2018 Gator Early ENROLLMENT. DB Randy Russell 5-11 180. Carol City HS, Miami Gardens FL.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by pcgator, Jun 6, 2017.

1. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,952
    Yep. Like the sweet job we gave VH3's sister when he signed with us. She's now working for Muschamp, again, at South Carolina.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,811
    Screenshot_2017-06-07-17-40-42.png
    CJ smith was the first one to tweet about Russells decommittment. He looks like he's ready for randy to join him. I also believe T. Johnson will play CB as he's starting to get the Quincy Wilson treatment about him being a safety vs a CB just because of his size. he's the same size quincy was in HS.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,811
    damn coach you beat me to it...... like yesterday. :(
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. ltraz

ltraz GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +3,834
    He's a very solid player and it doesn't hurt that most schools would love to add a player from carol city. I'm definitely not saying he's bad or not D1 material. Probably even a starter as a strong safety in the right system. Would have been a good addition to our class 2 years ago. I just think UF is DBU and Burney and Smith are the type to continue that. Hence their rankings. 20 pounds isn't hard if you have the frame for it. Not sure he does without losing a step, but even if he could add 20#, that still puts him as a smallish safety who's proposed strength is hitting. I don't see any 200# safety destroying many SEC RBs (and Russell does go too high in his film multiple times) so then what does he really bring?
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,195
    I love this thread.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. hypatia

hypatia All American

Ratings Received:
    +386
    Well, according to 247 offer lists, he is about the lowest rated Safety among the Gator's offers. Of course, those lists frequently don't reflect the Gator Coaches/Recruiter's boards.

Since he's only 5'10/11" and is not built like a middle guard (NT today), it isn't very likely he will be able to get to 215 lbs or so without losing enough speed that he won't match up well.
  7. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,914
    Itraz, brother...Not for nothing but how big do you think our Safeties should be? Heres a short list of some pretty good safeties that played around or below 200 lbs. Alot of the names below could really put a lickin on SEC RBs.

Major Wright was 5'11" 200
    Ahmad Black was 5'9" 190 (soaking wet)
    Reggie Nelson was 6'1" 193
    Tony Joiner was 6' 208
    Dorian Munroe was 5'11" 200
    Josh Evans was 185 lbs
    Will Hill was 202 lbs
    Jaylen Watkins was 187 lbs
    Jabari Gorman was 183 lbs
    Matt Elam was 206 and he was a missle out there
    Pop Saunders was 192 lbs
    Lawrence Wright was 205 lbs
    Shea Showers was 184 lbs
    Etc.....

I understand that it may be difficult for Randy to gain that much weight and still be able to move but its not impossible. I dont believe he needs to get up to 200. Well see!! ;)
  8. ltraz

ltraz GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +3,834
    It's not that he needs to be that huge. It's that at this point he's really only shown he's a hitter so he would either need to be big enough to do that in the SEC or completely change his game. A number of guys you listed above had significant other strengths. RFN had the athleticism to play cb (started at nickel when he got here) and the physicality to be a stud lb in hs. Elam was a bull. Major was a missile, but even he would have trouble in today's game. Hill is an absolute freak athlete with great range. I already mentioned the football IQ of Black and even he needed to be protected by the system. We didn't protect a somewhat similar player in Gorman and it showed when a guy like kiffen knew he couldn't be in a cover-1. I liked Gorman, but he's not a starter on a dominant D.

Again, I don't want this to look like I'm I'm calling Russell a bad player. I just think his highlight tape shows less to be excited about (coaches could have seen stuff not on his film) and raises numerous questions. I still would have taken him in each of our last two classes. I just wouldn't take him this year, bc I think Burney and Smith are studs and we don't need 3. If we are taking 3 safeties, it seems like it's bc 1) RS doesn't like at least one guy we recruited last year 2) He just thinks everyone from miami is awesome (which everyone from miami thinks) or 3) we're going so zone-heavy that we're going to load up there, which is a whole different issue.
  9. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,914
    I hear you. And I agree completely that Burney and Smith are complete studs. Were fortunate to have these 2 committed. Hopefully they stay healthy during their Sr seasons and steadily improve.

We really do have some talent lined up in our defensive backfield.
  10. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +9,318
    It won't be difficult kids 180 now, he is plenty big that's not the issue.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +9,318
    Itrax, hitting is much more about heart and technique than size, Reggie Nelson was the most violent we had since Louie and Jarvis. He was 190. I played with lots of kids 170 pounds that would put your lihjts out.
  12. ltraz

ltraz GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +3,834
    Reggie was actually the best hitter i ever played with weighing around 170#. He's obviously a special talent though. In college he was a big hitter bc he covered crazy ground and bc he was always playing that single high. That got him to defenseless WRs at a dead sprint. Not sure he ever put a big hit on a rb in college. And that's a guy that was a monster LB in hs. Russell would be big enough if he projected as a FS like Reggie, but nothing in his tape shows that. It actually shows that he's prob not that.
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,578
    I also wonder now, is he a take considering the Williams commit? At some point, you quit taking DB's.
  14. ltraz

ltraz GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +3,834
    One would think not. But then again, no one really knows much about RS or what our scheme will be. Could be transitioning to a 4-2 (Not a nickel), which would explain the numbers and type of players.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +187
  16. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,211
    Gator
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +187
  18. gnvgator

gnvgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,458
  19. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,944
    Need to watch him play a game or two. Very very good instincts, tough, and excels against competition.
    This is a young man that plays against very talented players every week. When you play big school (6A-8A) football in the state of Florida and in THE Miami area and you stand out!!! Your a player.
    He'll carry 185-190 fine and he will be a very good addition. Just seems to play much bigger. Hits like he is 205.
  20. ultragator

ultragator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +758
    Man you really called CJ's decommitment over a month ago. Your source was right on the money even though at the time it looked like he was actively recruiting other players to come here. I wonder what was up?
    • Agree Agree x 1