40 Armed Gun Advocates Intimidate Mothers Against Gun Violence

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by 108, Nov 11, 2013.

1. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,464
    Nevertheless, if the opposition doesn't show up at all, do the cameras? Sometimes ignoring people is the best form of protest.
  2. egator1245

egator1245 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +214
    And you would know a lot about idiots and weenies wouldn't you?
  3. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,112
    that's really what you have to offer? and you feel good about that?
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,873
    If that's what they are and how they operate, then seems like ignoring them would be more effective tactically. If what you say is true, then these guys are basically giving them exactly what they want, which seems, well, counterproductive.
  5. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +341
    Except that they are winning political battles. How does ignoring them help?

Look, if I was in OCT I would not have answered the call. I have to assume the small number of people that showed up are a tiny fraction of OCT. I have no idea. I won't call them idiots, weenies, or gun bullies, though.
  6. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,190
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. There is a sizeable percentage of people who carry concealed who think the open carry crowd are bad for the average gun owner's image.
  7. malligator

Ratings Received:
    +341
    Be that as it may, they were not threatened and they were not going to go out guns ablaze against the open-carriers as was suggested.
  8. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +281
    I'm sorry, but just walking around with a rifle on your shoulder looks stupid, to me, unless you're hunting deer or something, or you're taking out military targets. Pistols make more sense for self-defense, and guess what? Even in Texas, open-carry is illegal for pistols.
  9. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,000
    Yeah because open and/or concealed carriers go out committing crimes all the time.
  10. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,464
    Yeah, but bottom line is it was creepy and weird and just a really pad PR move. And I support gun rights.
  11. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,464
    I think it's just an image thing probably. The CC's probably see themselves (correctly, IMO) as more legit, more mainstream, etc. The thinking, I assume, is along the lines of "don't pull a gun unless you're ready to use it." In their case, "Nobody needs to know I have a gun unless the situation calls for it."

The OC, in their eyes, (correctly, IMO) look like hot dogs and/or guys with small-penis syndrome. Unless, that is, you live in a very rural environment where that's a necessity.
  12. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,190
    Not sure what your point is. I never made any claim about crimes committed by legal gun owners. I simply pointed out that there are plenty of gun owners who think the open carry crowd do us no favors.

Personally I see two sides to what they do. On the positive, they educate and desensitize the police to the idea that we have the right to carry a gun in the United States. On the negative side they do stuff like the topic of this thread which bothers people and businesses who otherwise might be fairly neutral about people carrying guns. Making voters see your cause in a negative light isn't smart politics.
  13. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,112

"Hey, everybody!! Look at me!! I have a gun!!! Is that cool or what?!?"
  14. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,611
    Yeah, and this was brought up a lot re: starbucks. carrying AR-15's to starbucks because you can isn't necessarily the best way to go about things. I support their right to do so, and think open carry should be legal, but I also support the right of a private business to refuse service to anyone for any reason. If you want to present a good face for open carry you should dress well, carry a holstered pistol on your waist, and keep your hands off it unless a threat presents itself. If a property owner or designated agent asks you to leave, then do so. Otherwise, be respectful and open a dialogue.

Personally, I wish OC was allowed in Florida as concealing a full size or compact pistol is hard to do during the summer months, but for tactical reasons (element of surprise) I'd probably still opt to conceal 95% of the time.
  15. malligator

Ratings Received:
    +341
    "Hey everybody!! Look at me!! I'm walking around with a gun not causing any trouble or breaking any laws in direct contrast to what the group inside the restaurant is trying to tell you!!! I'm not a criminal at all!! Cool, huh?"
  16. malligator

Ratings Received:
    +341
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  17. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,112
    no, they were not breaking any laws. Showing up in church with a "Jesus sucks" T-shirt isn't breaking the law, either. But you're still an axxhole.
  18. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +281
    Well, it's Texas. The NE equivalent is people who wear Harvard sweatshirts to appear smart.
  19. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,464
    Interesting. Very interesting. Still not a fan of the move as a way to promote gun rights. But just shows you how devious all these political non-profits are. Funny thing is, even without the posing/smiling, they really are not a very intimidating bunch.

I still think the biggest hurdle the gun-control crowd has is the failure of the war on drugs and IMO they should be confronted with that every day. How can you look at that and think gun-control will even work? If anything, history tells us it will make it worse.
  20. malligator

Ratings Received:
    +341
    Lobbying behind the guise of motherhood isn't breaking the law, either, but you're still an a-hole.

According to OCT they assembled, walked to the restaurant, took a couple of photos and left. Reading the news accounts you'd think they'd taken up sniper positions around the neighborhood and trapped the women in the restaurant for hours. Lying for political points isn't against the law, either, but it makes you a straight-up a-hole. Being a journalist perpetuating the lies of the side you agree with makes you an unethical a-hole.