2016 NASCAR Race Schedules and Winners. .

Discussion in 'Men's Gator Sports!' started by RayGator, Jan 22, 2016.

1. thegator92

thegator92 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,499
    The writing was on the wall from the first, when they took races away from places like Rockingham and North Wilkesboro to put them on huge boring tracks across the country. If they were going to get away from their roots, they really needed to provide new fans a reason why they were different. Somebody alluded to it already, but when drivers were no longer regular guys you could have a beer with and became pampered young prima donnas who acted like movie stars, well, there's nothing to connect to. Not even the cars, they bear zero resemblance to "stock cars" anymore, and brand loyalty is dead.

I don't know if it was ever going to be a long-lasting sport like baseball, but the bigwigs are certainly killing it fast.
  2. G8RByte

G8RByte Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,766
    I love seeing it on person, usually going to one of the races in Daytona (like the ARCA series) every year. The kids (all 4) get in free and the staff at the track is always beyond helpful and accommodating. They get how to treat fans. I think the restrictions plates have hurt in my limited knowleged.
  3. ohktr

ohktr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +275
    I tend to agree with the general consensus here that big business has hurt the sport and the fans have become secondary. Kind of reminds me of the major national non-profit I work for, but that`s another rant. One of the big tracks that is not cookie-cutter is Pocono. It`s 2 miles with only 3 turns, 2 long straightaways and 1 shortshoot. It was built for Indy cars but has become a unique layout for Nascar.
  4. brimme

brimme Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +413
    Blah Blah Blah, many of you didn't know the sport then and certainly don't know it now!!! Yes the founding (France) family's kids have screwed the pooch. And the ole blue collared, redneck southerners that were so instrumental to the regional success of the sport would have spent a life's earning (not savings) to build just one of the modern "all equal, unisex, PC" cars. The current crop of drivers are deep pocketed($$) mercenaries that sell themselves to the highest bidder (little e), with little or no interest in protecting nor prolonging the sport. Drivers use to be independent but are now highly paid team members for owners who are providing a rolling billboard of advertising. When DuPont entered into sponsorship and won their first championship with jeffey, the CEO stated at the annual awards dinner that DuPont had never had the return on their sponsorship advertising $$ from any other sporting opportunity as NASCAR . Pigs get fat and the HAWGS get slaughtered is not only true on Wall Street but in racing as well. I consider myself a short track purist looking for a different winner each Friday or Saturday night. Ole school racing carried an adage " if you ain't cheatin you aint racing, you're just ridin." Too bad nobody likes to watch spoiled sniveling brats ridin for three and four hour shows. If you want to see and be entertained by driver or fans, find a local short track show and have a go. I have seen great shows from Hialeah, to Samsula, to Lake City to Pensacola just in Florida. and I guarantee you can get up close and personal with the drivers and team members for a whole lot less money than an NASCAR event. Been racin long and hope to keep racin strong.
  5. PD

PD GC Columnist VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +48,147
    So, uh....was that good for you?
  6. gatormatt75

gatormatt75 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,740
    I so agree about Dale Sr. I grew up a Davey Allison fan and my dislike for Dale Sr at the time was on a FSU level. When Davey passed in 1992 I lost a lot of interest in the sport because of that. When Dale Jr started racing in the Busch series I started pulling for him because he was the anti Dale Sr. At the time Sr was still alive and Jr was like me. He listened to the same music I did and his fans were the opposite of Sr fans. In 2001 that all changed and the majority of the old southern Earnhardt fans switched to Jr. I'm a diehard Jr fan but I'm a huge Chase Elliott and Denny Hamlin fan as well.

Kyle Busch and Carl Edwards are good guys. Kyle and Carl does more for their fans than any drivers out there. Toyota has done an outstanding job of getting the fan friendly drivers.

Richmond this weekend is the perfect example of a track doing it right. Being old school you remember the old Richmond fairgrounds track from the 80's. Flat 1/2 mile oval with guardrail as the outside wall. When they rebuilt Richmond they built the perfect track for cup cars. It's fast and big enough that it has multiple grooves but slow enough that aero is almost a non factor. It's great racing all race long. If just a couple of the 1.5 miles would switch to a Richmond, Martinsville, Bristol, or even copy New Smyrna Speedway the racing would improve and more fans would get involved. The tempers flaring and bumping and banging is what draws the younger fans. The sport needs more of those tracks. If

Wilkesboro had so many of those moments every year. That's the track I miss the most but it was too much like Martinsville. If NASCAR expands to another big market then they really need to look at building a track like New Smyrna or Lakeland but with the facilities of Daytona. Combine a major TV market with short track racing and the best facilities it would be a huge boost to the sport. The bumping and banging would make for an exciting race to draw the crowds to return. Short tracks are louder and the fans are a lot closer to everything as well which would draw the crowds as well.

