2015 Gator Commitment #8: WR/TE Kalif Jackson 6-5 197 of Duncan U. Fletcher HS, Neptune Beach FL

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Diesel350z, Jul 29, 2014.

1. GatorsGuru

GatorsGuru Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    How much did he sign for?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +79
    I've seen Jackson listed as one of the Top 10 WR's in Florida this year. While he might not be the every down player maker, he is clearly a very good WR that will fit well into a system as a 3rd down/red zone option. If UF lands a big time #1 WR, then Jackson will be a good, hard to defend second option for UF.

I think this is a good pick up for UF.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. cavemen77

cavemen77 Member

Ratings Received:
    +69
    Looks to me like a poor man's Mike Evans. Same body type (just needs to put on some weight). Both of them are fantastic at snagging the ball in traffic and using their body as leverage to catch the ball. Both are striders that can leap and refuse to let the other man get the ball. If he's half as productive as Evans this guy was a steal. Fantastic pickup for us. I love guys like this that fly under the radar.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,548
    Glad we got this kid. I know his HS coach (former UF walk-on OL) who speaks very highly of him. Fletcher is a great school. We haven't had a scholarship player from there in a while (Jackson, maybe?).

Just an FYI, but Doering wasn't "offered". Maybe he was offered the chance to walk-on...but he wasn't "offered" a scholarship. He later earned one, however.
  5. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    at 6'5 a 4.6 40 is not bad at all. I see mismatch problems and a red zone weapon and a player that can move the chains
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,264
    The 4.6 is encouraging. He just needs to turn that into football speed. Demarcus Robinson was listed at 4.6 in high school. He obviously had football speed, mainly a great burst right off the line. My guess is that this kid has a burst at about 20 yards but rarely gets to run that far before cutting, curling or stopping to catch the ball. I'm not worried about his weight either. Moral Stephens played at about 205 last season. He's listed at over 240 now.

IMHO, Jackson is a TE and not a WR. I think he could be a great one. We've had crap luck with top rated TEs. Glad to see the coaches taking a different approach.
  7. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,169
    This seems to be the trend in both the nfl and college, taking the basketball athlete and turn him into a hybrid TE. Or convert a big WR into one. Jimmy Graham and Antonio gates come to mind.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,458
    Willie was an amazing athlete and extremely strong. I played hoops against him many times
  9. 32250Gator

32250Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    Kyle Jackson was the last, C4 before him, and I think the last before them were Corey (walk on), the Bartley brothers, and Brady Ackerman (walk on?)
  10. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +207
    Duke's slot wr last year was 6'6" 230. Would def explain going after Jackson.
  11. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +659
    Wow that's really interesting, I didn't know that. Honestly, I'm fine with Jackson in pretty much any receiver position, including TE. The kid has a knack for coming down with the ball.