2015 WR Tristan Payton 6-1 180 of First Coast HS, Jacksonville FL.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Diesel350z, Feb 24, 2014.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +779
    Until this year, every class we've signed over about 20 years has been mostly four star prospects. "Lower rated kids" will no doubt be part of the mix, but when they become the majority of your class, it means your program is on the skids. No we don't sub-contract our evaluations to the recruiting services, but by December or so, they're pretty much in line with each other.

My concern is that we have taken two WRs and neither are obviously elite talent. It's a small concern, but we need to get some momentum going with higher visibility prospects. There are three or four five star prospects that are hard leans to UF. How well we do down the line might be determined by how many of them commit early and choose to stick.

Regarding the WR position, we are obviously depending on Campbell since every other top in-state WR is leaning to another school and doesn't even list UF as a possibility. I think we need to hold off on any more WRs. We just signed an entire class of three or low four star prospects. They might turn out great, but we need to make some noise.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +698
    according to Gatorsports, Part of why he's unrated is last year was his first year playing WR
  3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    Travis Rudolph best trait was his precise route running and his attention to the little things. Physical measurables were better in other WR but it was his technical skills that propelled him from a 3* to a 5* and #1 WR.

Early rankings are often based off such physical measurables ( size, speed etc.) and their perceived ceiling.

Wes welker made a hall of fame career off his "route running"
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    Getting these guys will not hurt our chances with the "elite " wr. Since most big time WR wait till the end of the process it's wise we don't put all our eggs in one basket. These guys will complement guys like george Campbell and Calvin ridley not scare them off.

And truthfully finding out that payton has only played 1 yr at WR is promising because he will only get better. If Roper thinks this guys will excel in his offense, I'm trusting him because he has to be giddy with the talent he can now work with to run his offense.

Also, though there are not many harvin in the world, he wasn't a prototypical WR either, he was GREAT in space with the ball in his hands. The spread offense utilizes guys ability to make plays by getting them the ball in advantageous situations.
  5. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    Do you honestly thinks our coaches, regardless of how you feel about them, are recruiting "bums" regardless of the star ranking? These coaches champ, b. White, d.lew, t-rob, etc. Have forgotten more about football than most of us have ever known. And they can tell a baller when they see one. But like not all 5* work out, not all "reaches" are bust either. It's a 2 - way street.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    gator n sc: I agree with your logic... but only to a certain degree.
    Sure, not all 5*s work out... but playing the percentages... MOST do.
    Needless to says, over the years, Florida has had its share of 3* players who have worked out tremendously.
    Lee McGriff from Tampa back in the early 70's is a prime example. 5' 7" and about 165lbs....soaking well.
    (He was 128 lbs in junior high...soaking wet.)

He was not even offered a scholarship. He walked on and then, earned one.
    Later, he became All-SEC and went on to play for the Dallas Cowboys.
    His son, Travis... was not your All-World either. Faster than his father, he went to have a fantastic career as a Gator.
  7. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +896
    I am surprised we offered and took this early. If his film was great I guess I would understand. His offer list at this point seems a little light but same caliber schools that had offered Farrier at this point.
  8. docspor

docspor Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    I agree. There is a lot of asymmetric risk. From our standpoint the commitment is pretty damn binding, from his it is total cheap talk. He could become a 5* & bolt or a bust & stay. Big risks should be taken only when there's a chance a big reward.
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    The one thing I hope these early 3 star guys have is speed, speed, and more speed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorintx2014

gatorintx2014 Member

Ratings Received:
    +60
    I'm glad we're recruiting some guys with some length and good route running skills. If he adds a few pounds he would make a good slot receiver for those in routes and curls.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    Does Coach Roper understand he is at Florida and not Duke? He doesn't have to battle Wake Forest and East Carolina on kids.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. 32250Gator

32250Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +123
    Jax is loaded with talent this year. Making a strong early push for these Jax kids could pay huge benefits if a group of them decide they want to play together. Very similar to 2013 when we got McMillan, Washington, & Fulwood. First Coast produces a lot of talented players, and is usually a pipeline to FSU, anytime we can get a player to commit to UF from there it is a big win.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    Farrior I believe ran a 4.47 not to shabby
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    He's really not small. I believe payton is 6'1 180 as a junior. And he looks very strong. In comparison ermon lane was 6'2 (Counting his dreads) and only about 175 as a senior.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  15. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    Treon harris was a top 100 player nationally, # 3 dual threat QB and was committed to the national champs. He was Roper's first offer. I'm pretty sure roper knows where he is at.

These guys we are getting are compliment players. Deondre Farrior is a speed guy with a 4.47 40. Payton hasn't Been ranked yet so we can't judge him on that but his film looks good. Max preps actually list him as 6'3 175 , GC has him as 6'1 180, either way decent size who avg . 17+ yards per catch and nearly 20 yards per rush. Your not going to get 5 george Campbells or Calvin ridley in one class, and you won't get many elite players committing early anymore. These guys will fit nicely in the spread and won't scare away the "top" guys at the position we are targeting. And of course you don't want to wait till NSD to fill you need at the position.

Oh and there is also the added benefit of getting into those Jax area schools. It can only improve our chances with some of their teammates who we covet, like Payton's teammate Sherrod pittman and Trinity's K. Tolliver II, Jeffrey holland, and others who are our S commit williams teammates.
  16. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    Let me clarify big Dee - I love highly ranked players. And I'm sure our staff will never stop pursuing those guys, but I just don't see the need to criticize these kids based off a rating that is so fluid in its approach. Kids develop at different rates, and a lot depends on factors outside their control, like their hs coaches, the type of system that program runs, the talent around him, the competition they have faced, the time at a particular position since you play both ways in HS (off. & def.)facilities like film rooms and advanced S&C programs.

Some high schools are like a college when it comes to those things, and some high schools are lucky to even gave visiting side bleachers. When these kids get to college and can focus on a particular position with a designated position coach, while developing in state of the art weight and film rooms that's when you see what kind of player they are.

And your right about playing the percentages on highly ranked players but that depends on what you consider "working out". Considering there are usually around 15 5* each year I would consider that "elite" on the HS level and many of them end up having "solid" college careers. But to me if someone comes out of HS as a elite player but has just a solid or decent career to me that's not living up to their hype so to speak.

Percy harvin, Tim tebow, reggie bush, CJ spiller(sorta) jameis winston, Jadeveon clowney, and others who were elite coming out of HS and elite throughout their college days are who I consider elite players.

If you are a top 15 player on NSD but barely a top 100 player in your graduation class heading to the draft, then to me that player has taken a step back or not lived up to the hype and was surpassed by players who were initially rated lower coming into college. In that sense those 5* stars don't pan out as often and maybe they were or should have been a 4 or high 3 * instead.:)
  17. xUFxGators

xUFxGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Unfortunately, pretty sure we are out of it for Tolliver. From what I've been seeing on twitter we stopped recruiting him and also I've read the few other schools he's interested in and no mention of UF. So I think that ship has sailed barring something drastic.
  18. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    I read that too about 2 or 3 weeks ago, but I seen he was quoted as saying he had just spoke to our coaches again about a week ago or so.

And when you have "The Flipper" on our side where 8 of our last 9 commits were flips, and nearly half of our whole class were flips I never Count us out, especially with DB'S. :)
  19. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    Don't feed the troll, dude.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. oakgator

oakgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    So what is your conclusion: we are already desperate?