2015 ESPN 300

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by eastowest, Feb 22, 2014.

1. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Tex am-7....7 Great start
    LSU-6......9
    ALA-5......7
    FSU-5......7
    ARK-4.....5
    UGA-4.....5
    SC-3........3
    UT-3.......7
    MISS ST-2.....9
    OLE MISS-1.....4
    VANDY-1........1
    UF-0......3 SLOW START?
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +782
    Who cares? It pays to be patient. Three players in the top ten are considered leans to UF, two of them very strong leans. What's most important at this point is getting players interest and creating a good rapport with their assigned recruiter and position coach. If Ivey and Jefferson decide to commit early, we jump into the top five immediately. Any two of Campbell, Cowart or Holland would put us at #1. I'd be surprised if Campbell committed really early, but those other four look orange and blue already. I don't care when they commit. Early commits certainly didn't help us much last year, except for Grier.

We've got too much to prove on the field to expect or even try to nail down top drawer talent this early unless they are are already predisposed to being Gators, but we're too good a program to start handing out ships left and right like Champ did during his first recruiting cycle. Not that he had much choice.
  3. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    We don't finish strong, we don't start quickly, we don't do this, that or half a dozen of the other...

We're all united on these boards in wanting to see a good recruiting class but sometimes, these threads make me scratch my head. It's nearly a year until signing day(!). Besides, if all of those recruits listed above stick to their pledges, I'll eat my hat.
  4. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +782
    This is entirely new territory, winning only four games but trying to recruit like a national power. We are way too critical of coaches in this department. Coaches don't sell players. Players buy programs. We just went from being Neiman Marcus to becoming Walmart in one year. The best we can hope for is to create the illusion or highlight the reality that last season was an aberration. We hire coaches based on their ability to develop talent and put competitive teams on the field. Salesmanship is an entirely different thing. You can teach it to a certain degree, but there is only so much bandwidth an assistant coach has to do his entire job.

I like hiring coaches who are decent, honest men who will make these young men better prepared for life and a a football future if that's in the cards for them. The should also be very good at teaching players their position responsibility and getting ready for every game. I don't like blaming them for "missing" on prospects or "losing" commitments. They didn't do it. The players did. It's not mind control. Even if it was, they're teenagers. I can't even get my kids to return phone calls or texts much less commit to anything.

I hate hucksters, salesmen who can "sell ice-cream to eskimos." I hope we don't hire coaches like that. We're not selling ice cream and certainly not to eskimos.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,072
    I wouldn't worry much. There's at least a handful waiting to see what we do; #2 on the list especially.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    "Leaning" doesn't always equate to signing... I'd like to see us going for 4/5 star kids first and then shore-up the 3 star types.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. jerry813

jerry813 Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    Will Muschamp is an advocate of recruiting players based on their tape. But that's not to say we aren't going after 4/5 star players, just look at all the kids showing up at Junior days we have some of the top ranked players interested in us and visiting us often.

It's also very early in the recruiting process so we can't control when the top players choose to commit either.
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    This sounds about right. I guess the early success of the other SEC programs are residual results from last years season. I think it will pick up when we start playing like champions again... this year. No sarcasm.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jerry813

jerry813 Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    Totally agree, everyone knows what we're capable of. The stars seem to be flirting with the idea of commitment, but they better pull the trigger once they see we are the real deal again. :cool:
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    It is interesting how quickly TAMU has been able to leverage UTexas' stumblings and its SEC invite to dominating Texas recruiting.

As far as UF or any team on that list, its way too early to get happy or upset either way, but you can almost guarantee that if UF has a decent season in 2014 UF will have a top 5 recruiting class.

UF just had a top 10 class when it had its worst year in 30 and its #1 recruiting rival won the MNC, and its #2 recruiting rival (Miami) had its best year in 10.

All the angst and emotion that will be spilt on this site over the next 12 months will be pointless.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    So many factors to consider when recruiting is involved. We always seem to rank in the top ten, some years even # 1. I think we'll always be hovering with the elite in recruiting, as long as we don't completely let the program go to hell. And I don't think Foley is going to let that happen . The last 3 coaches we've had Zook, UM, and CM are all great recruiters. Even SOS had great classes 90% of the time. If the coach can't recruit to this program, then there is a serious problem. But nothing to worry about at this time.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +782
    I'd be surprised if we don't get three of Ivey, Jefferson, Cowart, Holland and Campbell. Now Damien Harris, the #1 RB in the country is interested in UF and Jake Fruhmorgen is starting to lean back in UF's direction. That's the start of a top three class. Those first four are considered strong leans to UF and every one of them is a five star prospect on one list or another.

I don't care when these guys commit as long as we get most of them. I don't care what our ranking is until then. Coercing players into early commitments is no longer effective, as we saw from last year. Let's give these kids the time they need to make the right choice. We all know what that is.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,100
    Fruhmorgan should committing this week or next. A week ago I predicted he chooses us. Once he eliminated bama and narrowed it down to Clemson and us, it was an easy decision. He loves coach summers, I never like our chances going head to head with bama for elite O-linemen because of the recent success of their linemen going pro but you got to like our chances for linemen over clemson. A rb or WR might be a bit harder but OL should favor us. First him than Martez Ivey. Not to mention like someone posted we are in good position to land 3 of the top 5 in the nation (on rivals) in Byron cowart (#3) , Cece Jefferson(#5) and damien harris (#4) oh yeah and still gaining interest from #1 overall trenton thompson (dt) I still think at this moment he is UGA bound but we do have coach lawing , very good recent success with dt( floyd, easley) and a lot of momentum from securing top Dt's holley, clark and Willis III. I never Count out a defensive players if champ really wants him. That's big interest from 4 of the top 5 overall and 2 of the top O-linemen coming off our worst season in 35 years going 4-8. That's nothing short of remarkable recruiting.
    • Agree Agree x 4