5 on 8 and we found a way to win

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by born2beagator, Mar 16, 2014.

1. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,023
    I didn't say UF didn't play good defense. But the team was still fortunate that Kentucky didn't hit a shot.

Just look at the stats. 6 turnovers and only 3 made baskets in the final 10 minutes of the game for the UF offense. Florida's defense didn't exactly bail out Florida either, as Kentucky was able to go on a 14-0 run in that span as well. Although I suppose you can argue that some of that was on the refs.

Even with all of that, Florida played well enough in the first 30 minutes to blow Kentucky out, if they had just hit their free throws. Which they didn't. And they didn't again at the end of the game, and it almost cost them the championship.

Listen, I ran around all happy when UF won and I love watching this team play, but it is what it is: that was UF's worse final 10 minutes of basketball all season, and although they fought hard, they were also a little bit lucky to come away with a win there. IMO.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,873
    I can only imagine what kind of amazing people the posters must be who say the simple solution is just play well enough or so much better than the other team that the refs can't affect the outcome. Yeah, that's a great strategy for those of us who are AWESOME beyond description! But, remember this UF team is merely one of the best UF teams in Gator history. They aren't as AWESOME as some of us All-American posters are!

The bottom line goal is that refs should strive to have a zero net impact on the outcome - regardless of whether each team is playing fantastic or way below their average level of play. I think the refs are usually pretty close to doing that. But, not quite there tonight IMO.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. West_End_Gator

West_End_Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Another one that still has me shaking my head this morning is the failure to call a flagrant on Harrison for shouldering Wilbekin to the ground in the final minute. Jimmy Dykes tried to say that he had a chance with his right hand to swipe the ball away, but that just wasn't true. Scottie was past him already; the effect of Harrison going after him with the right arm with that bad angle was just to crash right shoulder into left shoulder and knock Wilbekin sprawling into the ref. It wasn't a legitimate play on the ball because Wilbekin had him beat. It's the definition of a flagrant one, like Prather's "all ball" call yesterday, but I think they were afraid to make that call at a crucial moment two games in a row, this time in the final minute of the game, so what would have been two shots plus the ball became a one-and-one.
  4. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    The offensive interference call on Hill's shot was not only wrong. It was also stupid.

Why would an offensive player try to tip in the ball into the hoop by slamming it against the backboard so it would ricochet 10 feet back into the lane? Only a defensive player would do that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +747
    That's a very tough call to make. When I saw it live, I leaped out of my seat, but when I saw the replay, I knew it wasn't going to get called because he did reach his arm in there like he was going for the steal, which is all the refs need to waive off a flagrant 1.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +747
    Does anyone who has the game DVRed have the ability to upload the Patric Young "basket interference" to YouTube? I forgot to go back and check it during a timeout, so I only saw the play live. It looked pretty questionable live, but I don't really like to bitch about individual calls unless I can get validation that they were indeed the wrong call.
  7. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Auburn. that was the only game I was "disappointed" in this team. That game took not one, but two of the worst plays I have ever seen for us to win. Yesterday, I don't think we were lucky. The plays that won the game for us, our defense caused.

and swamp, the interference on Pat was egregiously bad. Just trust us. wasn't even close.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,526
    Flagrant without a doubt. Did you also see the finish on the 'forearm flipper'. Harrison looked like a OLB fighting through a TE block to maintain containment. That wasnt basketball. That was a street ball move and you could tell on SW's face, he knew it.
  9. Droppingin

Droppingin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    We won the game.

Despite the second half lopsided calls.
    Despite our poor FT %.

UK with all their super men, still could not beat us.

Forget about it.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    Even the UK fan I watched the game with saw this and the backcourt violation. That amounted to 6 pts given straight to uk on a blatant disregard of the rules/handing uk pts.
  11. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +645
    I'll agree with ya here.

To me, it was clear Harrison made a play for the ball. Problem is, he tackled Scottie while going for the ball. I think, had Scottie not bounced off the ref standing there and had instead smashed into the table, they would have called it flagrant. I think the fact that it didn't result in any kind of ugly spill after the contact served as enough for the refs to not have to make a game changing call right there.

