2019 Recruiting Cycle Needs

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Gator715, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,308
    Here are my projections for what we need numbers-wise for the 2019 class:

Offense:

QB- 1
    RB- 1
    WR- 2
    TE- 1 or 2 (no need to take a guy who's a back-up plan, but would prefer 2)
    OL- 4 or 5 (no need to take a guy who's a back-up plan, but would prefer 5)

Defense:

Again, no back-up plans....

DE- 2
    NT- 1
    OLBs- 2
    ILBs- 2
    CB- 3
    S- 1

I feel least confident in predicting how man OLBs we need relative to DEs, because I still don't know which DEs will work, basically like OLBs in a 3-4.... But consider it a zero-sum-game when predicting OLBs versus DEs...
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,642
    Good thread.

QBs- I think two, especially if the 3 star that Urban is also recruiting is our #1 target. We have Franks and Trask for up to 3 seasons but staff would have to decide they are interchangeable(both very good) for us to be comfortable and I doubt the two will be both great and equal. Of course it needs to be two really good prospects, not Jimmy Mac reaches.
    RB- 1 seems right and I hope they show enough run game this season to attract another great one.
    WR- Are we loaded? I see 7 listed on roster so we are waiting on 2 from 18 class to enroll?
    TE- Agree that one good "5 star" TE should be enough.
    OL- 5 very good OL prospects would be great. If only 4 or fewer per cycle with injuries and losses we will never have a solid 12+ on roster. I like our OL class from last cycle but time we get some marquis players. It's kind of like having that Julio Jones guy that helps your other WRs end up open. We need one deep solid side of the OL finally. That might take a couple seasons. FWIW TJ Moore came in at 270 and roster says he's 6'5 305 now and that's after a RS.

DL- Are we deep enough after last year's single DL to only take 3? I would think 5ish if possible.
    LB- 4 sounds good.
    DB- 4 or whatever we need seems fine. Wish staff would land two CBs that make other DCs envious. Too much to ask?

Agree, no backup plans. Hoping for a good season so no need to reach. I admit staff has a big task but if Meyer, Saban, Smart, Richt, and possibly Taggart can all recruit well(excellent) then we need to... have to.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,438
    We need everything, but we must hit on a starting QB, we must get a speed rusher at the DE position, we must get a great OT, and we must get a few 5 stars that have eluded us in the recent pass
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,308
    At receiver, I have:

Massey (only one I'd expect gone after this season apart from, maybe Cleveland), Cleveland, Hammond, Swain, Van Jefferson, Rick Wells, Toney, Grimes, Green, Copeland, and Justin Watkins... Is this list wrong?

With respect to DL, again, it depends on which guys on the roster are going to be playing as linebackers, and which are staying on the DL as 3-4 ends... Either, way, I think we can agree that I'd be happy taking anybody on the front 7 who's an SEC caliber player... we can always use depth there...

I think we are bit short on "true corners," we have some guys with good versatility that can play corner or safety... but we have very few 5'11, 4.4 type corners... I'd like to see that addressed this cycle, JMO...
  5. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,553
    Good post. I agree with most all that you said.

Not to nitpick but if we take 2 QBs 1 of them is a back up plan. IMO

QB- Jalon Jones
    Peter Parrish
    Are both excellent possibilities at qb for us. We won't get both but one of them and one other will do us fine.

2020 QB Harrison Bailey is the #2 rated QB and #9 player in Georgia is a big UF lean.

1-RB- I'm not sure how strongly I feel that Sanders will be a gator even with his brother on board.

? WR- not certain

4 OL- IMO anymore than 4 the 5th will be a big time plan b guy.

1- TE- 4* Keon Zipperer out of lakeland is a top 100 kid and the best TE in Florida will be a gator. (possibly best TE in the nation)

4- Dbs

I think the we land 2 CBs in Davis and Elam. Thatd be a grest haul for us. Several talented options for us at safety.

Would love for us to get involved with 5* Akeem Dent (WPB) He's too good for fsu. Lol

5* Chris Steele St John Bosco (CA) #5 DB said UF is his dream school.

4* CB Kaiir Elam Benjamin School (WPB) 6'1" 182 excellent size. Matt's nephew will be a gator. #13 DB

4* CB Jaden Davis- St thomas Aquinas will be a gator.

