4 times in a season?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by red4512, Mar 30, 2014.

1. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    I was really looking forward to this final 4 since I never thought UK would get past Izzo's group. But now that UK somehow pulled it out, its put slight damper on next weekend. 1st they would have get through Wisc and UF rolls UConn. Beating the same team twice is hard and three times is vicious but has 4 times ever been done in the same season? I googled this but I didn't get a definitive answer.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. jareduf

jareduf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    Michigan St. beat Wisconsin 4 times the year we lost to Michigan St in the Finals. In fact, Michigan St beat Wisconsin in the Final Four.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,696
    Not that I know of. The closest two examples were Nova beating Georgetown in the 1985 title game after losing to them twice during the year, then Kansas doing the same to Oklahoma in 1988.
  4. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    A team has beaten UK 4-0 before. It happened in the 1950s. They showed the stat after we swept KY 3-0, and the listed the other teams to sweep them in a single season.

Regardless, you are making the gambler's fallacy. It's hard to beat a team 4 times in one year, but after we have already beaten them 3 times, it's not more unlikely that we lose the 4th game. Think of it like this: if you flip a coin 10 times, and it's head 9 times in a row, the last coin flip isn't more likely to be a tail. The previous 9 flips have no bearing on the last one.

If anything, us beating them 3 times in a row (once by 10ish, and once by 20ish, and two games had leads of 15+), it's more likely that we beat them the 4th time. This media narrative of the freshmen growing up in 2 weeks is highly flawed. They are definitely playing better than when they lost to South Carolina etc, but they aren't that much (if at all) better than when we beat them in the SECCG. Also, remember we were pretty run down int eh SECCG having to play Tenn in the semi-finals, while KY only had to play UGA.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +378
    IMHO the Gators and the Cats are the best two teams in the country!
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,240
    Ummm . . . they didn't. o_O
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    It's not like our wins over them were flukes. We were superior on all three days. The idea that somehow they are better than us now is just an irrational fear stemming from a fatalistic, sense of doom from some fans.

Can we lose to them? Well, of course we can. The same way we could lose to UCONN and Wisconsin (or Michigan or Michigan State, if they were still alive).

I was more concerned about Louisville and Michigan State due to our abysmal record against Pitino and Izzo. I also wasn't thrilled about facing Stauskas and his 6-6 shooting from 3 point land again.

We know what we're facing in UCONN and if we beat them, we know what we have to do to beat Wiscy or UK.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. InagaddavidaGator

InagaddavidaGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Izzo's group? KY was never on his side of the bracket. The only time they would have met would have been the NC.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,729
    That can't be right Savage....the SEC sucks.
    Don't you realize only 3 SEC teams made it in?
    And Tennessee even had to sing for their supper.
  10. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +133
    I think you did real well with the coin thing for anyone that flips for money. When it comes to people brains get in the way. Of course that could work in all kinds of ways if it came down to UF vs KY again. :)
  11. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,246
    Sure, it would great to beat UK 4 times in one season. But we already beat them 3 times and my first preference would be to get wins over UConn and Wisconsin since those were the 2 losses for the Gators this season.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I want a win in the semi final, then I'll worry about who we face on Monday! ;)
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    I'm not more worried UK beats us. We are better. But the possibility is there. The pain of losing to UK and watching them holding the trophy knowing damn well we are the better team is simply the worst scenario that could play out. We should be favored to beat any three of the teams left, and in fact we are. But losing to UConn or Wisconsin won't be the same level of difficulty to take as losing to a team we've beaten three times and we know we're better than.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +899
    Each flip is independent, true. But if you miss 50/50 9 times in a row you are due. We're only looking for heads four times in succession and we're not relying on chance. We have a good team. Kentucky does look to be shooting better all of a sudden and I would think we have to knock them off that part of their game to win. I'm feeling foolish for worrying about a fourth Kentucky game at this point but it is fun to discuss.
  15. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    No it hasn't.

If anything, its made me more excited. I seriously doubt that "But, but, but its hard to beat a team 4 times in a season" is ever going to be on our players minds. Yes a loss to them would be painful, and would validate that scumbag's one and done philosophy beyond a doubt....however a win over them for a championship would be one of the best moments of my young sports life.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Google "don't be a pussy".
    lol
    We are men and they are boys.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. DowntownGator

DowntownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    Even if KY happened to beat Florida in the finals, the Gators would still be the better team, having a winning record against KY for the year and so it would probably always be a taint on the title, IMO.

In the final polls, does the winner of the NCAAT always get crowned #1? I don't know, but that would be the more remarkable feat for an unranked team like KY.
  18. biggynugs

biggynugs Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    The coin flip analogy assumes both sides are exactly equal. These
    Are teams compromised of different men with different talent levels and different coaching. The sum of those parts has proven that UF and ky are not exactly equal, so the coin flip thing doesn't exactly apply. But yes, KY is completely capable of beating us on any give day, given the right circumstances.
  19. gatorbush

gatorbush Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    No balls...none.
  20. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +356
    While I admit that it is not a great situation in terms of UF winning the game, considering we have played three times already and UK is playing well -- the game would be historic. I don't see either team blowing out the other, and the game would be billed as the last round of a season-long prize fight.

But we gotta win our semi first. Go Gators!