3-4 Defense: do we have a NT capable?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by theghost, Feb 19, 2014.

1. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    Franz brings up the question in his "TOTD" today.

Muschamp would prefer to run a 3-4 D...but do we have a NT capable of holding down the middle? I like Cummings and Orr, but they may not be suitable for this type of D. The two freshman have the size, but no experience (the redshirt freshman).

Thoughts on this?
  2. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +147
    The idea that you need two-gap players for a 3-4 is silly. That is based off of most NFL teams doing it, but that is a different game completely. The truth is that in college ball, if your DTs can be singled in a 4-3 youre screwed too (unless you have a Spikes).
  3. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,332
    I'm not sure we have the LB depth to run a 3-4 though, honestly.

We're starting off the preseason with many of our backups injured--and not getting healthy until summer ball. Ideally, if you're changing your defensive base scheme, you want as much time with your players as possible--and we'll be lacking many of our LBers until late summer.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +303
    Do we have the linebackers is the bigger question?
  5. gatorintx2014

gatorintx2014 Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    I think our LBs play run defense well enough that we can run a 3-4. The inside NT doesn't need to be a beast, just enough to clog a hole. I'm really hoping for improved play from our DEs to get some pressure from the outside. It seemed like a huge problem getting any kind of pressure on the QBs last year...
  6. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    I think once the fall rolls around we will. The lack of experience is another issue, but we'll have the bodies.

We were weak in the middle last year once Easly went down. I hope we can develop at least a 4-man rotation at DT. I think we're fine w/ Cummings and Orr, but outside of those two it's a big question mark. I hope those young guys have a good spring (and stay healthy).
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,451
    We run a flex defense now with Buck as a hybrid DE/LB position. To the extent we run a 3-4 the Buck players will be LBs, except on obvious pass downs where you probably see Fowler as a DE.

Anyway - we have plenty of LBs when you count the Bucks - assuming the guys that were injured last year come back healthy... Morrison, Taylor, Ball, MacMillan, Davis, Powell, Anzalone, Rolin, Fowler, McAllister, and Sherrit. That's one short of a three deep for four spots. We would have recruited more LBs if we needed them.

Among Cummings, Orr, Brantley, Bostwick and Holley we'll find guys to play NT. The more athletic guys (maybe Orr?) could also play DE in this scheme, along with Bullard, Cox, Willis, Riles and Ivie.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +823
    I think Holley will be crazy good.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +137
    Once Easley went down, I thought Cummings stepped up his game. He just didn't get a lot of help from the other DTs. Hopefully the RS freshmen are ready to contribute this year.
  10. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,404
    Khairi Clark is closing in on 320lbs. Not bad and looks every part of a NT. Mix in like you said holley Brantley, bostwick with the more experienced cummings and orr all in rotation and we will be fine.

We have some stud LB'S in Jarrad davis, (who can absolutely play sideline to sideline) Alex anzalone, Matt rolin ( who I am constantly hearing good things about.), and Daniel mcmillian. Morrison and taylor will be upperclassmen of that group.

Oh and just so we can all drool at the thought..... Our secondary will make those guys jobs even easier with vh3 and poole, and our incoming beast like tabor, wilson, dawson and jc. Jackson locking down the outside while maye, harris, and neal headhunting over the middle.

I can't speak for everybody but I'm giddy to see what these guys can do together.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    I'm curious to see how good Rolin & Anzalone will be coming off the injuries. What good things have you heard about Rolin, since he's still recovering from the knee surgery? I hope his rehab is coming along well.
  12. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +823
    This is knee injury number 2 at 205 lbs, I hope we get to see him play..
  13. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    We have neither the LB depth nor the true NT to run a proper 4-3. None of our DT's are going to eat up two blocks for the LB's to make plays honestly. Orr and Cummings are good, but not big enough to be the recking ball in the middle most 3-4 defenses have.
  14. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +147
    Our depth chart would look exactly the same just with different alignments. If you don't think we have the LBs to run a 3-4 then you don't think we have them to run a 4-3. Also, you don't need to to run a 2-gap 3-4 (very hard to teach in college). Notice that even bama has big LBs bc they have to take on guards sometimes. Watch the Cowboys from a few years ago with Ratliff (he's smaller than our top 4 DTs).
    • Agree Agree x 1