5 Reasons to believe we can win the East

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Sep 22, 2013.

1. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    I called the Miami game a toss-up in my thread about our schedule prior to the season.. I was told I was wrong and our Gators would cruise to victory against a terrible Cane defense. Having grown up in Coral Gables and perhaps following UM more closely that most everyone here I knew they would be trouble. I believed the Gators would win by wearing them down but that it would be hard fought. At the end of the day that defense that was ridiculed here forced five turnovers mostly in the red zone and was the difference handing us the loss.

I'm now very optimistic about the rest of our season for a number of reasons.
    1) Murphy at QB will make it harder for opponents to stop us in the red zone with his elusiveness.
    2) Mack Brown is proving to be a durable, steady and sure handed workhorse at running back.
    3) Patton, Dunbar and Burton are stepping up their games and are turning into reliable receiving threats.
    4) Our defense has exceeded expectations and barring injuries could be the best in the country.
    5) We are or were leading the nation in time of possession and I believe that will continue!

Our team should gain confidence as the season goes on making us a team to be reckoned with.
  2. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +411
    If we play our best players, Murphy at QB, Taylor at RB and VH3 anywhere in the defensive backfield we can win all of our games, our defense is that good
  3. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +281
    Hope you are correct.
  4. docspor

docspor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    I think our D has looked great, but we have not played against quality offenses.
  5. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    If our D plays up to its potential and we dont turnover the ball we have a good shot at the eat. I have felt that all year even after the Miami loss. Our Lb's have to play better though
  6. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,607
    Miami and Toledo, offensively, aren't too bad. I'll give you UT. They flat suck on offense. But even still, 6 turnovers is pretty impressive, wouldn't you say?
  7. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +696
    Not bad but it was more from UT being so horrible on offense that any another team in the SEC team would have done the same thing to then
  8. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    It going to be tough to beat UGA, and USC at their place, although, I think that may be easier than UGA, this year. It is doable, but to no one's surprise, it will be tough. Let's see what happens, but UGA looks to be pretty decent.
  9. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    UGA has some serious Oline issues if they continue to play like they have they will struggle to score on us. That defense has no been lights out either. USC has had some real problems on D as well.
  10. docspor

docspor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    I am just now watching - my aging hipster arse was at riot fest. Fowler, WOW.
  11. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569
    UT's execution was very poor, but their OL was the biggest and one of the toughest we'll see all season. We were handling them even when we weren't controlling the clock earlier in the game. Easley and Fowler are the best DL we've had in years. Powell is the best Sam we've had since Kearse. Our secondary is just friggin' ridiculous and seems to get better as more players get hurt.
  12. LTG61

LTG61 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +198
    1a). Murphy will force defenses to play more balanced against UF and get the ball out quicker, improving the effectiveness of both run blocking and pass protection. The o-line has been under full out assault from defenses. UF was passing only when they were forced to, allowing the defense to load the box against running plays. On a lot of pass plays, the line was needing to hold their blocks for a looong time. Also, fewer defenders at the LoS and shorter duration pass blocks will hopefully have the added benefits of fewer o-line injuries and fewer penalties.
  13. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Defense is easily the best in the conference, perhaps the nation. When you consider that we played with our best cover corner out and most of the second half without multiple starters in the secondary, it looks even better.

We gave the Dollies multiple opportunities to score and they couldn't cash in any one of them. Sadly, we couldn't put the defense in to prevent the pick 6, otherwise they wouldn't have converted any of our TO's into scores.

Our offense will keep us from Atlanta this year though. OL is substandard and that will hurt us against teams that will occasionally break through and score on our defense. We can't expect them to bail out the offense every week. I think we have a better chance with Murphy at QB because the staff will not try to be really ambitous with him and only let him do what he can do. They were trying to make Driskel into something he is not and that was causing multiple TO's. They won't try that with Tyler. They will be cautious with him.

Still, I count on two losses (at LSU and either at Carolina and Jacksonville to the Poodles) and you're not going to Atlanta with two losses this year.
  14. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +783
    Defense hasn't faced a good offense yet, especially in terms of passing. GA and SC are much better on offense than anything we have faced.
  15. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Shaw looks pretty good again this year, and they have a good running game. UGA's backfield is real good this year also. We will have our hands full against both.
  16. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    I think we can give both of those offenses fits, but we will not shut them out. They are too good for that.

This is where our offense will decide how far we go.
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    This might be the biggest key to the season. They were trying to do what everybody begged for in the off season when keeping it simple is the best plan of action
  18. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Not sure this is true...

UM had a Heisman dark horse in Morris, a great TB in Duke Johnson, plus all 5 OL returning and some pretty good WRs in Phillip DOrsett and her b Waters...

I think UGA is better overall, but neither UGA or USC are "much better" than UM.
  19. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    UGA has some major issues on D. IMO, we will score 28+ on them if we don't turn the ball over. I also think our D is more than good enough to deal with Gurley.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Few would doubt they have a good (if not great) o-line, but with absolutely nothing else going for them that wouldn't get you very far. Honestly, save a couple of plays I think they still did a decent job against our front (which is without question the most ferocious in college football this year).