47% Anniversary: GOP Gospel, Not Gaffe

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator996, Sep 18, 2013.

1. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    "Romney didn't lose on policy..." :roll: :laugh:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jarryd-willis/47-anniversary-gospel-not_b_3934894.html

Once Romney's 47 percent comments went viral, they remained an incurable virus through his campaign.

A year later, is the virus still active? Is it the case that Romney's comments reflect GOP gospel as opposed to being an hour-long gaffe or a series of ineloquent remarks flabbergasted to be in each other's presence? To answer that question, let's review a few of the GOP's policy positions and remarks over the past year.

"My job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives." - Romney on the 47 percent

The prescience of that remark as we enter the budget and debt ceiling negotiations cannot be overstated. The rhetoric surrounding the debate has already begun, with right-wing pundits Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly taking aim at impoverished Americans who utilize safety net programs. Such sentiments have been echoed all year in suggestions for handling sequestration. While Head Start, Meals on Wheels, and economic security programs took heavy cuts, many Republicans were concerned with White House tours. Despite some Republicans' condemnation of Romney's 47 percent comments, they seem to reflect a predisposition for passive apathy (if not active antipathy) towards the less fortunate among us.

"... had he been born of Mexican parents I'd have a better shot at winning this..." - Romney commenting on his dad not being Mexican.

As offensive as this remark was, it was only the icing on the indelicate cakewalk that began in the primaries (self-deportation has to go down as one of the greatest hits). Once again, there is evidence to suggest that Romney's comments reflect the Republican Party's views towards non-White immigrants. The most extreme examples include Representative Don Young's (AK) racist slur when describing Latinos and Representative Steve King's (IA) unrepentant string of racist comments regarding DREAMers and Latino Immigrants.

Putting those extreme actors aside, it appears that the GOP in general is rescinding their own pledge to appeal to the Latino community. Rather than support immigration reform and try to curb their losses among Latinos in the 2012 election, they appear to have made the calculation that reaching out to a larger share of the diminishing White vote will be more conducive to electoral success in 2016. As noted in an exceptional National Journal piece by Ronald Brownstein, the GOP will seemingly shirk any minority outreach until shifts in national demographics require it for self-preservation.

"I wish they weren't unionized, so we could go a lot deeper than you're actually allowed to go." - Romney commenting on unionized workforce.

This sentiment is reflected in the anti-Union policy initiatives of Wisconsin's Scott Walker, Ohio's John Kasich, and Michigan's Rick Snyder. Romney's desire to 'go a lot deeper' in cuts to the unionized workforce is consistent with Republicans' desire to reduce the size of government (with a third of federal workers represented by unions), their heightened concern for the welfare of corporations, and lack of concern for the welfare of workers. In fact, this lack of welfare for workers is embedded within another comment Romney made -- the comment I always found the most appalling (and the media appeared to overlook or ignore)...

"... when I was back in my private equity days, we went to China to buy a factory there, employed about 20,000 people, and they were almost all young women between the ages of about 18 and 22 or 23." - Romney on Global Tech, the Chinese Sweatshop he bought

Asian girls aged 18-23 working in huge factories for hours at $.24 per day, "bunk beds on top of each other," using "little bathrooms," and fitting "12 girls per room." Romney's casual description of the factory was disturbing, and likely didn't help the Republican Party with Asian voters.

Taken together, it is clear on this anniversary of the 47 percent tape that many of Romney's comments reflect core Republican Party values, which have continued to undergird policy positions and statements throughout 2013. In short, it seems more like GOP gospel than an accidental gaffe at a fundraiser.
  2. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,533
    hey he was right
  3. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    He was right and anybody who voted soley on that statement is a blithering idiot!
  4. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,533
    lots of blithering idiots in the party that voted to reelect prezBO
  5. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Very true.
  6. Gatoragman

Gatoragman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Libs just can't handle the truth!!!!!!!
  7. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +731
    This is why America is in decline... 100% dead on ....

I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives." - Romney on the 47 percent
  8. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,361
    Most of the people I know voted for Obama, and they all work, they pay their bills, they coach their kids teams and lead scout troops.

Obama was beatable in 2012, Republicans just couldn't come up with anyone that America wanted. Romney was the closest you had from a really ridiculous primary slate. But America didn't want him.
  9. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,697
    As we see here, as long as the GOP believes and promulgates the 47% bs, they aren't sniffing the Oval anytime soon.
  10. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    With party members like some of you guys who posted on this thread the GOP has no chance at national relevance ever again... :ninja:
  11. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +798
    With over half of the country living off of the government, a shrub with a "D" after its name could become President. Media brainwashing is at an all time high.

I'll just have to cling to my guns and my religion.

CORRUPTION RULES!!!!!
  12. Gatoragman

Gatoragman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    With idiots libs like some who post on here, if you remain in charge this country has no chance!!
  13. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,361
    it's not our fault we lost the election, it's everybody else's. It's the media's ... it's all those people ....
    grow up guys.
  14. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

As usual a fact check in order....

The "47%" from the campaign has actually fallen "43%" today...

So no, technically its not half the country nor is it moving that way either.

Talk about the victim of media brainwashing :roll: ITS YOU!!! :laugh: