2016 NASCAR Race Schedules and Winners. .

Discussion in 'Men's Gator Sports!' started by RayGator, Jan 22, 2016.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gator Tail Pub Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +45,201
    Attended my first Daytona 500 in Feb of 1964 and never missed until 1981- my wife and I have been to the night race at Bristol in August of 2010 plus the Firecracker 400 in July and agree they have some issues to solve
    1- cost to attend
    2- races are. Too long
    3- the idea that they need to make all things equal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,118
    Awesome. Absolutely freaking awesome.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,118
    [​IMG]
  4. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,613
    Having attended several NASCAR races I think most of the previously mentioned stereotypical descriptions of the fans is in accurate.

Are there hard-working blue collar Southerners in attendance? Sure, but ther are also a large number of professionals there. SOS & his coaching staff were big NASCAR fans.

I think the decline is due to trying to be too PC & making the cars exactly the same.

NASCAR turned its back on its core fan base & has earned the empty seats. I won't go back to Daytona because they have built so many buildings in the infield you can't see across the track unless you are 50 or more rows up
  5. SOS316

SOS316 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +739
    I wish they would develop cars that run on Unicorn farts and shot rainbows from the exhaust pipes. Attendance would go through the roof!
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,089
    NASCAR misses this...

While a biased Earnhardt guy. This is just great Entertainment!
  7. flash2909

flash2909 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,588
    Nascars been in trouble. Ever since the pushed the bullies out and put the pretty boys in the viewership and attendance has dropped tremendously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,756
    making all the cars equal make it boring, not enough real racing, just turning laps and the car with the best tweak to their setup that week usually wins. not enough racing/lead changes, too much uniformity
  9. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +17,146
    LOL.....politically correct nascar
  10. gatormatt75

gatormatt75 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,739
    A lot of people quit going to Bristol after they put in the progressive banking and the cars started running the top. It's not the same Bristol it used to be. Bristol was a shock today. That was the smallest crowd of the year. Bruton better grind that track back to its old configuration quick or attendance is going to get worse.

NASCAR's biggest issue right now is the 1.5 mile tracks, Pocono, Indy, Michigan, and Cali are all the same race in a different state. The 1.5 mile tracks have killed the fan interest. If you notice NASCAR keeps changing the cars to improve racing. It's not the cars, it's the tracks.

The best races of the year are Daytona, Talladega, Richmond, Phoenix, Martinsville, Bristol (old configuration), New Hampshire, and the road courses. That's 16 races out of 36 that's good racing. The other 20 are background noise while you nap.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,798
    spot on about all the 1.5 cookie-cutter tracks, like baseball in the 1980s, all the same astroturf stadiums gave no real home field advantage. racers who ran different tracks over the years got to know all the little details, like when the Celtics played in the old boston garden, they knew all the dead spots on the floor.
  12. PD

PD GC Columnist VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +48,147
    Pretty much all sports are going through the same attendance issues and losing through the advanced TV coverage.

Wouldn't base it on just Bristol. That's always just been one of those wierd cereal bowl tracks where they do night racing. Not many would much care if it was disappeared from the slate like North Wilkesboro and other short tracks in microscopic markets. People come from all over the word to Daytona, Indianapolis, Charlotte, even Talladega...nobody wants to spend the night in Bristol TN.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  13. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +17,146
    First thing I thought of when I read the OP.
  14. gatormatt75

gatormatt75 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,739
    For a lot of years prior to the reconfiguration to progressive banking Bristol was the hardest ticket to get in NASCAR. The night race was almost impossible to get seats for. When it was reconfigured the cars moved to the top groove eliminating the bump and run that made Bristol so exciting. Indy is the worst race there is in NASCAR. The elimination of the short tracks like NW is what's killing the sport. If Auto Club Speedway (California) would have built a short track instead of a mini Michigan the on track product would be much better. The same goes for Chicago, Kentucky, Kansas, and Texas.

