3* LB/DE Caleb Johnson Columbus, GA

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gatorplank, Jan 11, 2018.

1. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,068
    We picked up a crystal ball for him today. Also saw this on twitter from a 247 Atlanta recruiting analyst:

• Like Like x 1
  2. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,068

Sounds like a perfect fit for Grantham’s scheme.
  3. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,648
  4. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,621
    I can't say I know anything about him. Excellent size. I guess I need to watch the film.
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,400
    meh, he is a big ILB but not used as a DE. I'd like to see more of him with his hand on the ground. I liked Dorian Gerald's video better at DE. Most of Caleb's video was against the same 3 or 4 teams that were not very good. A positive he shows great timing in his ability to jump the play count.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  6. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,648
    Gerald is a JUCO and Johnson is a HS kid. Big difference, literally comparing apples & oranges. Johnson can redshirt, spend time in the S&C program, and learn the position. Gerald will be expected to contribute immediately.

We NEED a HS DL in this class badly. I don't like seeing this CB because it tells me we aren't going to get our primary target/s. I hope I'm wrong, but this kid came out of nowhere to get a CB to UF. That's surprising, and a bit disappointing.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,636
    It's the only crystal ball he has and it's from an auburn guy, so I don't know how much stock should be put into that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Matherly87

Ratings Received:
    +2,400
    I know all about Gerald is a JuCo. Actually I see him coming in and redshirting his first year at Florida. We have plenty of DE this year that are juniors so a year off is a win win. Johnson can certainly come in and "learn" the position but Gerald already "knows" the position.
  9. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,325
    If he's in fact quick/fast enough to play LB and big enough to play DE, this is the type of kid that Mullen & Grantham like.

Regarding the level of competition he's faced, realize that Kelvin Taylor played against the weakest of the weak in Florida. You can't necessarily tell from that, although SEC level players must dominate against such competition.

Neither Mullen, nor Grantham are likely to offer kids who can't make it. Unlike Urban Meyer during his first year, they know what is needed to compete in the SEC West, not merely the wimpy SEC East.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,788
    Maybe he's an insurance guy...I assume all can't be known in recruiting. The coaches I would hope know stuff we don't know when making their decisions and evaluation candidates.

The cluster fook left behind after several years of questionable coaching can't be remedied in a few weeks of recruiting-one would think.

BUT...things appear to be improving and we're on our way. Haven't felt this good in a decade.

Go Gators.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,648

I agree on just one CB, but it came out of nowhere. Most of us didn't even have him on the radar as having an offer...or even being recruited, so it's a little surprising. I don't think being "an auburn guy" has much to do with it either. Those guys all follow recruiting as their job and want to be taken seriously. If they put out random CB's they'd probably lose their position w/ 247 to make CB predictions (like the sports writer w/ an AP vote and he ranks Alabama 18th or something ridiculous and doesn't get invited the following year to be an AP voter).
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +14,565
    Our class is almost all 4*'s or better. A 3* with good upside isn't a stretch as long as the coaches have properly scouted him.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. Matherly87

Ratings Received:
    +2,400
    My comment about lower competition was not meant to derive he always plays against weak competition. Just those shown in his video. I know nothing about the district or full schedule they play. I wonder about a prospect when I see plays with no challenges.
    Malscott probably has it right with Johnson a Plan B. I hope we get Quay Walker and all is good.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. bernie_lomax

bernie_lomax GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +497
    With the loss of Jordan smith and likely K Davis this spot, WDE/ rush end in the 3-4, might be in need of a juco. I expect Cece then Clayton and idk who else can play here. Maybe Zuniga.

Anyone know if Zuniga is best suited for this spot or as a down lineman/ SDE?

I think Zuniga would be the determining factor in where you need a juco. If we only have Polite and Z Carter at SDE then a juco + a HS kid would be ideal there. I think the coaches are looking at Chatman for this SDE spot even though he’s listed as a DT.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. minnesotagator

minnesotagator GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +404
    3* DT Caleb Johnson will take an official visit to Florida. (1/19/18)
  16. blkwtr

blkwtr Senior

Ratings Received:
    +93
    Johnson certainly looks like he has potential. Gerald is a must get. Looking hard at Malik Langham. If we could flip, Malcolm Lamar (FSU) would be a nice addition. He could bring his running buddy WR Warren Thompson (FSU) with him.
    Lamar/ Thompson and Barnes/Montilus would make a nice set of duo's.
    • Like Like x 1