40% of the youth are now living at home with their parents

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dadx4, Aug 2, 2013.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,057
  2. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    I have two children. One that could not wait to get away from home. Went to school out of state, got two finance related degrees, graduated with high honors and is an analyst at a investment bank in NYC. The other went to UF, partied, barely made 3.0 GPA. Came back, lived with us, worked at a law office, matured and is about to go to law school. People mature at a different pace. Blame the fact that we as parents are not as tough on our kids as our parents were on us. We have spoiled them, unfortunately.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +838
    How well does that number track with marriage rates?
  4. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Reported by several source today
  5. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +770
    but to be fair you kind of need to subtract folks living in west virginia and tennesse
  6. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,305
    100% of these Millenials have not married either one of their parents, same as before.
  7. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,239
    Clearly you're a bad parent for not talking your kid out of law school. I say this somewhat tongue-in-cheek (both wife and I are attorneys). We're doing well but the industry as a whole is suffering economically and with personal satisfaction.
  8. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,540
  9. ncgatr1

ncgatr1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,017
    The Labor Part. rate went down last month and Unemployment dropped. Maybe if Ammericans stopped working we could get it down to zero. Wait until those unemployed young get their mandatory insurance coverage they voted for.
  10. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +279
    50% of the parents are paying for the childrens homes. That leaves 10% that have for the time being made it and are paying their own bills. Thats only a rough number as 9% of those return home to their parents house at some point. :ninja:
  11. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    1. the matter of young adults still living with their parents in America is likely due to
    ----living under same roof to save money. or bring more money into the household. Much like both a husband and wife working.
    the above assumes the young adult is working or contributing in some way to the financial, etc wellbeing of the household. Sadly that is not the case many times since there is the following situation that is likely contributing
    2a---the young adults not working due to job situation in America.
    2b---the young adults lacking the various skills an adult needs to be living on their own---social maturity(ie---conducts themself responsibly as an adult in society), emotional maturity(many of today's youth simply were coddled, etc by their parents and are emotionally dependent upon them--may come from parent being a friend instead of a parent).
    and likely other factors as well

once again an OP has posted an attempt to slam Obama for numbers that exist today without posting a source in the original post regarding the numbers the OP is claiming.

Sorry OP you fail, an article posted later in the thread refers only back to 1997. However, the trend of more and more young adults staying in their parents home has been on a sharp rise for about 20 or more years now. Suggest you look up stuff before exposing your ignorance.

In other societies(mainly Asian, but there are others) there is a lot more reverence for family elders than in Western societies. And in many Asian countires it is common for young adults to live permanently in their parents home with the parents for the following reasons
    1. more money can stay in the family when there are more than 2 wage earners covering household expenses. money goes to paying for 1 home instead of 2 or more.
    2. closer family ties/structure(something I hear/read cons complain about there being a lack of in the U.S.--ie the breakdown of the family unit)
    3. Of course, in Asian countries where the practice has been going on for centuries they likely have it pretty well structured. And likely have little or no room for young adults who are freeloaders. So children from an early age are taught to contribute to the family and not freeload.

Then there is the benefit in Asian countries in which many generations live in same home at same time that the experience, wisdom, etc of the elders is passed on to younger generations. As opposed to the sink or swim practice in America where the young adult is bounced out of the parents house at 18-21 years of age or so. And if parents did good job raising their children the children will thrive on their own. But if the parents failed to do a good job raising their children, those children will likely become freeloaders, criminals, etc and not thrive on their own.

own household---my brother, sister , and I all were self sufficient and able to thrive at 18 when we left our parents house. Though we all received a lot of money from our parents it was limited to feeding, raising us, and good schools up until we were 18. At which time we were on our own. And it wasn't until we each had proven ourselves in real world that we started receiving inheritance type money.
    Now that we are older, our mom stays in our homes.Stays with each of us about a 1/3 of the year before going to her next child's home. She is 92 years old(father passed away a number of years ago). And rather than send her to nursing home we take turns taking care of her(Alzheimer's, and is pretty happily confused but unable to care for herself). My brother, sister, and I also take turns hosting our spouses parents who are also elderly.

