Wish my dad was more like you. I still remember my "birds & bees" talk.

Came into my bedroom and said "If you think you're gonna get little Sally down the street in trouble, know one thing. I'll kick your ass."o_O
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    I agree ;)
  18. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +169
    The panda is news. The rally is an annual event. When an event is recurring and predictable, it is no longer news. By the way virtually every national media outlet, whether print or electronic, did cover the March for Life.

Some examples:
    http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014...nniversary-of-roe-v-wade-with-march-for-life/
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Antiabortion activists fill the Mall between Seventh Street and the Washington Monument during the 41st annual March for Life.

Nikki Kahn / The Washington Post
  19. JerseyGator01

Ratings Received:
    +780
    Actually, you would never know it is recurring if you watched the network news. I must have missed all of those rallies with hundreds of thousands on a work day in January in DC. Face it, there's nothing else like it out there. Everything else is astroturf. What other cause has been ignored for over 40 years by the fat white abortion loving media? Please name one with this kind of grassroots effort that's not astroturf.

And this rally was unique by tying in other themes like Obamacare this year. Next.
  20. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,319
    A zygote isn't a fetus though, neither is an embryo.

Here's an embryo through the first week:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014