5 on 8 and we found a way to win

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by born2beagator, Mar 16, 2014.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +888
    They got 26 free throws to our 17, so who was getting jobbed?
  2. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    I don't call people out. Its not personal. Its disagreeing.

That being said, if enough people agreed, or even just one mod, I'd understand and would be happy to avoid UF game threads if they're truly supposed to be dissension- free zones.
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    To that I'd said, and have pointed out before, thee were games this year where UF shot 3 to 6 times as many ft's as the team they played. Do you want to apply the same logic to those games?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Your logic of UK playing more physical and getting to the rim more doesn't hold up for this game. imo UF got to the rim just as much as UK, and time and again the refs swallowed their whistle for the UK defense.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. gatormann

gatormann Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    I hate to get too wrapped up in officiating but I think the way the game was called definitely impacted the game in favor of Kentucky. Part of it is that the Gators defense is probably most aggressive in its traps and guards and a lot of that is out on the perimeter. Kentucky, on the other hand, was bulldozing it inside. The trend, unfortunately, is to call it close out on the perimeter and let em bang inside. It resulted in half of our lineup in foul trouble and UK permanently on the line.
    That being said, if Gators hit their free throws, Cats may have never pulled witbin 10.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  6. lhnewman

lhnewman Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +119
    exactly!!
  7. Angaza

Angaza Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    No, you're fine. Dissension will occur anyways. Another calm mind doesn't hurt, even if it is a rival fan.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    I agree but not in a game thread when we are playing that rivals team. Its best to step back and wait until after the game. If the rivals team wins they also might want to wait a few days.
  9. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,275
    Doubt it would have made a difference.
  10. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +495

LOL I learned this the hard way during a football game against a non-rival in a bowl game. I got quite a few very not pleasant post directed my way, despite being extremely civil.
  11. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +705
    Listen boys, the foul discrepancy was a bit of an issue, and I questioned it during the 2nd half, however, this win was much closer than it should have been, because of Florida's piss poor play in the final 10 minutes of the game, and horrendous free throw shooting. In fact, Florida was LUCKY, that they didn't lose, considering they hit 0 shots and 0 free throws in the final 90 seconds and Kentucky had 3 possessions to take the lead for good.

In the last 10 minutes, Florida lost 6 turnovers, was only 3-9 from the floor, and was 0-2 from the line.

We're fortunate Kentucky choked.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. jareduf

jareduf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    It did seem like Kentucky got the benefit of a few calls; however, to me Florida's ft shooting (or lack there of) is what kept Kentucky in the game.

Also, WY missed a couple of easy lay-ups. In addition, seem to be little ball movement at the end of the game.

Still, must fix free throw shooting immediately.
  13. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,275
    You're right about our foul shooting - if we make a decent percentage we keep distance even though the officiating was very one sided that second half.

We really backslid on the foul shooting this week.
  14. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Three games in 3 days could have something to do with it
  15. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +495
    I would agree, but Kentucky shot nearly 12% over their season average with less rest than us.
  16. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +279
    For those interested...the officials at halftime will discuss plays that occurred in the first half and also will receive input from the head of officials or an evaluator at half time as well. The proof to me that they came out with a different mind set to call the second half is obvious to me with the first play of the second half. If you recall Wilby gives Prather the pass and he is going in for an uncontested lay in or dunk and the UK player from the outside clearly fouls him and yet Shows just calls the ball out of bounds. Did Shows have a bad angle or was there another player that blocked his view? No way...he saw the foul and just decided to give the ball out of bounds instead of starting the half with free throws. If you have the game on DVR just watch that play and it can't be any more evidence of how that second half was going to be called. Here is another staggering stat...UK shot 12 free throws in the second half while UF shot 4 (2 came on the intentional fouls in the last 40 seconds) so they actually shot only 2 free throws for the other 19:20 of the second half. If you think the officials did not change the way the game was called in the first half where UK shot 14 free throws and UF 13 than I guess you can chalk it up to another non-sensical complaint about officials.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,817
    You are killing me. Now UK choked. Had nothing to do with our defense.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +403
    the ball never lies......on the final play Harrison clearly grabbed and held Frazier off that screen. Young slipped and fell. Justice served...

yes, the game was poorly officated in the second half. UK was only called with 4 fouls in the first 19 minutes of the half. The non-call on Prathers drive with WCS coming over and clearly fouling him made me want to throw my beer at the TV.

all that being said, and to reiterate the earlier point. We have to hit out free throws down the stretch. The only guy to step up in that regard today was PYoung.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,817
    That's what frustrated me. I don't have a problem with some of the calls the officials made on some of the UK drives (or in the first half in the press), nor do I have a problem with some of the non-calls on Prather's drives. But in the second half the same types of calls were not being made on both ends. I think in retrospect the officials just assumed Cauley-Stein was getting clean blocks or contests because he was so good throughout the game in that respect, but he was making body contact far before making a play on the ball several times against Prather in the second half. I just want some consistency on the calls--and that is precisely what Donovan was complaining about to the officials.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Not even taking the refs into consideration, Kentucky was fortunate we were abysmal on the line and almost choked on the offensive side of the ball.
    • Agree Agree x 1