2015 Class - A Bit Concerning?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by alvarez16, Apr 16, 2014.

1. alvarez16

alvarez16 Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    I understand its early on and we are still 10 months away from NSD 2015, but at what point do we get concerned with our recruiting for the 2015 class?
    • Ranked 39th on Rivals and outside the Top 15 on ESPN.
    • Don't have any recruits in the Rivals Top 250 or ESPN Top 100.
    • Only have 5 commitments
    As I mentioned, I understand its early in the process but there's teams like Bama, Penn St, TA&M, Tenn, FSU, Nebraska, etc. who have twice as many commitments already (10) and several Rivals Top 250 players.

The past few years we've started off pretty strong on the recruiting trail, cooled off for a few months until about January when we got some big commits, and then as it usually happens, completely cooled off in Feb.
  2. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +436
    I hear what you are saying, but we are ranked lower just because we only have the 5 commits at this time. We are in really good shape with several top 20 type recruits. I think we either lead, or are in the top 3 for Martez Ivey, CeCe Jefferson, Byron Cowart, Jeff Holland, and George Campbell. We also lead for Adonis Thomas, who is a very solid 4 star LB. If we land all of those guys (not impossible), then there is no way we finish outside of the top 5 this year. It would be nice if any one of them pulled the trigger on a commitment to the good guys to get the ball rolling. I don't see that happening for a while though, unfortunately.

Also, let's not forget that we have a coach on a bit of a hot seat :) I think that may be causing some of the recruits to take a wait and see attitude this early in the process. If we have a decent season, I think we'll have a great class.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gators2015_BB3

Gators2015_BB3 Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    It is WAYY to early to even consider worrying about this. Besides, we are in contention with alot of top players that will most likely not be deciding any time soon.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,088
    By all accounts, we lead for all five of those players, all of whom are consensus five star prospects. Muschamp does not push for early commitments and I don't blame him. The way recruiting went in the last cycle, there is simply no point in getting players to commit publicly more than a month or two from signing day. I don't mind these players doing the wait and see thing. I think they're going to like what they see. So will a lot of other good players who aren't yet considering the Gators.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gators2015_BB3

Gators2015_BB3 Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    The new 2015 ESPN 300 came out today and 4 of those guys are ranked in the top 11. Jeffery Holland comes in at 24th. I cant even imagine if we land all of those players
  6. alvarez16

alvarez16 Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    I know that we are in good shape with several Top 10/20 players but Muschamp isn't really known to be a good closer with top recruits. Think about these players that we were favorites or in the Top 3 for the past few years..... Adoree Jackson, Damian Prince, Lorenzo Carter (not to mention Cook and Lane), Steffon Diggs, Tracy Howard, Nelson Agholor, Darius Hamilton, Josh Harvey-Clemons....

Besides Tabor last year and Fowler 2 years ago, all of our other Top recruits were early commitments. VH3, Humphries, Bullard, Kelvin Taylor, Grier.

As far as Muschamp being in the hot seat, I certainly agree, along with our record last year, that these are part of the reason but it doesn't take away from my main point: should we be concerned?

Likewise, I know its early in the process but its also early in the process for other schools that already have twice as many commitments as us and have high quality players.

Won't do anybody any good (besides our staff) to be concerned this early on, just want to have realistic expectations for where we finish with this class.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +436
    With the exception of Agholor, Lane and Cook, all of the players that you mentioned chose to stay close to home. USC was Agholor's dream school, and not many expected him to pick UF on signing day. Lane and Cook are head cases, and addition by subtraction. They and FSU deserve each other.

The 2015 players mentioned are all from Florida, and most are from areas that UF does pretty well in (Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando). Judging by how many times Ivey, Jefferson, Holland, and Cowart were on campus this spring, I'd say we are in pretty good shape. I felt like last year we didn't do a good job of getting the top in-state kids. I already like how we are all over the top Florida talent this year.

Just because we haven't had a ton of highly rated commits later in recent cycles doesn't have any bearing on this year. It is impossible to draw a correlation, because these kids are individuals making their own decisions and setting their own timelines. In my opinion, it would be worse to try to pressure them into commiting early. Recent flippers like the afformentioned Cook and Lane, plus Valentine, Phillips, Lammons, etc. have changed my view on the early commits. I'd rather the kids take their time, make good decisions, and stick with them.

You asked if we should be concerned, and IMO the answer is no. I actually feel like this is going to be a monster class for us. The biggest concern for this recruiting class will likely be on field performance. That is the biggest variable affecting this class. If we have a bad season and Muschamp doesn't keep his job, then the recruiting class blows up and all these top kids will go elsewhere. If they show improvement, and the offense looks much better in the process, then I think this class is easily in the top 5-7 nationally. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but that is my opinion anyway.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. thedyc09

thedyc09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +102
    Marcus Lewis (one of the top 10 CBs, #2 prospect in DC) named us his leader on Sunday. Feel better? We lead for nearly every top prospect in Florida this year - none of which are in South Florida, so there should be a lot less headaches dealing with them. It would nice to get 1 or 2 of them in the fold, but letting them take their time is much better than pushing for a commitment.
  9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +140
    Losing out on out-of-state 5 star recruits does not bother me. Now if the FLA 2015 recruits start committing elsewhere, then I'll get concerned.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +988
    Agree. If staff puts it together on the field we'll be just fine.
  11. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,537
    Hope this makes you feel better alvarez16

"@ZachAbolverdi: Rivals100 CB Marcus Lewis has committed to the #Gators per his Twitter . He visited # UF last month.
  12. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +436
    Haha, was just creating a thread for him. Awesome pick up.
  13. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,537
    Yeah that's funny cause as you were creating the thread I was posting on this pessimistic thread then as you were responding to me here u was responsible Di g to your thread there. Lol
  14. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +755
    It's early but this hurts. Saban is cleaning up.

@ZachAbolverdi: Two of #Bama's four Rivals100 commits landed today were #UF targets & Coconut Creek Monarch teammates Shawn Burgess-Becker & Calvin Ridley.
  15. Diesel350z

Ratings Received:
    +755
    Wow Bama is just cleaning house! 5 commits in ONE DAY!

All 5 are Scout 300 prospects.
  16. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,537
    Who are they. I know Fitzpatrick, Becker and ridley. Who are the other 2?
  17. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,537
    What did bama serve a punch bowl full of money or something? Smh
  18. Diesel350z

Ratings Received:
    +755
    Durante and Lewis
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,537
    I like that you told me but only gave me enough of a lead that I had to investigate who durante and Lewis were. A south beach athlete and a miss. Inside Linebacker. Thanks Diesel350z and take that Fsu and TPD. That's how you investigate shit. :) hell Google would have found the rapist in the time it took y'all to take her statement. :D
  20. Diesel350z

Ratings Received:
    +755
    Lol you should already know who these guys are rookie.