The call against UK that I have the most problem with was Dakari's charging call in the first half. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely a charge. But it came immediately after a no call on Prather being draped all over Dakari. A clear foul that would have prevented UK's starting center from riding the bench for 15 minutes.
  12. GatorKWM

GatorKWM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,226
    We beat 'um at their house...
    We beat 'um at our house...
    We beat 'um at a neutral site, with most of the seats looking like UK fans...

Seems pretty clear. All the rest is just arguing for the sake of arguing.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +747
    A day later, and I'm still perturbed by the officiating yesterday. But this is the last I'm going to talk about it. Gonna put it away and move on.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. yarmond1

yarmond1 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I wish he could have played more as well because Big Pat was eating him alive. But no he had to go and get that charge call on him and in comes WCS locking down the paint. WCS kept this game close with his defense.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    The last time I looked, UK was 2nd in the country in FTs attempted. It's somewhat expected because of their "dribble-drive" offense, but they rely on refs getting "whistle fatigue" & on having the crowd influence the refs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. West_End_Gator

West_End_Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    I'm one of those nerds who actually watches the DVR replays of our football and basketball games and assesses officiating among other things. It's not completely fair to the refs because they have to call the games in real time under very difficult circumstances. I know I could not do any better. All that said, after watching it again last night, I was even more strongly convinced that the calls were unbalanced in Kentucky's favor and very well could have cost Florida the game. I do agree that they missed a couple of calls in the first half that should have gone in Kentucky's favor, and they missed some traveling by both teams on sharp cuts off shot fakes (Prather and Finney-Smith and the Harrison twins all have a bad habit of dragging the pivot foot on their drives before they drop the ball; maybe that's just how the game is played now). Nevertheless, it was very frustrating to watch, even on second view when you know the outcome of the game, because they called it so differently than the Tennessee game. They weren't allowing us to play the same kind of defense, and they weren't giving us the same benefit of the doubt on drives to the hoop or stick backs around the rim where there's inevitably a lot of body contact. For whatever reason, they had a tight whistle on Dakari Johnson and a loose whistle on Cauley-Stein, who did play a terrific game but got away with a couple down the stretch.

The offensive goaltending call on Young was extremely difficult to discern, because his arm and Randle's got crossed going up and from the view of the camera on top of the backboard it's hard to figure out whose hand actually tipped the ball. I'm pretty sure it was Randle who tipped it, and I assume that's what Young was muttering about the whole time as he got benched after the play. But I can understand how they might have missed that one.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    You're actually arguing against yourself with this point here. UF was never down late, so they never had to foul late. Which is why UK has more fouls and UF has less fouls.

Also, you mention there are games where we have 3 times as many free throws as the other team. Please show me where the game threads are saying we're getting jobbed in those games. Otherwise, you have no point again.

Look I hate whining about refs as much as anyone, but the 2nd half yesterday was a special sort of bs that actually deserves it. I don't think any other game this year (aside from Napier's obvious double dribble on his UCONN gamwinner) was poorly officiated to the point where I questioned the ref's intentions.
  18. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,873
    Sounds like a pretty objective review, and supports a lot of what I saw - including an outstanding game by Cauley-Stein (he played quite well against the Gators late last season also).

FWIW, the only UK play that jumped out at me as maybe a missed travel was a move by Randle (I believe first half) where he was near the baseline on the right side and looked to me like he made one of those shuffle moves (that DFS does too often) before getting his dribble down.
  19. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +645

I'm not arguing against myself. I'm saying both teams have offsetting factors that affect their ratio of free throws taken to free throws taken against them.

When I said you guys took 3x the ft's of teams you played against (actually 6x once), I don't need for you to have complained about it to prove my point. I was responding to someone who was indirectly suggesting that free throw ratio is indicative of the fairness of refereeing - hence my examples of past UF games that, according to that line of logic, must have proven to be entirely unfair to Florida's opposition (which I'm not stating was the case btw).
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,756
    I'm sure there were more on both sides as travels tend to get under called in most games.

There was definitely another one on a UK player (a twin?) who went into the lane, picked up his dribble, took a step, then took a "hop, skip, and a jump" as one of the announcers called in on TV, before letting go of a shot.

He looked like he was auditioning for a role in Cats (yes - pun intended) before he took that shot. :D

And I think we got called for a foul after that uncalled travel.