4- LBs
    Jamal Abrams 3* out of AL
    The state of Florida is weak at ILB and well most likely have to go out of state for all of them. The state of Michigan has 7-8 ILB ranked in the top 60 and Florida has zero. Lol

OLB- Jaleel McRae 4* (#7 OLB) IMO will be a gator. He was once commited and should be a gator in the end.

Possibly GeMon Eaford 4* Deerfield Beach. #18 OLB

Marcus Tillman Jr. Orlando Jones 3*
    Diamante Howard Miami southwestern 3*

4- DL
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Notoriousgator

Ratings Received:
    +7,553
    At this point Justin Watkins is playing corner. He may be better suited to play D.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,642
    I don't know. some might not be listed on roster yet if not in school.

Because we are stacked?

Because the board not deep enough yet?

Yet he probably ends up there. We need to be involved and hope he's open in case UF looks like a better option to him after the season. You know how important I believe it will be to defeat fsu this year. If Mullen is successful recruits will say "dayum". Hope we find a QB to run the system well.

Some good news.
  8. Notoriousgator

Ratings Received:
    +7,553
  9. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,566
    We already have 4 'back-up' plans committed in Whittemore (#776 overall recruit), White (#720), Marks (#930), and Abrams (#566). Wilson and Weston are barely inside the top 400...so those are about as low as you'd like to get.

Agree w/ @Notoriousgator in needing two QBs, but doubtful it happens. I'd personally like to see us get Jones and then take a kid ranked 800th or so that is a true DT QB - just so we have another body to work with and develop.

We need more than 3 DL's in this class, although some of the OLB's are essentially DL's.

We need CB's badly, so I hope we get at least 3. We already have Whittemore at Safety....although he could grow into a TE or LB.

Zipperer is our TE to lose.

We need no less than 4 OL's.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,169
    First off I like Notes rundown where we are at. Thanks Buddy. That's a good start.
    Second I'm slow playing this year's needs because of our numbers lack. Currently we have 84 on scholly and only 11 seniors. Obviously we will have more than 12 open to sign but much depends on who leaves and who transfers out. Some of the commitments we have now may drop off if we get higher ranked players wanting in like at WR. I hope we have 20 total to sign but that would mean more than normal transfer out. So I'm slow playing it until we see which positions have the most openings. Right now our biggest need is OL since half of our seniors are O linemen.
  11. gjgator

gjgator Sophomore

Ratings Received:
    +28
    To add to WR board, looks like we’ve had visits and interest from Frank Ladson, John Dunmore and Mycah Pittman.
    Ladson- saw were Mullen told him he was our #1 WR target, battling Clemson and Miami for him
    Dunmore- thought to be an FSU lean but recent talk about him trending back our way.
    Pittman- #9 WR from California, called us his leader after his March 17th visit. CB’s have him 86% to us, would be a huge pull for Mullen.

Not sure how many we plan on taking or how things will unfold but looks like we’ve got a real good shot with Dunmore and Pittman, as of now
  12. Matherly87

Ratings Received:
    +2,169
    Don't forget about Maurice Goolsby as well. Currently he is the 4th rated WR in Florida. I'm continuing to track him even after his decommitment. He is a big local kid around here and everything I'm hearing is we are still in it. He already plays great in the spread and at 6-5 200 lbs is what Mullen is looking for.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,182
    Uf doesn't seem all that interested at present. I'm sure they will monitor him, but it seems backburner at the moment
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,566
    He's 100% CB'd to FSU....which sucks. 6'5 WR? Hell yes! Hopefully we can get back in on him. I'm thinking we take no less than 3 WR's in the class.
  15. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,642
    Out loud.
  16. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,182
    Again, I've seen no evidence this staff wants him at this point. There' been a lot if names at wr that have visited, or coaches have been to their school. He isn't one of them
  17. 15gator05

15gator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,924
    I wouldn’t consider Bailey a UF lean at all. He hasn’t visited since the new staff took over
  18. Notoriousgator

Ratings Received:
    +7,553
    Maybe so but not too long ago (3 weeks maybe) I read an article with him saying he still favors UF and uga is still in consideration.
  19. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,841
    Are any of them named David Reese?
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Matherly87

Ratings Received:
    +2,169
    Give it time. If he hasn't committed anywhere this summer then he will be watching to see how UF and FSU show the fall.