5 on 8 and we found a way to win

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by born2beagator, Mar 16, 2014.

1. West_End_Gator

West_End_Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Four or five points per game is a huge difference.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,885
    ESPN showed a stat where Kentucky goes to the line more than any other team in the country (or something like that)...

Oooops, there goes Kentucky' retarded claim that the refs are against them. Kentucky fans are the most delusional creatures on earth. Besides the few here, its best not to even read their thoughts or bother with an educated convo.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    They go to the line so much for a legit reason, thats their offense, drive and get fouled. However, UF also tried to work the paint quite a bit today. There was no excuse for the foul discrepancy in the 2nd half
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +956
    For some reason, it appears to be impossible to foul Prather any more. Doesn't matter what happens, no calls when he's driving.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,729
    That call was brutal, and took away an amazing highlight shot by Hill, and I think took away what would have been our biggest lead of the game (I think it would have made it a 17-point lead). They should be able to review those on replay IMO. That ball was going to go in until Randle hit it.

I thought the first half was called tight on both teams. I'm still not sure Patric had one legitimate foul today - certainly no obvious fouls. I wasn't sure about some of the ones called on UK either, such as Johnson's - but that just gave us more of Cauley-Stein who was their player of the game with his defense around the rim. That said, UK got away with a couple of late muggings on Prather including the one late by Cauley-Stein where Donovan went ballistic against the refs - and rightfully so.

I don't believe in conscious bias or conspiracies by the refs (or league), but I agree it seemed like we got the short end of the calls over the last 12 minutes of the game.
  6. West_End_Gator

West_End_Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Or Frazier. The rule that once you start to drive, the defender can't move under you, doesn't apply to him.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626

Despite this, UF averages a bigger differential in ft shooting over competition.
  8. 1bobcat

1bobcat VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    Except the officials are NCAA officials and not SEC officials.
  9. peteypab

peteypab Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    I didn't think the officiating was terrible, although there were some specific calls that hurt, namely the goaltending called on Patric Young that was actually Randle and cost us 2 points we would have gotten. I thought we were very sloppy at times, turning the ball over too much. And the big thing that we have kept saying would eventually catch up to us was the free throw shooting. This game is a lot more comfortable if we weren't so awful from the line. Kentucky also was hitting FTs and hit a few big shots that cut down our lead. Fortunately, all of that still added up to win #3 over Kentucky. Calipari's supposed dominance over Billy took a big hit this year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    Probably has a lot to do with us being up late in games and our opponent needing to foul us.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    Well with that out of the way, I am glad we were able to win with a huge defensive stop at the end of the game. Time to rest up and get ready for 2 tough games this week.
  12. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +959
    Also we foul less on D than most all teams in CBB....so that helps

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    And so were the double digit free throws today. Refs are going to mistakes, and sure, I get moaning about them while the game is going on (I do it all the time, myself). But to make them the focal point of discussion is dumb. Refs make mistakes both ways, it just so happens that today we had a couple go against us. I've seen a dozen or so games where the opposite was true, and a few of those we only won by 6 points or so. Why did no one talk about it then?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,729
    I'm never convinced by just raw numbers. I'm usually going to discuss specific calls or types of calls from a game if I think the refereeing is worth discussing.

As some have already posted, there's a legit reason UK draws a lot of fouls. I think there are legit reasons UF doesn't get called for a lot of fouls (by usually having good defensive position). But, there were several games this season where I thought we (UF) got away with a lot of defensive contact that usually gets called, and our opponents would have had a legitimate beef.

I apologize if I didn't get on here and complain about it after those games, but it's true :cool:
  15. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626

Which is exactly the same as a UK fan saying that UK draws fouls more than most all teams in CBB.

Also, I don't buy the "we got fouled because we were up late" argument. I haven't looked, but I'd bet UK was in more close games within 5 minutes than UF. And the difference in total wins is only 8. Its not like this would have been an every day occurance for Florida as opposed to never happening for Kentucky.

Also, UK was in more close games where THEY had to foul to try and stay in it. Opposite logic works just as well.

Both of these show bias in fan perception - the fact that they were seen as points when the counter points weren't considered.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  16. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +616
    Okay. Stepped back and had a drink, got some food, tried to get perspective. Still have the very strong opinion that it was very one sided officiating in the last 10-15 minutes of the game.

The calls against Florida were not necessarily bad calls (though some were), the calls not called against UK weren't necessarily bad no-calls (though some were), but what was plainly obvious is they were calling stuff differently on one side of the court than they were on the other. I'm fine with a game where teams are allowed to be physical... IF both teams are allowed. I'm fine with a game that's called tightly, if it's called tightly on both ends. This simply wasn't the case. The same things Florida was getting called on at one end, Kentucky wasn't on the other.

Again, not many terrible calls, just ticky-tack on one end, and physical on the other.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. peteypab

peteypab Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    I think you are right in that their is equal proportions of complaining on each side, it just probably seems bigger over on Rupp Rafters because there is more activity. But I know calling out a fanbase for complaining about the refs and on their board will not be well received, so I avoid posting on that place entirely.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. born2beagator

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Exactly. Take note kitty guests. rem you were on our GAME THREAD in the middle of the game calling our fans out for complaining about the refs
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +956
    Almost as bad as fellow Gators calling out posters in the game thread because they wear their emotions on their sleeves (or keyboards?). It's a game thread….people get emotional.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. born2beagator

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    There is emotional, then there is over the line emotional, which I do more than I like to admit. But jmho, rival fans have no business on another team's game thread during the game, especially calling out that team's fans.