2015 Mock Class

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by vader6063, Jul 11, 2014.

1. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +637
    I think you are underating the importance of an IPF. It is an arms race and we are on of the few that do not have that. Im telling you it is big not only in recruiting but other things. But i guess you can keep whistling thru the cemetery.
  2. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +546
    We do have the money, we just are currently spending it elsewhere, and probably more wisely. If FSU found the money to build one, then certainly we can too. I agree that the lack of an IPF doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but I am also not an 18 year old football prodigy. Given the fickle nature of recruiting these days, it's hard to know for sure what impacts their decisions. Why have all/most of our competitors built them if they don't offer any ROI with recruits or avoiding missed practices? I suspect that if this were to become a big deal and start to impact our ability to compete, then Foley would find a way to address it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    He camped at FSU for 3 days so he must have really liked what he had seen. He's young at 16 so he will redshirt his freshman yr and not have an immediate impact.
  4. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +546
    I was hoping he would be our Ivey to Auburn insurance policy....too bad.
  5. Gator1865

Gator1865 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    Name a recruit we missed out because we didn't have an IPF? You are acting like our facilities are terrible? Kids care about how they will live and be throughout their years at school. If you give a kid a really nice dorm with an athletic center that has tutors, great dining facilities, etc., then he won't care about where he practices while its raining.

I am not underrating the importance of an IPF, with a good season we are in line to have a top 3 class? We have consistently had top 5 classes. Guess we are just finding the 20-25 kids who don't care about it?
  6. Gator1865

Gator1865 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    Could we come up with the money? Probably. But you are taking about many of millions of dollars. It doesn't just appear. There have to be big capital campaigns for things like this to occur, and you have to tell the big boosters why we need an IPF. What are the reasons? Because FSU has one? Doesn't seem like a reason that someone with millions of dollars is okay with.
  7. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +546
    Well, more like FSU, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Clemson, Virginia, NC State, and virtually every other school of our size and stature. I would imagine that we could glean some reasons from their booster campaigns as justification. As I said, I am not as gung ho as others saying we definitely need to have one, but clearly these facilities are worth it to some extent or they wouldn't be as prevalent/commonplace as they now are.
  8. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +517
    I don't know about all of those other schools, but NC State is demolishing part of their parking lot for their indoor practice facility, which a lot of boosters were not even happy about because they're losing their tailgating/parking spots. The total cost for this facility is $14M, which is pretty average for indoor facilities. I think I read somewhere that F$U's was like $15M. Also, NC State's facility is not strictly for football. They're also discussing putting a track inside of it and making it large enough for soccer to use as well.

On the other hand, for Florida to raise $15-20M is not a big stretch at all. Between big time donors, sponsorships, and revenue from the new SEC Network this year. We should be making well over the necessary amount for a new facility, along with a new O Dome and maintenance of our current facilities. (As a side note, we spent over $110M in 2012 on our athletic facilities, an extra $15M is pocket change.)

I know that is just one school out of the 14 or 15 you listed, I'm just very familiar with it. Also, I agree that we could use one, I'm just trying to play devil's advocate a little, and give a little factual evidence for the argument of both sides :)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    Well I think George Brown will take Bello spot and Ivey will be icing on the cake. Brown announces on the 25th

Attached Files:

10. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,937
    It's so overrated that urban does the same camp on the same night in Columbus!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,001
    Do we know objectively what an IPF is worth in recruiting?

Or what other program issues mean the most to recruits that are causing us to lose recruiting battles?

Unless we know the answers to those questions, it wouldn't seem wise to toss 8 figure solutions at problems that may not exist.
  12. irongator9

irongator9 Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    Interesting discussion regarding the IPF.

My feeling is that attempting to rationalize it is the wrong approach. We all know it's a crazy arms race, but that's the nature of our league. If we're going to be serious about competing at the highest level of the SEC, then we probably should re-examine our traditionally conservative stance toward a lot of this nonsense because a lot of our rivals aren't going to slow down.

It's no longer a matter of making standard upgrades. Cold baths now have waterfalls. Weight rooms have state of the art sound systems so players can bump their favorite tunes while working out. Coaches want IPF's so they can be more insulated and more tightly control team operations. Study halls and rec centers require more and more technological enhancements, etc. You've got to make the upgrade, but then also make it "pop" and resonate throughout media outlets, social media, etc (which more or less implies it will have to push the envelope one step further than what anyone else has done).