It is kind of ironic to see cons complaining(and justifiably so) about the breakdown of the family unit(mainly due to lower and lower percent of people getting married and staying married). Yet in this thread are criticizing how young adults living with their parents CAN be a way of strengthening the family unit in America. I highlighted the word 'CAN' because the concept of multi-generations living in same household is a foreign concept to most Americans(as seen by some comments in this thread). But if effort is taken over time to make the concept of multiple generations living under one roof is done it just may strengthen the family unit in America. Of course, there is always the possibility of Americans being unable to make it work for them. But given American ingenuity why should it fail?
  12. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Old, I believe the thread/discussion was centered/focused on the problem of kids living with their parents due to lack of opportunity in the no growth economy. It is great you and your siblings are assisting your 92 year old mother. Conservatives applaud you. Liberals would reprimand you as they would claim that to be a government responsibility.Undoubtedly you are reciprocating for the great job she did raising you (except for your political beliefs). however when you were 18-25 the economy was likely better and there were more opportunities for you and your siblings to support yourselves. But I'm sure the slack, no growth economy is Bush's fault, right? Or Cheney? Or Haliburton? Couldn't possibly be regime policies could it?
  13. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,073
    I have 2 sons who moved out on their own in this poor economy (one with a small child).....both during the Bush years. They had to live with less and tough it out. Both are doing well and have learned a lot about making good financial decisions.

Many youngsters are used to having a lot of stuff paid for by parents....my take is that many remain home because on their own, they wouldn't be able to afford the lifestyle they had while living at home and their parents paying the bills.
  14. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Undoubtedly true. Yours must have moved out in the year after 9-11.

We had one boomerang back as her Architecture firm in Atlanta went out of business in 2008. She still had 6 months of rent to pay at $1000 a month and found a job back in her home town. So we told her to move back in until she had fulfilled her lease in Atlanta...she stayed at our house for a year, saved $10 K, got married and is doing great. So we provided a "stimulus" helping her ignite her situation.

Always exceptions to the rule but bottom line is the economy will not really grow unless there are new households being created. Lack of jobs is slowing that down. Why is there a lack of jobs? Why are companies not investing to grow? Why is there caution? Hint. It is not Bush.
  15. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +488
    I know of several young people who moved out after graduating, could not make enough to live on their own (although they wished to) and moved back in with parents. The never ending Obama apologist will refuse to acknowledge this is going on (as usual).
  16. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    A change from 32% to 36% is more than a 12% increase.
  17. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,540
    This kind of thing has been going on for as long as I can remember.
  18. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,311

Or, 3% prefer Maker's Mark neat.
  19. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,540
    My son stayed at home with me until he was around 22 or 23 then he stayed with my mother because she needed someone with her. He is now on his own and recently purchased a very beautiful home with his wife. My daughter left a bit earlier, somewhere around 22 and my step-daughter is still staying with her father. As long as a kid is willing to abide by the rules of the house then I see no problem with them staying until they can get on their feet. I also don't see why it would surprise anyone that more kids are having a hard time living due to the bad recession we have experienced.
  20. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    I guess the real question is the underlying reasons. Do we have more young adults living at home who would rather be elsewhere? I think we do and that it's a reflection of our economy.

I'm not opposed to young adults living at home as long as they and they parents are accommodating about it. Our second daughter owns and operates a dance studio. She wasn't married and we told her she was welcome to continue living with us as long as she wanted. We've cherished the additional years of having her around and she was able to save money. She'll be married two weeks from today at age 26 and I'm REALLY going to miss having her around.

Fortunately, we won't be empty nesters yet. Son 17 and daughter 14 are still here.