Watch the truck race at Eldora this year. 1/2 mile dirt track in BFE but it will be the best NASCAR race of the year. The tracks larger than 1 mile except Daytona and Talladega produce boring races. During the late 90's when all those tracks were built everyone said wait till the asphalt gets old then the racing will improve. It never happened. The only thing that happened was the tires wear out faster. The big markets got a race alright but the fans in those markets are rewarded with an inferior product because NASCAR and the track owners didn't build short tracks. Atlanta, Vegas, Texas, Homestead, Chicagoland, Kansas, Kentucky, Charlotte, California, Pocono, Indy, and Michigan are all the same race. The same 3-4 drivers will win and lead almost every lap at those tracks. Very shitty racing, Indy in particular is horrible for Cup cars.
  15. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,947
    USA TODAY Snapshots 4.7.16.

Taking The Lead!

31.8%.

Percentage Of Laps Led By Jimmie Johnson During The Last 7 Texas Motor Speedway Races, 5 Of Which Resulted In Johnson Victories.

Source: Texas Motor Speedway.
  16. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,947
  17. ufgator84

ufgator84 Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +15,792
    Is that you, jhbyrd? :D
  18. Gatorduq

Gatorduq VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +621
    I think what has happened to NASCAR is a cautionary tale for many, if not all sports. There WILL be change, how do the governing bodies deal with that change? There was the perfect storm of the previously mentioned recession, the COTF, the tracks, trying to expand nationally and leaving your biggest core fans in the south, the irony of huge TV money, and perhaps a feeling that the huge growth in the 90's would go on forever.

Television has provided huge sums of money, but in so many instances, it has created a distance between the fans and the (in this case) drivers that didn't previously exist. If I'm not mistaken that was one of the attractions, the ability for the fans to get literally up close and personal with their favorite driver that was a regular guy. Now the drivers are all big money people that have their corporate sponsors handle them like rock stars and the distance grows from the base fan.

I've said in other threads on similar topics, that football could be facing the same type of storm. The concussion issue, the increasing corporate money pushing out the individual fan, coaches closing access to media and fans, and again section HD..... soon to be section 4K.
  19. PD

PD GC Columnist VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +48,147
    Yeah I agree with most of that. I was just describing what I think your average NASCAR fan's perspective is. It's just anecdotal, but having grown up in Daytona, I know all about the tough tickets, and I got a lot of interaction with traveling NASCAR fans. As many remember, there was no TV…ever. And back then, only Bristol and Nashville had night races. And all across the south, listening to a scratchy radio signal in the middle of the night (because they were always on a.m., which doesn't work at night) was little more than a major frustration to most NASCAR fans.

At least that was my perception, and certainly that was my experience.

And as an old-school Richard Petty guy, I deeply lament the loss of character the sport has withstood by losing tracks like North Wilkesboro. And I am equally miffed at why certain tracks were added, such as the ones you've mentioned. I actually like Michigan and Pocono, but I liked them back when they were in the minority. As you mentioned, there are now way too many cookie-cutter copies.

I don't know if it's really killed the sport however. It's definitely changed of the Fanbase a lot. Which has helped bring an influx of money, however it also has watered down the loyalty and the fan understanding of the sport's roots…which was always integral to understanding and appreciating the sport. It's all of these changes that made me go from diehard fan of NASCAR to someone who could care less if the sport even existed anymore. But I'm very old-school, and most of the fans are new school or they're old school who have adapted and maybe are not happy about the changes, but they still follow the sport with some fervor.

Though admittedly, I had other reasons for leaving the sport as well. Adam's death along with the new breed of drivers, most of whom seem to be nothing more than spoiled sniveling brats who never put in the work and paid their dues like the great drivers of past generations, really sapped a lot of enjoyment for me. And the mass idolatry of Dale Earnhardt really turned me off to everything in the sport. He was the most unapologetically dirty racecar driver I have ever seen in my life. That almost the entire Fanbase would so unconditionally embrace and genuflect to someone I considered a complete scumbag, really planted a permanent bad taste in my mouth for the sport and all of its fans.
  20. lloydperkins53

lloydperkins53 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,163
    I agree with those that say "TV Contracts have changed all sporting events" You can sit on your deck/patio with your friends.....drink all that you want with no consequences as long as you are on your own property.....grill your own food which will be better than anything you can buy at the venue.....watch the sporting event on a 60" (or bigger) flat screen in HDTV....only have to walk a few feet to a bathroom and no long drive after you have finished the event.....