It's basically "how far down the rabbit hole do we want to go?" The power brokers at UF have always taken the stance that "we're Florida - we have tons of in state talent and the program sells itself." I don't know if this can be taken for granted anymore. I feel like Nick Saban has changed the game and it seems like LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, and even Tennessee have been more aggressive in responding to that monster than we have. Maybe we'll win the SEC this year and the powers that be can laugh and say, "No IPF? No problem!" I'm just saying that, to me, it feels like we've fallen a few steps behind some of our SEC brethren and haven't shown the same type of feverish, hyper-competitive drive to chase down the Jones' that some of them have exhibited.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +637

That is what I am trying to say Iron. Maybe Oaktown can understand this . He just does not quite get the fact we are not Florida anymore. Not like it was anyway. The state of Florida now belongs to all schools. The image of Florida HS kids wanting to go to state U is over. Auburn , Bama , UGA , UT can now lineup and battle UF on equal ground. And why does FSU seem to get the top kids in the state ? Look no further than their facilities. We better have the enhancements to attract these kids now ! We better be willing to fight the arms race Jeremy !
  14. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +637
    Overrated meaning that we don't have a lot of commitments that come out of it. Our fans get way to hyped up waiting , then nothing comes. Just watch , and read the expectations from our fan base...
    # 2 screw Urb.
  15. floridavol29

floridavol29 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    This "arms race" has been going on for a while. Here's a list of projects that were underway or planned in 2012.

Arizona: In the midst of a $378 million north end zone expansion at Arizona Stadium that will add about 7,000 seats.

Arkansas: Recently broke ground on a new, $35 million football operations center.

Baylor: In beginning stages of building new stadium at estimated cost of $250 million.

Boise State: Recently broke ground on a new, $22 million football complex.

California: Completely renovating Memorial Stadium at an estimated cost of $321 million. As of April, the school had raised $35 million with a goal of $270 million in donations by summer 2013.

Florida State: Currently raising funds for new indoor practice facility, with hopes of breaking ground this fall.

Iowa: In phase one of a two-part, $57 million plan to build a new practice facility and operations building.

Kansas State: Has embarked on $75 million project to upgrade west side of Bill Snyder Family Stadium.

LSU: Recently approved $100 million expansion of Tiger Stadium, bringing capacity close to 100,000 seats.

Louisville: Has begun fundraising for a $7.5 million, 18,000-foot addition to its football complex.

Michigan State: Installing new $10 million scoreboard at Spartans Stadium that will be largest in the state.

Mississippi State: Expected to open new, $25 million football complex in January.

Nebraska: Finishing a $63.5 million expansion of the east side of Memorial Stadium that will add about 6,000 seats.

Oklahoma State: Construction underway on a $16 million indoor practice facility, plus new outdoor fields that will cost $3 million.

Ohio State: Spending $7 million for new scoreboard and improved sound system and other touches at Ohio Stadium.

Syracuse: Upgrading locker rooms and other team areas at a cost of $5 million.

Tennessee: In final stages of a $45 million new football complex that will contain 145,000 square feet.

TCU: Expected to complete $164 million expansion and renovation to Amon G. Carter Stadium in time for this year's season opener.

USC: Scheduled to open the $70 million, 110,000-square foot John McKay Center this summer; complex includes locker rooms, training areas, football offices and a two-story video board.

Utah: Coaches are working in trailers as a new, $30 million football complex is being built.

Virginia: Planning $13 million indoor practice facility.

Virginia Tech: Has announced plans to build a $20 million indoor practice facility.

Washington: Work is ongoing on a $250 million renovation of Husky Stadium.

Wisconsin: In beginning stages of an $86 million upgrade to locker rooms, weight training and academic areas at Camp Randall Stadium, which also got new turf this summer.

It's not like UF has bad facilities,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But when the competition is showing these kids stuff like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it's important. The instate ties don't seem to matter as much anymore. As with everything else, the world is getting smaller.
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,001
    All I am saying is that if we're going to make investments because of recruiting, let's make sure we understand the best ROI investments to make.

I have no idea where an IPF fits from that perspective, but just tossing 15-20 million dollars at a "solution" doesn't make sense if that solution isn't a damned big part of solving the perceived problem.
  17. gatorright

gatorright Member

Ratings Received:
    +91
    I agree Oak...until we define the issue, if there is one, how can we fix it? scum has awful and antiquated facilities (so I have heard) and has no difficulty recruiting (well, until they got this coach).
  18. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +637
    A good Republican.. The Party of No ! ;);)
  19. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +637
    Because we do not have an IPF.;)
    • Funny Funny x 3
  20. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +546
    Well played sir.
    • Funny Funny x 1