5 tests for the season

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by HungaryGator, Sep 9, 2013.

1. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    1. miami. Fail

2. LSU

3. South Carolina

4. UGA

5. sow

We should win the other games. How we do in these 5 determines how our season goes and really I'd say though LSU and South Carolina are not lesser opponents, the rivalry games mean a lot more to all Gators. How does everybody think we do vs the 5? I'm thinking 2-3.

Less than two wins out of five and we are gonna have some major questions about the current regime.
  2. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    Who knows.

I say we play the defense we played on Saturday AND don't turn it over, we can win them all.

If we turn the ball over and give the other team the game, we can lose them all.

If it is true, we have great character guys in the locker room, I say we come back refocused and dominate the SEC.
  3. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +334
    I'm leaning in this direction.
  4. phillyblount

phillyblount Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +146
    6. Missouri
  5. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I have big doubts about these games. While our defense is strong, mistakes do happen (as in Miami). Our offense seems unable to recover from defensive mistakes. Our offense seems to make costly mistakes. These opponents are much better than Toledo and Miami. Their defenses will likely make our offense struggle mightily. Their offenses should be able to score enough to give them the win. I dont see FSU or Georgia being shut down on every drive. They can probably score more points than us over 4 quarters. Turnovers and penalties will continue to be a problem all season and will cost us games.
  6. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Penalties have been so frequent in the past that I do not see them ending. They have played a critical role often. A lot of dumb mistakes that have not been correctable for whatever reason. The penalties usually seem to occur at the worst time as well. Very frustrating.
  7. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    No. We should win that one. Failing to do that means we would need to beat another of the good teams on our schedule to make up for it.
  8. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I think best case scenario, we win three of them. Most likely scenario, we win 2. Worst case, we lose all of them.
  9. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    We're capable of winning them all. Whether we will or not depends on how good a job we do from here on out in reducing penalties, turnovers, and dumb mistakes (e.g. the OLman who double teamed a defender on the two-point try rather than blocking the guy he was supposed to block). Also on how Jeff continues to grow. Lots of other things - e.g. injuries - but those come immediately to mind.
  10. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    maybe i have talked myself into being crazy enough that i am going to say this...i still think we can win the east... i think we will run all over uga and murray will be murray because our d is so solid, i don't think there is one weak spot on it(if i had to chose it would be safety though). the only game in the SEC schedule that really worries me is at lsu, probably at night with driskel is that stadium i think things could get bad if we need him to make plays for us. but as i said, i think this team can get to atlanta and only in the hope that the offense does not shoot itself in the foot again
  11. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +279
    Considering Miami was the easiest of those tests it doesn't look good.
  12. TyWilliamsGator

TyWilliamsGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Its hard for other teams to score a lot when they don't have the ball. Even on a "bad" day on O we will control the clock. That's the method behind this madness. Only weakness to this plan is turnovers( UGA, Miami, Louisville)And in all 3 games we threw WAY TOO MUCH. We just gotta keep grinding and we'll win games.
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,218
    Or so we thought. I for one am also worried about Mizzou and Vandy. Then again, every year, we seem to have one WTF game. here's to hoping the Miami games fills that void and we move on successfully...
  14. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Miami was perhaps the easiest of those 5 (certainly the easiest road game)...not too confident going forward. Our team was yet again unprepared and played sloppy and stupid.
  15. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +279
    The problem with that philosophy is that you allow inferior teams to hang around with you and if you make a mistake it can cost you the game. For example, we were only up by 11 with :55 seconds to go in the third versus Toledo or even worse was last year having SW Louisiana tied until the final play of the game with the blocked punt. With all that being said, not sure we have the talent at the skill positions on the roster to be a dynamic offense. That LSU win seems to be the flagship game that proved we could grind down other teams but don't forget we needed a miracle play by Elam that really saved the day for that victory.
  16. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +334
    Missouri is no given. They probably should have beaten us a year ago. It is probably another game in the teens. We are just not good offensively.
  17. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,878
    'Substitutions' like that are unacceptable.
    It's not simply the NUMBER of people you beat.
    It's the quality of those programs relative to you.
    If you lose to 'also-rans'....you're an also-ran too.

We can't lose to Tennesse but beat South Carolina to make-up for it..
    That only proves how inconsistent your program coaching and leadership is.
  18. UF67ee

UF67ee Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Based solely, on the games to date and going back to the sugar bowl, I don't see us winning any of those. Someone please explain why we win them all or the SEC east. Am I not seeing something? Yes there is potential in lots of places. What I am actually seeing is poor performance. Don't you think all these teams want to win also, and have the talent and coaching to do it against us. Please pass the kool aid ---- I really would like some. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong things.
  19. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,270
    We dominated both of our first two games.

I don't think it's likely we continue to turn the ball over like this. But we'll see.

If we protect the ball, every single game on our schedule is winnable.
  20. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    This. Second game of the season where we played well on offense and defense and special teams on the road but made several crucial errors that cost us the game. Yep, we got a looong way to go before we can compete with the better teams on our schedule.

God what I wouldn't give to be FSU and just have serious questions on both my defensive line and defensive secondary. Or to be Georgia and be content to know we'll have to score 50 to beat the good teams on their schedule. Or South Carolina who's defensive line has crapped the bed two games in a row and whose QB may be worse than ours. Or LSU who looks to have its worse defense in years.

God their lives must be so much better than ours. I mean what are the odds that our RB will get better after missing all of the Fall or that our QB will continue to progress and make three or four better better decisions per game??