3rd Down Offense

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by sHiNeR2, Oct 1, 2013.

1. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    Our offense is currently tied for 15th in the country for 3rd down conversions at 51.7% (30-58). I remember last couple of years, anything over 3rd and 2 was an automatic punt (sarcasm.....sort of). Even more encouraging is TM has done a great job. Since his first possession, Florida's offense has gone 17-28 (60.7%). Obviously that's only good for 2 games, but it would make for the 4th best in the country.

My personal opinion for the great conversion rate is twofold. 1) Penalties are down, and we're in a much more manageable 3rd downs. 2) Our passing game has improved in year two of Pease. Both JD and TM have done a great job of finding receivers on critical 3rd downs.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,983
    Interesting. Granted, we haven't faced a very good defense yet, but you can attribute much if it to the reduction in negative plays early in possessions (penalties and sacks). That has put us in far more manageable third down situations. It also helps to have more mature, experienced quarterback play, which applies to both a returning starter in Driskel and a fourth-year junior in Murphy. It doesn't hurt when your quarterbacks are hitting 69.9% of their passes (first in the league). That means your quarterbacks are making appropriate checkdowns rather than taking sacks or throwing the ball away. And that hasn't even adversely affected our yards per attempt, which is seventh in the league at 8.2.
  3. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,074
    I've said this a few times already, but it wasn't very long ago that we simply could not pick up short yardage running the ball, and that is a welcome change.
  4. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    But what really good defenses are on our schedule? I don't see many (any)? I look for this trend to continue, especially the more live game reps Murphy gets so the offense gels more.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,983
    Point taken. But LSU and UGA should at least get nominally better. They have talented, even if it is inexperienced. Not sure what to make of South Carolina. There is no reason they shouldn't play better. FSU is sort of hit or miss. Regardless, I do think we will face better defenses than the three we just did. Opposing defenses will also start scouting Murphy a little better and clamping down on the things he is comfortable doing.
  6. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,163
    ^^^good points on opposing D's starting to clamp down on TM's comfortability.

The remaining D's on our schedule aren't all-world, but they are talented and well coached. We all know UGA, FSU, SC, and LSU recruit the same players we do.

When teams play us, their O stats drop....but their D stats improve. I think we finish somewhere in the middle against these better teams, especially the one's that can score. If we let UGA & LSU get easy/cheap points (through turnovers and/or ST's mistakes), we're in trouble - mostly because our inability to score points.

The reduction in penalties has been very pleasant to see. And the 3rd down efficiency certainly has helped our TOP.
  7. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I would be interested in knowing what percentage of conversions Driskell's teams had vs vs Murphy's. It appears TM has been more efficient in running this offense.
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,840
    Baaed on the OP's numbers, it must have been 13/30 or 43.3%. So we're running about 17% higher under TM against the Vols and UK, than we were under JD against the Canes and Toledo.

Could be partly due to the competition, but we do appear to execute cleaner and more consistently under TM.
  9. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    Yes. I couldn't agree more. One of the major problems last year, and even throughout the first couple of games this season, were the penalties. They absolutely crushed drives. They made a not-so-great offense absolutely awful throughout stretches of games last season. So, of course those can't all be attributed to Jeff.

But you wonder if the offense is responding better to how Murphy is getting them lined up, receiving signals, changing plays at the LOS, etc...I remember confusion in the second half of the Tennessee game with the snap Murphy got while he wasn't looking, but it's been a far cleaner product.

As far as defenses around the league go, I just don't see us really going up against an elite one right now. Lost in the performances that Murray and Mettenberger put together last Saturday was just how bad both defenses really were in that game. Everybody assumes that talent eventually translates into production, but that's not always the case-even with sound coaching. LSU and Georgia looked awful defensively. If you want to argue that the 'Bama defense is a work in progress, I can buy that; I think they'll get better. The other ones around the league suck right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SkyChimp

SkyChimp VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +181
    The defense would crowd the LOS and dare us to throw the ball.... thats what happened in Miami. Now we have a fighting chance with Murphy as he can either throw, or scramble out of trouble with his fast lizard legs
  11. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,840
    Excellent points on opposing defenses... they might raise their level of play against us like UGA did last year, but right now the teams on our schedule just aren't playing solid defense.

Should also add that our RZ offense has improved tremendously under TM as well. We were four for four with three TDs in the RZ last week. I don't remember the numbers against the Vols, but we put up 31 in three quarters, so it must have been pretty good.
  12. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +273
    Alabama in Atlanta :)
  13. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    That's correct. I tried to avoid another Driskel vs Murphy thread though. The main dip was the Miami game where the offense was 6/15 (40%). Toledo game was 6/12 (50%). The first three drives of the UT game, we were 1/3 (33.3%).
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,346
    3) We've played two sorrya$$ teams... But I hope TM is just getting warmed up for the run to the SEC East Championship Game. :grin:
  15. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,840
    I rather hope he's getting warmed up. :joecool:
  16. g8t0rb8t

g8t0rb8t Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    For all intensive purposes, I hope your right! :joecool:
  17. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    The most intriguing scenario this year will be what happens if we get down by 14 and have to start throwing.
  18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,346
    Lol... Yes, forget the Mezcal too...
    • Like Like x 1
  19. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,655
    I agree with a lot of this. The QB's familiarity with Pease's passing schemes and keeping penalties down are helping the offense's stats a lot.

If we could keep our penalties to less than 30 yards per game, we'd be done very well.
  20. SydneySLee

SydneySLee Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Actually UGA had some of the best athletes of any SEC defense of the past 10 or so years last year. Yet up until the UF game they were looking like Tarzan and playing like Jane. Before the UF game Shawn Williams called out the defense saying they all sucked. They played more like Tarzan against us. This year, UGA's defense is nowhere near as talented or experienced as last year's.