5 seasons of eligibility?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by theghost, May 13, 2014.

1. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +807
    Article in USA Today discusses giving players 5 seasons of eligibility to help reduce injuries. Jimbo Fisher is quoted extensively in the article (I take it w/ a grain of salt that it's Fisher and look at the idea for what it is...and I actually think it's a good idea):

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ll-coach-jimbo-fisher-jameis-winston/9007949/

Fisher thinks if players were given five seasons of eligibility, it would serve two purposes: Help younger players develop and reduce the pounding veteran players take, particularly with a season that has increased to 12 regular season games and a College Football Playoff that will require a national champion to play two physically demanding games in a two-week span.
    “(A freshman) isn’t ready at the beginning of the year, but you have to make that decision (to redshirt) by Game 5 or 6,” Fisher said. “Maybe by games by eight, nine or 10 he’s developed himself to go in there and give you 10, 12, 14 plays a game.
    “At the end of that season when those freshmen are ready to play and can help you on special teams or get 10 reps a game, it takes the pressure off a guy who’s banged up and bruised up. The longer you go in these seasons, the more you have to look at those things as a health issue.”

----------------

It's not a bad idea. If there's a break away from the NCAA and the Big 5 conferences create their own "NCAA" I'd like to see them go back to 88 or 90 scholarships. Not sure if this would impact Title IX. But the reduction to 85 scholarships in the late 80's has definitely led to more freshman playing...and likely more injuries.
  2. navygator88

navygator88 Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    Agreed 100%. Allowing more years of eligibility allows for some other benefits. For those players who are only in college for their athletic prowess, an extra year to complete course work for a degree means one less class per semester. It could be all the difference between a player maintaining athletic eligibility or not.

For other players it would allow them to more easily graduate with a masters as well.
  3. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +508
    I've always been in favor of 4 years worth of games to play but 5 years to do it in.
  4. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +807
    So...you like it the way it is now? No changes?
  5. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    I agree! Tebow should have had a 5th year of eligibility......... and a 6th 7th; 8th etc. :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,861
    Should definitely help some kids get through school and actually get degrees. More advanced students getting graduate degrees as well. Assuming we care about academics, those are good things.

Should help some with depth/injury issues, but I wonder how much. We often see fourth year players who hadn't cracked the rotation earlier in their career, still getting beat out by 2nd year players and even true frosh. How many of the guys that hang around will really add value on the field? IDK.

Unless the scholly numbers went back up to say 90 as the OP proposed, this change would somewhat restrict the total number of kids getting scholarships... every kid that stays an extra year is one less new scholarship. And if we're serious about the academic side of this, we shouldn't be running guys off, just because they're not players that will help you win a championship.
  7. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,794
    If we want to move the ball forward and not just shuffle the same silly cards, we need to separate football from the NCAA. Then Title X will not be an issue. I think the best way is to have a 23 and under league with the freedom to move up and down (read leave without a penalty). And then you have to move on.
  8. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,563
    Pretty sure that's what we've had for some time.
  9. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +508
    Guess I should have been more clear.

What I am in favor of is 4 seasons of games but you can spread it over 5 years, an example is a kid who plays in the four blow out games as a true freshman will only have to miss 4 games in the following 4 years instead of having the entire season flushed.
  10. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +211
    Title IX is a federal issue that the NCAA just enforces. Withdrawal from the NCAA won't release schools from comliance with that law.
  11. fphingator

fphingator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Don't like it. Turn over is what makes college special to me.
  12. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +527
    Title X is a federal law... I'm not sure the NCAA has much to do with it, unless the law is written in a way that it only applies to NCAA member schools. But even if that was the case, they would just change the law to apply to the non-ncaa sports then.
  13. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +145
    I would go further and require that players cannot be drafted without a diploma, that they get four years of football and school in five years, and that they get one transfer without penalty. If a player cannot get a 4-year diploma in five years, then that player would have to go in as an undrafted free agent. Finally, I would require schools to provide ACA-compliant health care to the players, but with additional emphasis and benefits on sports-related injuries.
  14. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +807
    The ncaa has nothing to do with the NFL Draft. The NFL sets that policy. Just like the NBA sets theirs.
  15. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +145
    That is true today, but there is always room for improvement by thinking outside the box.

The NCAA is free to make rules on its end without waiting on NFL lawyers crafting matching rules, or the NBA. I have seen quite a few proposals that make sense. The better ones put the onus of responsibility on the NCAA, since the NBA and NFL do not have legal responsibility over players not under contract.
  16. WARGATOR

WARGATOR Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    The really good players leave after 3. Those that have had a slow development or injury go 4. Those who go for 5 years are either prone to injury or not NFL material.
    Playing 5 years in College should be out of the question unless a year is lost to injury. Playing 4 years in 5 or even 6 if 2 years are lost to injury as it is now is fine with me. 2 or 3 games are already considered as not playing.
  17. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,184
    Within reason, yes. Meaning four years, like it was meant to be from the start. There's nothing special about the NFL picking off the best players a year and sometimes two early. The best players make most of their contribution to a program while inexperienced now, then play not to get hurt their junior or redshirt sophomore year. We just had two of our best DB's throw away their last year of eligibility for NOTHING.
  18. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +807
    AFC, employment laws will trump anything the ncaa would attempt to pass. The ncaa could request to meet with the NFL and create a new policy. But the NFLPA would win an employment/employee rights battle.
  19. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,861
    Agree.... the NCAA trying to force kids to stay in school for football would be no different than forcing them to stay in school rather than enter the workforce in any other area of business... sorry Bill Gates, you can't drop out and start MicroSoft. Don't think that will fly.

I think the govt could pressure the NFL to adopt rules it thinks are best for the kids involved and for the education system. I think the current NFL rules are fine, though. Three years in school is enough to make a decision. Most of these guys thinking they should come out early just need better advice and need to listen to that advice realistically.