2019 Recruiting Cycle Needs

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Gator715, Apr 2, 2018.

1. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,566
    Agree Perine likely doesn't leave....unless he leaves as a grad transfer somewhere, for more carries/PT. If Davis comes back healthy, I imagine he and Scarlett get a bulk of the carries. Perine could be a short yard back, as he runs hard. Lemons, until he becomes a more "complete" back, could be the 3rd down back....which leaves Perine w/ a limited role.

I think we see a number of transfers in the next couple of months (after spring practice and the semester ends). These guys will know where they stand on the depth chart and a few of them will move on. It happens every year....and it happens even more so w/ coaching transitions. There were grumbling's in the early winter of one of the TE's wanting to leave, and his name hasn't been mentioned much this spring - so he's one I'm keeping an eye on. Also a few of the DBs and OLs may move on. Long story short, I suspect we have more than 20 spots next year (my guess is 23 or more).
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,598
    That’s who it was. I get why they said it, would be interested how Perine feels about it.

I think more what I was trying to get at (and didn’t even come close to expressing) is that it wouldn’t surprise me if one of those 4 weren’t on the 2019 roster, obviously I hope they all are, so taking 2 next year won't be out of the question.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,553
    I gotcha. Hopefully perine doesn't let it get to him. We need all the playmakers we can get.
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,975
    I'll go ahead and take this back. If we get Sanders we won't need another RB.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,975
    Perine will be lucky to be in the top three this year. Pierce could get most of his carries. He's turning some heads in spring practice.
  6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,438
    If you can’t pick up the blitz most importantly, and then catch passes out of the backfield, you are one dimensional and will not get much playing time moving forward
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,553
    Perine has lost a bunch of weight and has improved his speed. I'm not ruling him out of anything yet.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,182
    Most would say Perine has had the best spring at RB to this point
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,641
    I'd give up a RB for an extra mean OL.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,587
    In two years pierce may be the only one left
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,587
    And a qb or two may leave also. 1 or 2 will never see the field more than likely and I expect at least one to see the writing on the wall shortly.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,227
    There can be little question that the Gators have more than 2 quality RBs. Of course, that is true for most Big Time programs in the country, because Quality RBs are literally a Dime a Dozen, unlike OLine and DLine kids, who, being massive, are far harder to find with speed and the various other required qualities.

I'm not talking about really Superior RBs, who are rare, as are really Superior kids at any position.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,429
    I don't either. There will always be kids that are torn between us and the Holes, but you shouldn't pull their offer just because of that. If they are playing us, say like Dalvin Cook, fine, pull it. Otherwise, hang in there.
  14. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,308
    I do believe versatility is what will ultimately separate the backs, for the most part, on the depth chart. If Perine truly looks as good as I've heard, which I believe... then not much else separates the backs in terms of quality with the ball in their hands... It comes down to being reliable in pass protection and catching the ball out of the backfield... keep the defense on their heels.
  15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,308
    If we successfully recruit Sanders and he ultimately comes here, I'd actually prefer to see Clement switch positions just to avoid transfers. He's an excellent football player.

I also see Perine staying here for his Senior season just because he will probably need more film... So our backfield will be loaded without Clement, again, provided that Sanders comes and nobody leaves apart from Scarlett.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,227
    Lots of excellent points and observations regarding the Gator RB situation. Given that All 4 of the RBs recruited in the past 2 years look like pretty good prospects, 2 RBs for 2019 appears unnecessary given the rather large needs for both quality and numbers of non-upperclass kids in 2019 at DT, WDE/Buck, OLine, WR, and TE.

Unfortunately, Mac's failure to redshirt anyone has created the same sort of issues that Zook, Meyer and Muschamp always created with an overload of kids at one position on or near the 2-deep in one eligibility year: OLine (4 SRs, 3 Jrs); WR (4 Jrs), LB (4 Jrs - admittedly, here there are also 5 Fr), Buck (1 SR, 2 JRs), DT (4 sophs), DB (8 sophs).

Mullen specifically made the point at his recruiting press conference that he prefers to sign 21-23 kids per year across the board by position, rather than loading up at one position one year and having no one the next.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,308
    The last point you made is great... I never thought about it like that... but I'd rather be slightly short on depth one year at one different position group every year, considering that we can have an 85 scholarship roster... than have "unbalanced classes" to have ideal depth one year, and be put in a position where you're forced to take 6 or 7 DBs like we did in the 2017 cycle...