That's Bristol's main problem right now. Bruton changed the track to improve what was already a perfect venue and changed the racing there. He knows it was a mistake that's why they ground the top groove a few years back to try and get the cars around the bottom again. They advertised it as "Old Bristol was back". The grinding gave the top groove more grip than the bottom so the problem still exists. The only way to fix it is to rebuild the corners to 36° like it used to be and get the groove back to the bottom. If they want Bristol to be packed again it's the only solution.
  7. PD

PD GC Columnist VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +48,147
    @gatormatt75 , you just dropped a lot of memory lane stuff there. Davey was a great driver and person from one of the first families of racing. Made me remember that it wasn't just Adam's death that sapped my interest in racing. It was Adam - who had all the talent and desire that his grandpa did but his father didn't - and Davey and Clifford and Alan and Tim. Basically my 5 favorite drivers after the old guard retired all died in pretty rapid succession.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  8. gatorace

gatorace VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,891
    One of the most exciting races I ever watched. I attended my first Daytona 500 in the early 80's and like you I lost a lot of interest after Dale's passing.
    I used to love the All Star race, as well as Daytona and Talladega, now I may catch 1 race a year on DVR.
  9. FloridaGator80

FloridaGator80 of the Gator Nation VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,579
    Wow. Local drags in my youth -- Miami-Hollywood Speedway in South Florida. Back when a funny car near 7 seconds was outstanding and the nitro engines shook every single internal organ (even when you were standing 100 feet away). Thanks for the nudge to go down memory lane (one-quarter mile at a time!) :)
  10. DBCooper

DBCooper Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,770
    IMO, NASCAR killed their roots when they decided to take the Wall Street route instead of Main Street. The multi-car teams, Toyota's $'s, vanilla personality drivers and a complete lack of auto identity have led to empty seats at nearly every track.
  11. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930

Absolutely correct on all points. I had a conversation with Curtis Grey (president of Homestead Motorspeedway at the time) back in '98. I told him then that if they contined to go in the direction they were headed, they would disenfranchise their bedrock fans. This seems to he exacltly what has happened. I was a long time NASCAR fan but I hwvent watched a race in well over 10 years
  12. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,450
    The past three years, the spring race has been hampered by rain. A lot of people are starting to skip that race.
  13. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,970
    USA TODAY Snapshots 4.29.16

Hamlin Homecoming.

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Wins By Denny Hamlin. Most By Any Driver From Virginia.

Note: NASCAR Races At Richmond International Raceway This Weekend.

Source: NASCAR.
  14. romeg8r

romeg8r VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +17,024
    Bristol used to be my second favorite track after Daytona.
  15. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,970
    Don't know or understand all the NASCAR rules. But today the Xfinity race at Talladega at a strange ending. Went in to overtime. Last regular lap Joey Logano was leading but car got wrecked. Then in OT at first they said #48. Brennan Poole had the win. Then as he was getting ready to go to victory lane, whatever, It was said the winner was #1. Elliott Sadler. Confusing to me. Couldn't help but think that Brennan got screwed in this.
  16. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,970
    I think I do. I just can't remember the exact details. You certainly have posted a lot of great stuff on here over the years. You seem to know more about NASCAR and auto racing in general than anyone else ever have posted on here. Certainly far more than I do, that's for sure! I'm glad you're on here.
  17. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,970
    USA TODAY Snapshots 5.5.16

Rolling Into Kansas.

Bowling Pins It Woukd Take To Line Kansas Speedway's Finish Line, Including The Apron, For Saturday Night's Go Bowling 400.

Sources: Kansas Speedway and NASCAR.
  18. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,970
    USA TODAY Snapshots 9.9.2016

Triple-Figure Track.

Tracks have held more than 100 Sprint Cup Series Races.

Richmond Inernational Raceway has hosted the 3rd most with 120.

Note: Richmond is scheduled to host its 121st Cup Race on Sept. 10th.

Source: NASCAR. [/B]
  19. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,970
    USA TODAY Snapshots 9.29.2016

Anyone's Race?

Active Drivers Who Have Won A Sprint Cup Race At Dover International Speedway.

Includes 5 time Winner, Jeff Gordon, who will drive this weekend for Dale Earnhardt Jr., who is recovering from concussion symptoms.

20. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,970
    USA TODAY Snapshots 10.20.16.

58.3% of the previous Chase for the Sprint Cup races (7 of 12) held at Talledaga Superspeedway have ended endured caution.

Note: 2005 2006 2009 2010 2012 2013 2015.